Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 12:26am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Welcome!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Fallen Flags
   Lehigh & Hudson River
(Moderators: Flemington Flyer, njvike, Charlie Ricker)
   Welcome!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Welcome!  (Read 390 times)
Charlie_O
Historian
Welcome!

« on: Sep 13th, 2004, 5:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Welcome to the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway forum!  

From its humble beginnings in the Warwick Valley, its expansion to the Pequest, and its Allentown connections....to its final days and the coming of Conrail...we hope to encourage a lively and interesting discussion of the L&HR, its people, its equipment, and the communities it served.

Please feel free to share your experiences, stories, pictures, and questions ...or anything related to Grinnell Burt's tough little railroad.  
Welcome abaord!

-Charlie O

« Last Edit: Sep 13th, 2004, 5:47pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Welcome!

« Reply #1 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 8:24pm »

Charlie,
Thanks for your warm welcome! I know next to nothing about the L&HR and hope to learn alot on this forum. I think I speak for everyone when I say I am glad to have this forum and glad to have you three as moderators.

Thanks again Charlie, Jim, and Ken.

-Jeff

Photo courtesy the Railroad Fallen Flags website by George Elwood at www.rr-fallenflags.org. Jay Potter Photo. Gary Stuebben Collection.

njvike
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 8:32pm »

on Sep 13th, 2004, 8:24pm, Jeff_K. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Charlie,
Thanks for your warm welcome! I know next to nothing about the L&HR and hope to learn alot on this forum. I think I speak for everyone when I say I am glad to have this forum and glad to have you three as moderators.

Thanks again Charlie, Jim, and Ken.

-Jeff

Photo courtesy the Railroad Fallen Flags website by George Elwood at www.rr-fallenflags.org. Jay Potter Photo. Gary Stuebben Collection.

Jeff,

This is a real nice shot. I wonder if the owner of the web site wouldn't mind if I took this shot and cropped it out and put this train onto the abandoned ROW in Franklin?

I also have very little knowledge of the L&HR but have caught on pretty quick. I like it because it shared some track with the NYS&W which is one of my favorites.

If anyone has any shots of the L&HR and wouldn't mind me being a little creative, I would like to show what the L&HR would look like today at some of the Abandoned ROWs.

Ken

Alco83

« Reply #3 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 11:48pm »

on Sep 13th, 2004, 5:36pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Welcome to the Lehigh & Hudson River Railway forum!  

From its humble beginnings in the Warwick Valley, its expansion to the Pequest, and its Allentown connections....to its final days and the coming of Conrail...we hope to encourage a lively and interesting discussion of the L&HR, its people, its equipment, and the communities it served.

Please feel free to share your experiences, stories, pictures, and questions ...or anything related to Grinnell Burt's tough little railroad.  
Welcome abaord!

-Charlie O

Well, good luck, my friend , and the rest of the moderators here of the L&HR.  I hope she flies.  By the way, and perhaps this has been asked already, was the L&HR an exclusive all-Alco road?

Parkersburg Branch: Monongah Division
American Rails: Resource Guide to American Railroading
ARF: A Family-friendly Railfan Community!
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 12:02am »

on Sep 13th, 2004, 11:48pm, Alco83 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
By the way, and perhaps this has been asked already, was the L&HR an exclusive all-Alco road?

Diesels, yes, all Alcos...
Started with a fleet of RS3's and upgraded to C420's.

As for steam, they used a variety of Cooke steamers prior to 1894 and went all-Baldwin after 1894, with some overlap. The last of LH&R's Cooke-built steamers (#11) was sold for scrap in 1929.

-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
hummel1237
Historian
  lhr_map_new.jpg - 175942 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 2:57am »

Welcome Everyone!  

Thanks Charlie and Ken for getting the ball rolling...

I hope everyone has as much fun with this as I know I will. This railroad has a wonderful history that includes not just diesel but steam as well. You get the best of both worlds with the L&HR...

Enjoy...

Jim...  

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (175942 bytes, 982x736 pixels)

Click Here to View Image lhr_map_new.jpg - 175942 Bytes

njvike
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 6:11am »

Charlie,

A very nice opening!!!

njvike
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 14th, 2004, 6:12am »

on Sep 14th, 2004, 2:57am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Welcome Everyone!  

Thanks Charlie and Ken for getting the ball rolling...

I hope everyone has as much fun with this as I know I will. This railroad has a wonderful history that includes not just diesel but steam as well. You get the best of both worlds with the L&HR...

Enjoy...

Jim...  

Jim,

Thanks for supporting this and thanks to Henry as well.

joseph
Chaser
  sprngdl5.jpg - 43904 Bytes
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28th, 2006, 8:59pm »

After haunting this forum for a while and contributing every once in a while I decide to peak in this thread, and what a treat.  The C-420's rather formidable profile from up close has always been a favorite of mine.  Here is a C420 shot, there might be an ex-L&H in there somewhere.  I am not to good at keeping track of units lineage
joseph

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/LHR/sprngdl5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »