Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 2:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

what is this locomotive?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
   what is this locomotive?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: what is this locomotive?  (Read 556 times)
SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

what is this locomotive?
  Juice/RR_019.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« on: Jul 27th, 2010, 8:42pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

when i was 7, my dad always took me to the train station near ny house to railfan. one july day my dad let me take a picture of one. i caught this rare amtrak train roaring by, i was lucky to catch it! does anyone know what locomotive this is?  

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: what is this locomotive?
  Rare_Amtrak_Train.jpg - 79873 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Jul 27th, 2010, 8:54pm »

i found it

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/Rare_Amtrak_Train.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 8:39am »

SRR90 -  

Welcome Aboard!

Just another day on the former PENN line, possibly on the Washington - New York segment? Where were you when you caught this scene?

I can't recall the power type displayed. I'm not much of an AMTK spotter myself. The particular class of power had a great deal of service...

................Vern................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 9:19am »

SRR90, the locomotive in question is a GE 6,000-hp E-60, one of the first order for new electric locomotives placed by Amtrak in the early 1970s.  These locomotives, as delivered, were originally numbered in the 900 series, but were re-numbered into the low 600s during their final years.

You caught No. 607 here in her old age-- these locomotives were scrapped not many years after you got to see her.  Sister locomotive No. 603 (original number 964) survives at the Railroad Museum of Pennsylvania, at whose website I found out all this information, and a lot more.

http://www.rrmuseumpa.org/about/roster/e60.shtml

Regards,

Norm

« Last Edit: Jul 28th, 2010, 9:22am by Norm_Anderson » Logged
SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 4:32pm »

HwyHaulier: i was at the linden train station nine years ago, in my fathers car. theirs a date at the bottom of the picture

Norm_Anderson: thank you  

P.S. that picture was the first train pic i ever took, thats what made me a railfan  

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Jul 28th, 2010, 8:42pm »

That's an impressive photo for a 7-year-old photographer!

As you've undoubtedly seen on the website, by July 2001 the E60s were spending most of their time sitting idle.  So this is not only a defining moment in a young railfan's life, it also qualifies, given the date, as a "rare find."

A photo to be proud of.  Thank you for sharing it.

Regards,

Norm

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 6:39am »

on Jul 28th, 2010, 4:32pm, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
P.S. that picture was the first train pic i ever took, thats what made me a railfan  
Wow, MUCH better than the first train pic I took.
CHESSIEMIKE

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 6:40am by CHESSIEMIKE » Logged

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:33am »

SRR90 -  

Linden, eh? Thought I had it spotted right as out on the old PENN, on the now NEC...

What on earth were you working with? This isn't product of a Kodak box Brownie with a 1/25th shutter! Weighing what  
"free advice" might possibly add anything. The photo might take some impressive "sharpening" and "crisping" with current  
photo editors. On the other hand, what's the point? With old, earlier cameras running film stock, this would be a quite  
good action view...

.......................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:41am »

HwyHaulier

yes i took the E-60 with my dads very old camera. now that i have a HD camera and much smaller, i still go their whenever i can to railfan amtrak and NJ transit. and maybe a couple of freights. plus i go to the strasburg railroad to railfan as well

Norm_Anderson

is 603 the last surviving in its class?

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:49am »

HwyHaulier: P.S. that line was a former Pennsylvania and Reading, both railroads used that line before Amtrak and conrail

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 8:58am »

on Jul 29th, 2010, 8:49am, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
HwyHaulier: P.S. that line was a former Pennsylvania and Reading, both railroads used that line before Amtrak and conrail

SRR90 -

Prior a great deal of re-ordering of the Eastern Lines, and start of AMTK (1971), consider the earlier, Baltimore/ Washington - Jersey City  
Royal Blue Line. Long established route B & O - RDG - C N J, all separate and distinct properties. None of it ran on P R R (PENN) iron...

There are various websites, and a great stock of info here, recalling the era...

.........................Vern.......................

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 9:56am »

my father told me that the reading and the jersey central worked on the Penn line in the 1930s-1950s. my great great grandad work on the reading as a gate man

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 10:19am »

on Jul 29th, 2010, 9:56am, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
my father told me that the reading and the jersey central worked on the Penn line in the 1930s-1950s. my great great grandad work on the reading as a gate man

SRR90 -

Not to contravene, but... We are getting much too close to upsetting the quite enthused C N J believers on this board. <G>

The B & O trains very much ran: (B&O origin) - B & O - Wayne Jct. (Phila.) - RDG - South Bond Brook, NJ - C N J -  
Jersey City. It was all the track of the respective players. PENN was the archrival on the same business.

B & O schedule, dated 1941, here: http://streamlinerschedules.com/concourse/track3/capitolltd194106.html

Very precisely, there was a period circa First World War, and ending 1926 (?), B & O trains did serve at PENN STATION,  
Manhattan. On the North Jersey side, though, the schedules interchanged with C N J...

I hate to question recollections of others, but...  

................Vern................

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2010, 10:56am by HwyHaulier » Logged

SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jul 29th, 2010, 10:12pm »

oh   ..........can we get back to the subject please?

Norm_Anderson
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Jul 30th, 2010, 1:19am »

on Jul 29th, 2010, 8:41am, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

is 603 the last surviving in its class?

I honestly don't know.  Again, according to the Museum's website, there were twenty-six E60s originally delivered to Amtrak in the mid-1970s.  At some point, ten were sold off to New Jersey Transit, and two somehow made the trek to far northwestern New Mexico (four corners area) to the Navajo Mine Railroad.  (I'd like to know how THAT was accomplished, since the Navajo Mine Railroad has NO outside rail connection-- that's a lotta size and weight to be hauled up a highway from Gallup...).  The two units in New Mexico were still performing their duties in 2001, but that's the most recent info I found.  As for NJT, I'm not sure about those units, either.

I think what I may be able to say is that the 603 is perhaps the only survivor among the fourteen E60s that remained in Amtrak's hands, and is almost certainly the only E60 still wearing Amtrak livery.  Given my own early railfan memories (and how they can still "grab" me, 50 years later), I'd say that if you live within driving distance of the Museum in Pennsylvania, she'd be well worth the visit.

Regards,

Norm

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Jul 31st, 2010, 2:07pm »

Amtrak used it's few remaining E60's until around late 2003 early '04, mostly on the heavier Florida, Crescent and Carolina through trains where their speed restriction (90?) wasn't an issue due to the mix of car consists(also speed restricted)
Reportedly, the then new Amtrak Pres. Gunn at the time spotted one on a ready track and, knowing these had way past-due retirement orders, directed the pantagraphs torch cut off the units to prevent their further use. Pretty harsh, though apparently the operations department up to that point had refused to let them go as they free'd up AEM-7's for the faster corridor schedules. That last year I also saw them in Clocker service pulling solid trains of Heritage Budd Coaches(also speed restricted).  
I miss 'em and am glad at least one made it to the museum.  

BTW SRR90, thanks for posting the very cool shot, judging by the NJT Horizon coaches I would guess it was pulling one of those rush hour "Clockers" between Philly and NY?

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2010, 2:16pm by atlpete » Logged
SRR90
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Jul 31st, 2010, 3:11pm »

on Jul 31st, 2010, 2:07pm, atlpete wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Amtrak used it's few remaining E60's until around late 2003 early '04, mostly on the heavier Florida, Crescent and Carolina through trains where their speed restriction (90?) wasn't an issue due to the mix of car consists(also speed restricted)
Reportedly, the then new Amtrak Pres. Gunn at the time spotted one on a ready track and, knowing these had way past-due retirement orders, directed the pantagraphs torch cut off the units to prevent their further use. Pretty harsh, though apparently the operations department up to that point had refused to let them go as they free'd up AEM-7's for the faster corridor schedules. That last year I also saw them in Clocker service pulling solid trains of Heritage Budd Coaches(also speed restricted).  
I miss 'em and am glad at least one made it to the museum.  

BTW SRR90, thanks for posting the very cool shot, judging by the NJT Horizon coaches I would guess it was pulling one of those rush hour "Clockers" between Philly and NY?

so 603 IS the only one from its class?

and it was a Keystone Run? from Trenton heading to NY Penn Station

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Jul 31st, 2010, 4:03pm »

on Jul 31st, 2010, 3:11pm, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
so 603 IS the only one from its class?

Only one maybe still in Amtrak, again to expand on Norm's post, Navajo Mine picked up three (960,61 and 66) though per Diesel Shop roster
 http://www.thedieselshop.us/MPR.html  
one is off the roster now, and yeah Norm I wondered how they got there too, same thing with BM&LP, that had to be a heck of a "low boy" trailer.  

on Jul 31st, 2010, 3:11pm, SRR90 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
and it was a Keystone Run? from Trenton heading to NY Penn Station?

Maybe but I doubt it; the Keystones are Harrisburg Amtrak Svc., the "Clockers" NY-Philly, I don't think the one in your shot is Keystone due to the NJT coach trailing the unit.  

« Last Edit: Jul 31st, 2010, 4:10pm by atlpete » Logged
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #18 on: May 30th, 2011, 11:30am »

There are TWO surviving E60s.

#603 at Strasburg and #958 out in Jersey somewhere.  

While #603 was former Amtrak E60CH #964,  it was technically Rebuilt as an "E60MA".   The changes were mostly on the interior, and the movement of the number-boards and headlights occurred later (apparently, close coupled cars tended to sheer off the front faces of the E60s)

E60s that didn't get rebuilt into E60MA were leased to Commuter railroads (MARC, NJT),  before NJ transit bought the balance of the remaining E60CHs.  

#958 managed to survive, though it is HEAVILY tagged.  It otherwise appears to be in good shape.

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #19 on: May 30th, 2011, 11:33am »

on Jul 31st, 2010, 4:03pm, atlpete wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Maybe but I doubt it; the Keystones are Harrisburg Amtrak Svc., the "Clockers" NY-Philly, I don't think the one in your shot is Keystone due to the NJT coach trailing the unit.  

If you look more closely, they are not NJT coaches, but in fact "Horizon" fleet cars, based off the Comet II design.  The first in in Phase IV, and the next is in Phase III

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »