Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:15pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

The Mighty GG-1: Brawn And Beauty
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: The Mighty GG-1: Brawn And Beauty  (Read 795 times)
Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« on: Oct 25th, 2005, 3:00am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

For those of us who feel that the late, great GG-1 was the finest electric locomotive ever to grace America's rails, it will come as no surprise whatsoever when I state that we could, quite literally, fill dozens of books with GG-1 photos, drawings, photos, diagrams, statistics, dates, and memories, and STILL never fully give this magnificent engine its full due. These massive locomotives commanded both awe and respect from a lowly human bieng, especially when viewed close-up for the very first time. These powerful electrified mastadons not only LOOKED heavy, but also SOUNDED heavy. No other electric locomotive in this country ever stimulated the interest and the imagination of folks four to ninety-four the way the mighty G did so long ago. At one time, other railroads operated electrics that not only were forever associated with their respective roads, but, also, were powerful, fascinating, and colorful machines in their own right. Any NH fan will tell you plenty about the truly majestic and powerful electrics that onced graced the rails from Manhattan to New Haven. Perhaps because the mighty, majestic G's "stole the spotlight" (if you will) from its juice-hungry brethern on other roads, NH's colorful electrics never got the spotlight they certainly deserved. Of course, we had other noteworthy electrics hauling tonnage and varnish on the Milwaukee, the Great Northern, the Virginian, and the South Shore.......engines, that, like the GG-1, were powerful, handsome, and legendary classics that were built to last. But, somehow, the loud, proud GG-1 had an aura about it that truly was memorable. Mr. Loewy, you certainly built one of the finest locomotives ever to burnish American rails!!

NHRR40
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: The Mighty GG-1: Brawn And Beauty

« Reply #1 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 5:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

i think the GG-1s were very famous and were not under rated in any way. they were great engines and i love em!

Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #2 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 5:48pm »

Well said!!! The G's were truly magnificent engines, any way you sliced 'em! Mr. Lowey was indeed a genius, as he designed a locomotive that was not only magnificent to behold, but also, more importantly, a locomotive that was solid, dependable, and efficient, not to mention very long lived!!

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 6:15pm »

on Oct 25th, 2005, 5:11pm, Railfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
i think the GG-1s were very famous and were not under rated in any way. they were great engines and i love em!

First of all, welcome to Railfan.net and enjoy!  Secondly, although I have seen GG-1's all my childhood life, I never really got to appreciate them until they were close to retirement.

Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 6:32pm »

Railfan: Didn't know you were a newcomer! Welcome to the BEST railfan forum around!! You're in the company of some really great minds here, whose knowledge of the rails is astounding!! RDG: Sorry you never got "up close" to a G while growing up. I was about four when I first got to see a G up close, at Penn Station (NY) well over 40 years ago. Even halved by the platform, this proud, massive machine just seemed so hulking and immense. That heavy-sounding bell really impressed me as it pulled up to the platform. I was lucky enough while growing up to live a block away from where I could look out upon the Jersey meadows, where I could see G-hauled trains (as well as the old MP-54's) dashing back and forth to and from New York, just outside the Bergen Portals. Great memories of a great engine!!

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005, 6:33pm by RARITAN_CLOCKER » Logged
NHRR40
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:40pm »

Thank you for the welcoming guys. yes i think i will like these forums a lot im meeting some nice people already! long live the GG-1s!

Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 9:57pm »

Railfan: Glad to have you aboard!!  And, I agree, "LONG LIVE THE GG-1!!"        (From "RAILS UNDER THE MIGHTY HUDSON" by Brian J. Cudahy) : "..........designated the GG-1, the fleet eventually numbered 139 units, and partisians insist it was the finest piece of railway equipment that has ever been built------anywhere, anytime, by anybody."

« Last Edit: Oct 25th, 2005, 10:09pm by RARITAN_CLOCKER » Logged
u25b
Chaser

« Reply #7 on: Oct 25th, 2005, 11:42pm »

I saw a show on TV on Monday night and it showed a spotless Tuscan red GG1 arriving at an unknown big city station. You are right-truly awesome!
But just a small point, I thought Raymond Loewy designed the outward appearance (the sheetmetal) rather that the machinery.

Regards Wes

Wes Harris

Save what you can today,too much has already been lost forever!!
Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #8 on: Oct 26th, 2005, 12:11am »

Wes: You are quite right. Mr. Loewy designed and styled the carbody, not the mechanics. But, his sleek, areodynamic design certainly helped the big G's "split the wind"!!  For a locomotive as powerful as the GG-1 was designed to be, a touch of genius was bought by Raymond Loewy, the noted industrial designer. His work was popular in an era when streamlining was in vogue, from household appliances to autos, streetcars, buses, and railroad engines.  In 1976, Mr. Loewy recalled that the PRR had built one prototype of the GG-1, which was entirely encrusted with rivets, with overlapping metal sheets. So what he suggested, right from the start, that they weld the entire body right from the beginning. Loewy made a clay model and did some renderings embodying his ideas for the locomotive's design. Eventually, the PRR saw things Loewy's way, after recovering from their initial shock of at his radical suggestion of a welded shell. PRR draftsmen worked up the Loewy design, and a full-sized model was eventually constructed at PRR's Wilmington shops. Loewy next made a few refinements directly on the model, then pronounced the design ready for production.

silver_champion
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Nov 11th, 2005, 6:14pm »

The late great GG1 lasted over 50 years of service. Pulling 15 cars up to 100 mph. I love that engine. When I was a kid in the 50 and 60s, I was at the Darby station watching them ride the rails for hours on end.

Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 2:01pm »

The biggest problem the GG1 had, with respect to its "National" recognition was the fact that it could only operate in the East ( on what is now the NEC). And this was because heavy electrification didn't really take hold outside of the NEC ( I realize that there are some notable exceptions) because of this, most of the country never got to get "up close and personal" with the GG1's the way that those of us in PRR Electric territory did. IMHO, if electrification  had become more universal, you would have seen many more GG1's, and they would have operated over a much more extensive territory.

« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2005, 2:02pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #11 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 2:08pm »

Hi Walt,

I don't disagree with you often, so live this one up.

There were 139 GG-1's built and in operation.  

As far as I recollect, no other electric Engine, American, was so mass produced. It really set the stage for the Diesels, which were routinely mass produced. Probably the F-3's and F-7's were built in larger quantities.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 4:50pm »

True, there were a significant number of GG1's built ( primarily because of the extremely high density of PRR electric territory traffic), but they could only be seen in the relatively small area between NYC- DC and Phila- Harrisburg. Imagine how many ( or variations on the "theme") might have been built if you could have run them all the way to Chicago or to the West Coast.

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Nov 15th, 2005, 6:05pm »

Hi Walt,

Probably one of my favorite topics for discussion that I get into is at The Train Stop, in San Dimas, CA. At this model RR hobby shop, the subject for discussion always seems to come up when I am visiting, Wouldn't it have been great to see GG-1's hauling freight and passenger traffic up and around Horseshoe Curve

We always seem to get hung up on the expense of electrifying the area, all the way, probably to Chicago. But it does boggle the mind to be able to see as many as four GG-1's with a fully loaded, endless freight, climbing Horseshoe Curve, heading west. I already have videotapes (Mark I video) showing three and four GG-1's at the point of a long freight.

silver_champion
Historian
  3.jpg - 122059 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 8:02am »

Can someone tell me if this was the first GG1 build? The GG1 in the back of the picture.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (122059 bytes, 1024x685 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 3.jpg - 122059 Bytes

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 10:40am »

Hi Silver,

Off the top of my head I will place the birthdate of the GG-1 at around 1935. I believe the # 4800 hauled the first passenger train to Wash DC under catenary in 1939. We are talking about a really long lived electric engine.

silver_champion
Historian

« Reply #16 on: Mar 17th, 2006, 7:56pm »

I don't thing there is any engine that run a daily service as long as the "GG1".

chuchubob
Historian
  76_04-24_4930.jpg - 82102 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 2:49pm »

New York to Florida train approaching South Street, Philadelphia, on april 24, 1976

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/76_04-24_4930.jpg
Click Image to Resize

chuchubob
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Mar 29th, 2006, 2:51pm »

on Mar 17th, 2006, 8:02am, silver_champion wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Can someone tell me if this was the first GG1 build? The GG1 in the back of the picture.

Yes.  4800 was known as "Old Rivets".  The rest were all welded.

W.G McAdoo
Former Member

« Reply #19 on: Jun 15th, 2006, 8:35pm »

......hard to believe that the G's are now gone for 23 years.....

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »