Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:10pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Stupid question about GG1s
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Stupid question about GG1s  (Read 778 times)
nkp_h6
Chaser

« on: Dec 3rd, 2007, 9:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Forgive my lack of knowledge about electric locomotives (I'm a steam man), but what are the reasons why none of the preserved GG1s are able to run? Isn't it something to do with differences in the voltage used now and the GG1 can't be modified to use it? It seams that I recall reading that somewhere, but why can't they be changed?

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Stupid question about GG1s

« Reply #1 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 10:25am »

NEC is still running on the 11 kilovolt 25 cycle AC the GG-1s were designed for. They cannot be modified (economically) to run on the proposed (but not yet implemented) upgrade (25 kilovolt, 60 cycle IIRC). But it is my understanding that the reason they have been taken of service is essentially that they are pretty old and fatigue life in frames has been reached (or exceeded) so cracks are appearing, plus the internal transformers use PCB fluids and those are now deemed very bad news if there are any leaks. So - no operating GG-1s any more, at least not in mainline service, and as far as I know none operating in museum or tourist line service, either.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 12:41pm »

Here's a link about why the're not oporatable.

http://www.steamlocomotive.com/GG1/#run

Hope this helps.
KB3PQD signing out

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007, 12:52pm by Railfan Entertainments » Logged

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 4th, 2007, 2:18pm »

First off, such a thing is not impossible, especially if an organization can come up with the money to totally restore a GG-1. However, a compromise is possible by having a power car, behind the GG-1, Diesel powered, that can provide the proper voltages and current requirements to the GG-1. For this, a transformer would not be required in the GG-1, but proper voltages from the power car would allow the GG-1 to ride the rails anywhere in the USA. That would put the modified, restored, operable, GG-1 on a par with UP's 3985 and 844. In fact it would be possible to double and triple head with these steamers. Bottom line is, MONEY. If such an organization or club could be located, even # 4800 could conceivably ride the rails once again.  

Another possibility; Gut the GG-1, paint her in Tuscan Red with Gold Cats Whiskers, and have B unit diesels behind her. Even though her traction motors are dead, the controls of the GG-1 will operate the B unit diesels and away you go. Essentially the GG-1 is a Cabbage car. Esthetically gorgeous, engineering wise, an extreme compromise.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 2:28am »

Quote:
the internal transformers use PCB fluids and those are now deemed very bad news if there are any leaks
The biggest thing about polychlorinated biphenyls nowadays is the fact that they have to be imported.  Monsanto stopped making them in 1977.

nkp_h6
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 11:04am »

Thanks for the info everyone. It sure would be nice to see one of those beasts run again.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 8:29pm »

Wouldn't we all.

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #7 on: Dec 7th, 2007, 11:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

As a lifelong G fan, I'd give ANYTHING to see one of these graceful, electrified mastadons from the golden era of American railroading operating under its own power once again. Even though I saw them "cut in half" by the platforms at Penn Station (Newark) when I did see them close up, and, from a distance otherwise (while growing up in the 60s), I can still recall the sense of drama.....and PRIDE.....these massive engines exuded when pulling into a station, with those loud, distinctive bells clanging away, gears growling, traction motors humming. Even the BELLS on these old dinosaurs sounded HEAVY! The G's were machines that truly reflected an era when such engines were designed by GENTLEMEN, to be operated by GENTLEMEN and to be cared for by GENTLEMEN. To see one again in operation would certainly rekindle fond memories to those of us old enough to remember them when they were still in service, and just think of the thrill the youngsters would get, from seeing an engine operating that that thier dads and grandads remember!  John

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2007, 11:22pm by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 4:05pm »

All it would take is money. A lot more than I ahve or ever expect to have. Maybe somebody can get Bill or Mylinda Gates interested in historic power....

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #9 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 9:45pm »

.....too bad The Trumpster isn't a railfan/GG-1 buff........

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Dec 9th, 2007, 2:16pm »

Hi John,

I believe you need to define "Gentlemen". If you ever got to know the enginemen and crew members of these magnificent engines you would know they had an EXCELLENT grasp of the English language, especially with respect to "Flowery" language. I remember hearing words that were not fit to print at the Sunnyside Yards when things did not quite go right with the GG-1's and the trains they were hooked up to.

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Dec 10th, 2007, 10:28am »

on Dec 9th, 2007, 2:16pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi John,

I believe you need to define "Gentlemen". If you ever got to know the enginemen and crew members of these magnificent engines you would know they had an EXCELLENT grasp of the English language, especially with respect to "Flowery" language. I remember hearing words that were not fit to print at the Sunnyside Yards when things did not quite go right with the GG-1's and the trains they were hooked up to.

Hi, Pennsy: LOL!! Actually, I was pretty well quoting Mr. Loewy himself at the 1977 dedication of that magnificent restored G at Union Station..... Yep, I can just imagine the language you heard by some G hoggers.....my late dad was a truck driver (and was Italian!) so....you can just imagine some of the "gems" he came up with(!!) NOT "family friendly" chat by ANY means!!  John

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Dec 10th, 2007, 11:00am »

Hi John,

Similarly, one side of my family is of Italian extraction. And that explains why 95 % of my Italian cannot be used in gentle company. Nice to know I am not the Lone Ranger.

O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #13 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 2:50am »

Hi, Pennsy: Yeah, my dad drove trucks for nearly 40 years (his dad was born in Corleone, Sicily!) and he was born in Hell's Kitchen in Manhattan(!!)  Dad was so proficient in his "colorful" language, he often made up his own to suit the occassion! A true PRO!!  John   PS: The GG-1 hoggers I recall as a kid who would often shout a "hello" to me when I was a kid while on the platforms at Newark, always used "non-salty" language.....guess he didn't want to offend Mom....nor expose me to any "rough" language.That was CLASS!! I still cannot believe it is nearly 25 years since I last saw a G in operation. Man, where did the time go?? I STILL hear them...and see them...in my dreams! I'll NEVER get over missing those graceful, pinstriped machines!

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2007, 2:52am by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 11:27am »

John, at least you got to see those beauties in action. The only time I see them are in pictures or museums. And how exciting is that? OK it's still pretty cool, but not as cool to see them run. You are one of the lucky ones, or maybe I'm just unfortunet? I don't know, I'm confused .
KB3PQD signing out

Henry
Historian
  GG1_vid.jpg - 39515 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 11:59am »

Speaking of GG1's, RFD-TV had tons of GG1's in last night's Trains & Locomotives. It was mostly PC and early CR era footage, but it was great to watch endless runbys of those magnificent beasts on both passenger and freight. They normally repeat the show on Saturday mornings, but it appears that this week it will be preempted by "Western Bloodstock Super Stallion Saturday."

If you get RFD-TV, set your VCR/PVR to record for an hour on Monday evenings at 6pm EST.

Here's a frame from one of the runbys on the video.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/GG1_vid.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 12:19pm »

Awsome. Too bad I don't have RFD-TV.
KB3PQD signing out

Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 8:07pm »

Like John and Alan, I grew up in the PRR's "electric territory", thus, the GG1 was the locomotive in my life. Many times, I was able to stand on the platforms at Philly's 30th Street Station ( in those days you could go down to the platforms even if you weren't travelling) and get "up close and personal" with a GG1 as it rumbled into the station with the traction motors and blowers humming and the bell clanging. And since the platforms were ( are) high level platforms, all you saw was those massive smooth sides as the unit slipped past.

BTW there is a good old B&W video ( on tape- but actually a film) as part of the "America's Railroad" series entitled "Wheels of Steel" which is a somewhat hokey ( the narration is the GG1 "talking") view of GG1's being serviced at Sunnyside Yards, and of a trip from NYP to DC. An interesting shot is of GG1 # 4866 in its classic paint scheme,before it was painted silver.

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2007, 8:09pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
O. WINSTON LINK esq.
Former Member

« Reply #18 on: Dec 11th, 2007, 11:53pm »

All: An outstanding GG-1 video is "LAST DAYS OF THE GG-1". What is really unusual about this tape is that a narrator supplies the "voice" of a GG-1, telling of the rich and fascinating history of himself and his pinstriped brothers (There's more than ONE "talking" GG -1 tape? Heck, I ain't complaining......I've long wondered about the great tales of the rails a G could spin if it were granted the power of speech!) . Great b/w historical footage, as well as beautiful "farewell" footage shot during the last years of the G's. Some great PC and early AMTK action as well! Another video is "GG-1" by Railroad Video. This tape features a cab ride on the NY&LB from South Amboy to Penn Station, New York, circa 1983. These tapes might still be available, or at least released on dvd. Man, do I miss these beautiful old machines! How well I can recalling hearing thier horns in the distance at night as a boy, when I'd be drifting off to sleep......ahhh, the good old days!!

« Last Edit: Dec 12th, 2007, 12:03am by JOHN_LUTHER_JONES » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Dec 12th, 2007, 12:42am »

Hi All,

Probably the best videos of the GG-1 were made by Mark I video. Check out their website. Lots of video in color and black and white.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »