Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:06pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Could more GG-1's have been saved?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
   Could more GG-1's have been saved?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Could more GG-1's have been saved?  (Read 903 times)
GP72ACe

View Profile  

Re: Could more GG-1's have been saved?
  gg1-phv-2.jpg - 62954 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Oct 16th, 2005, 5:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Quote:
imagine a GG-1 in "Acela" paint
Well, there's this...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/gg1-phv-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 16th, 2005, 5:56pm by GP72ACe » Logged
Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #21 on: Oct 17th, 2005, 2:16am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Irish: I LIKE!!! It's obvious that a G would look good in ANY scheme!! (Too bad Amtrak didn't have any G's in reserve when the Acela fleet went down earlier in the year........ )

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #22 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 7:08pm »

Hmmmm, not bad.  Not bad at all!!

David_Telesha
Chaser

« Reply #23 on: Oct 18th, 2005, 7:29pm »

More?

MORE?

There are a bunch of GG1's around - I've seen at least 5-6. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

New Haven fans got the shaft - we have something to complain about when there are only 2 units left that wore NH paint, and only 1 will be restored to NH paint. Think about that about the electric pioneer railroad with masses of EP-1, EP-2, EP-3, EP-4, EP-5, EF-1, EF-2, EF-3, EF-4, EY-1, EY-2, EY-3, HW MUT's of all types and LW MUT's too.

David Telesha
NYNH&HRR
Harvey Springstead
Former Member

« Reply #24 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 3:20pm »

on Oct 18th, 2005, 7:29pm, David_Telesha wrote:       (Click here for original message)
More?

MORE?

There are a bunch of GG1's around - I've seen at least 5-6. Thats nothing to sneeze at.

New Haven fans got the shaft - we have something to complain about when there are only 2 units left that wore NH paint, and only 1 will be restored to NH paint. Think about that about the electric pioneer railroad with masses of EP-1, EP-2, EP-3, EP-4, EP-5, EF-1, EF-2, EF-3, EF-4, EY-1, EY-2, EY-3, HW MUT's of all types and LW MUT's too.

While I will always wish that more GG-1's had been saved, in no way can I disagree with your post. Just as you stated, NH fans really got the shaft when it came to preserving their historic electric locos. NH's electrics were among the most powerful and most colorful anywhere. Certainly, far more of these powerful machines could have been saved for presevation; they were simply too fine to destroy. I still find it hard to believe that not one of the NH's EP-5 "Jets" was saved.......those engines were sharpies and at least ONE could have been saved.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #25 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 4:08pm »

Hi All,

Looks like we are simply just arguing numbers. It appears that approximately ten percent of all the GG-1's ever built was saved. Considering that 139 of them were built, that is a large number. So.... the question remains, has any engine, electric, steam or diesel been saved in that percentage My guess would be NO, no other engine was saved in that percentage of its numbers that were built. A considerable compliment to the builders of that engine, wouldn't you say

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
u25b
Chaser

« Reply #26 on: Oct 20th, 2005, 10:11pm »

on Oct 20th, 2005, 4:08pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

Looks like we are simply just arguing numbers. It appears that approximately ten percent of all the GG-1's ever built was saved. Considering that 139 of them were built, that is a large number. So.... the question remains, has any engine, electric, steam or diesel been saved in that percentage My guess would be NO, no other engine was saved in that percentage of its numbers that were built. A considerable compliment to the builders of that engine, wouldn't you say

G'day Pennsy,
In Australia, the Commonwealth Railways operated an ugly single-ended cab type diesel loco called an NSU. This was a mainline loco and handled both freight and passenger work. There were 14 members of this class,all built in England and entered service in about 1952. ALL 14 have been preserved-some not as lovingly as others but the entire class is preserved. I reckon that would be the record-forgetting, of course, one offs or tiny classes.

Regards Wes

Wes Harris

Save what you can today,too much has already been lost forever!!
dansapo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #27 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 9:19pm »

Heres a link to all of the saved GG-1's.    http://www.hebners.net/amtrak/amtGG1.html

Dan Sapochetti
Richard_Glueck
Chaser

« Reply #28 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 5:29pm »

I would love to see the Washington Station wreck GG1 cosmetically restored and place in the station, at the end of the track where she came to glory!  It's a great contextual preservation of machine and time period.  

I saw the GG1 at the Age of Steam Museum in Dallas, and she's in excellent shape, except the cab interior requires scraping and repainting.  A number of other GG1's remain neglected, including the own of which I first wrote.  A GG1 could easily be displayed in Philly and Penn Station, in NYC, although the dampness of the tunnels might wreak havoc on her.  

Certainly, there are enough GG1's preserved to bestill any tears that railfans may wish to weep.  

Recently, a serious railfan approached me deadpan, that NJ Transit had pushed 6 intact GG1's into a locked building for preservation.  This is nonsense.  Those that are out there are all that remain in existance.  

What is amazing to me is the scrapping of the next to last B1 switcher and DD1 pair, which remained around until the 70's, at least!

The last pair of DD1's is a RMPA, where they are safe, but in desperate need of attention.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 6:07pm »

Hi All,  

Probably, but obviously no one came forward with the requirements to obtain one and preserve it. There were a few johnny come latelys but that was that. I guess we are fortunate that the ones that were saved are still around. Some in excellent condition, and some falling apart. What would you rather have a GG-1 falling apart, or none at all Naturally, the GG-1 is not the only engine type suffering that fate. I still remember seeing the L-1s Mikado in Pennsylvania at the museum with the right side cylinder rusted out. It was being stored outdoors, at that time.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
MR77100
Chaser

« Reply #30 on: Sep 17th, 2006, 11:48pm »

While I may sound spoiled, it is sad that only 16 of the 139 GG1's were saved. No other locomotive symbolized the Pennsylvania Railroad as well as the GG1. I vaguely remember the GG1's when I was little, but never got to see one in operation because I lived in Chicago. The first railroad video my father ever bought was PENNSYLVANIA RAILROAD GG1  from Railroad Video Productions, which was a head-end ride. Does anyone know when it was filmed?

silver_champion
Historian
  55-2.jpg - 183571 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 10:39am »

I wish that I could save these two GG1s.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (183571 bytes, 950x732 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 55-2.jpg - 183571 Bytes

gp80mac
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Sep 18th, 2006, 4:55pm »

I think there are enough GG1s saved*.  (And this is coming from someone that lives within the PRR electrified zone).

The G's were used, and used hard.  So it is not only a matter of the electricals, but from what I understand, their frames and wheels suffer from fractures, cracks, sprains, etc.   It would take a LOT of money to bring one back up to operation.  Then the question remains of where to run it.  Since it is being rebuilt, I guess you could stick in electrical gear compatible to whatever current/frequency/voltage is being used.  But the only electric territory is either Amtrak or a commuter agency - not exactly fan trip friendly, or scenic.  

Maybe if someone purchased the Port Road from NS, wires could be strung back up, substations built, etc...  You get the picture.  A diesel or steam can run on most track out there.  

* I use the term saved lightly.  The inside one at RRMPA, the one at Green Bay,  perhaps Dallas are saved.  Many of the others are rusting away a little slower than normal.  If something doesn't happen to some of those engines soon....I have a feeling a few of them may be lost to the scrapper's torch yet.  

As far as having one in Philly - for an urban setting, you NEED secured indoor storage.  Without that, the hoodlums and punks (excuse me - disadvantged youth) will just destroy it.    

~ gp80mac ~

All of my posts are my opinion ONLY, and do not reflect the opinion of any company, railroad, organization, or other person.
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #33 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 8:14pm »

on Jul 14th, 2006, 5:29pm, Richard_Glueck wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I would love to see the Washington Station wreck GG1 cosmetically restored and place in the station, at the end of the track where she came to glory!  It's a great contextual preservation of machine and time period.  

You'd only have to move that unit ( No. 4876) about 40 miles south. It is presently located at the B&O Museum in Baltimore, but--last I heard it was being stored outside and was rapidly deteriorating.

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Sep 24th, 2006, 8:54pm »

That's what I had heard. I think it is still in Conrail Colors, as much as ANY colors can be seen. It really does need to be taken inside and restored.

« Last Edit: Sep 24th, 2006, 8:55pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
alvintrain
Enthusiast

« Reply #35 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 3:24pm »

I think that at least two more GG1's could have been saved. GG1 4872 was scrapped in the early 1990's. It should have been saved but for some reason, NJT did not find a home for it. It was one of three GG1's that was painted in the Pennsy Silver Design which had a single red stripe and black lettering. Another was 4873 which lasted up until 1993. It was owned by the Whimpy Railroad museum and they decided to sell the locomotive for scrap.  on Oct 12th, 2005, 4:08pm, Harvey Springstead wrote:       (Click here for original message)
                                                        What is your opinion on this one? Do you think that more GG-1's could have been preserved? What are your thoughts about having had at least ONE GG-1 restored to fully-operational condition? In my own personal opinion, ONE should have been restored as such, to able to haul railfan excursions and/or to be used for historical purposes. Also, in the waning months of the GG-1, somehow, perhaps, efforts could have been made to preserve ALL of the remaining engines, if only for static display. The GG-1, without a doubt, was the most famous and most successful electric locomotive ever built. When one considers how many GG-1's once existed, and, the few that remain today, it truly hits home. I've seen enough images of these magnificent engines during their scrapping to know it was sheer destruction.........vandalism.......to chew up, cut up, and dissect these magnificent, voltage-hungry beasts from the mythology of American railroad history......... their near-total extinction was nothing short of criminal.

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »