Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 1:56pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Mystery Loco 153
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
   Mystery Loco 153
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Mystery Loco 153  (Read 175 times)
CHNH
TRAINing
Mystery Loco 153
  ElecLoco153.jpg - 27213 Bytes
« on: Apr 21st, 2009, 11:23pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I came across this picture that was for sale on E-bay. It claimed to be New Haven electric, but I donít recognize it as such. I though it might have belonged to the Butte and Anaconda or the CN, but this may not be right either. Is this a Baldwin unit as well? I havenít found anything on No. 153. Any information would be appreciated.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/ElecLoco153.jpg
Click Image to Resize

atlpete
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Mystery Loco 153

« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2009, 11:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

It did belong to the CN, though not from one of the Quebec operations around Montreal but rather one of six built by BLW for CN predecessor Grand Trunk in 1908 for its St. Clair Tunnel operation between Port Huron Mich. and Sarnia Ont. These 66 ton units, lettered for the St Clair Tunnel Co. operated over the lines 4.2 miles under catenary energized at an unusual 3300 volts AC, developing 720 hp . The company also picked up an additional pair of similiar sized compatible BLW box-cabs form the South Shore in'27, rendered surplus after the CSS&SB converted to DC operation.
Your fine photo shows the unit in it's final configuration with roof railings, at some point they were re-numbered into the 150 series from the as delivered #1304-09. Originally operated in pairs on all but the shortest consists when one would suffice, as train length and weights increased over the years three and four unit sets including the ex-SS motors were the norm. The entire operation was successful both from an engineering and economic perspective, and only ended in 1958 due to the availability of diesels.  

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »