Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:17pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Favorite Electric Engine
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
   Favorite Electric Engine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Favorite Electric Engine  (Read 4653 times)
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Favorite Electric Engine
  Virginian_EL-2B_126.jpg - 54129 Bytes
« Reply #40 on: Oct 18th, 2003, 5:43pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

You must mean the EL-2B.  These weighed 517 tons and were rated at 6800HP.  Starting T.E. was 260,000lbs. with a continuous T.E. of 162,000lbs. at 15.75 MPH.
photo by F. Watson
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/Virginian_EL-2B_126.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Nov 11th, 2003, 6:59pm »

You know I don't think I've even visited this thread before.  Must be a relapse into the anti-juice snobbery of my teen years.  I'm still kicking myself for never photographing a GG1.  

I'd like to go back in time and shake some sense into myself...
"Hey jackass!  Lose the plaid pants...lay off the peanut butter cups...and photo some GG1s and E44s!"

There are some great photos here.  

By the way, when did CR retire the last E44?  

-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
ErieLackawannaC425
TRAINing

« Reply #42 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 9:25am »

My favorite has to be the Milwaukee Road "Little Joes".  to answer the earlier question from Pennsy. There is only one freight only GG1, #4800 , which was the first GG1 built and it was built without a steam heat generator (Vapor unit).

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 10:36am »

Hi Erie,

Hard to believe that GG-1 # 4800 was built and delivered without a steam generator. Need to double check that one, especially if you add some additional facts. When #4800 first came out, before the rest of her class was commissioned to be built, she ran the NEC corridor, NYC to DC, all by her lonesome, establishing all sorts of passenger train records and cementing rather tight schedules, for that time. Once her superiority was established, the orders for the rest of the fleet came in quickly. Raymond Loewy did his magic on #4800, but old rivets maintained her rivets.  

By the way, Little Joes are also one of my favorite electric engines as well. Great looking Bulldog nose, reminiscent of an E-8, and later model New Haven electrics.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 1:26pm »

One other historical note--- during the testing/ competition phase ( with the R-1), the prototype GG1 carried the number 4899--- the R-1 had 4800. Once the decision was made to place the GG1 into production, rather than the R-1 ( a VERY close call) the two units swapped numbers. Eventually, as more GG1's were built, the R-1 was again renumbered, this time to 4999. The R-1 had a long and distinguished career on PRR, often being assigned to the westbound Broadway Limited. She was finally scrapped in 1956.

If it hadn't been for the beginning of the cold war, you would never have seen any of the Little Joe's in the US--- they were ordered for delivery to the Soviet Union ( "Joe" Stalin ?) but were held as relations between the USSR and US deteriorated.

« Last Edit: Dec 3rd, 2003, 1:29pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
BnO_Hendo
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #45 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 3:17pm »

Right you are Walt. Those Little Joes were never meant for USA operation.  

Those GG-1s. I guess because they'd been around for so long I figured they'd last forever. I have a couple that I photographed, but not as many as I should have. I remember standing on the platform in Penn Station when one of those behemoths would roll on in. The whole platform would shake.

Steam Locomotives have a tender behind!
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Dec 3rd, 2003, 4:12pm »

Hi B&O,

If you think that was something you should have experienced this: you are within 50 feet of the through mainline on the NEC and 15 cars led by a GG-1 comes flashing by at 70 mph. The sound is deafening, and all the air is sucked away by the train. You are caught is a partial vacuum. The ground doesn't rumble it shakes like a 4.0 magnitude earthquake. Now that is a thrill, a scary thrill.

ErieLackawannaC425
TRAINing

« Reply #47 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 9:50am »

Check out [/u]Pennsy Power[u] by Alvin F. Staufer for info on the steam gen-less #4800.-Dan

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 10:39am »

Hi Erie,

I take it the reference confirms that #4800 was delivered sans steam generator. That must have sat really well with the early passengers on the initial runs, especially in the dead of winter along the NEC.  There might have been a steam generator car spliced in between the engine and the cars. I assume there was a space provided for such a fixture so that the later models could have it installed. Per previous threads, the front of the engine is considered to be the end that contains the steam generator. That would make sense since it would allow the crew to keep warm from the heat of the steam generator, come winter time. That end is easily observable from the roof of the engine, since you can see the chimney for the generator.

GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #49 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 4:40pm »

CSX_B40-8 wrote:
id love to see one of those monsters pull a freight.id imagine an E60,regeared for freight,could pull a coal train bout 3 qaurters of a mile long by itself

No need to imagine—they've been doing it for years.  Below is a pic of a coal train on the Black Mesa & Lake Powell RR, a railroad that is not attached to the general railroad system.  The catenary system is 50kV AC; the locomotives are single-cab General Electric E60Cs.  (The BM&LP also operate dual-cab E60Cs that are formerly from Mexico's FNM—they have the "Amtrak" look to them…)

There's also Texas Utilities, who run the "Brick" look E60Cs themselves…

« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2003, 4:45pm by GP72ACe » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 6:22pm »

Hi All,

Well, let's see now. Four E-60's MU'd together, at 6000 hp apiece, that is 24,000 hp, continuous. Add to that 100% short term overload capability and you have 48,000 hp for several minutes, say 15 minutes. That is tremendous horsepower for only four engines. I guess you are right, those four engines could haul a train something like two miles long, fully loaded. That would include taking hills that would not require more than fifteen minutes to clear them at speed. Of course running 50 KVAC on the catenary is also very impressive. Hopefully, some of the Amtrak E-60's can find a home with some of these railroads and avoid the scrapper's torch. Very nice photos.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 6:35pm »

Chieftain -
Thanks for those pix.  Now THAT'S something you don't see everyday.
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #52 on: Dec 4th, 2003, 8:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Dec 4th, 2003, 6:22pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi All,

Well, let's see now. Four E-60's MU'd together, at 6000 hp apiece, that is 24,000 hp, continuous. Add to that 100% short term overload capability and you have 48,000 hp for several minutes, say 15 minutes. That is tremendous horsepower for only four engines. I guess you are right, those four engines could haul a train something like two miles long, fully loaded. That would include taking hills that would not require more than fifteen minutes to clear them at speed. Of course running 50 KVAC on the catenary is also very impressive. Hopefully, some of the Amtrak E-60's can find a home with some of these railroads and avoid the scrapper's torch. Very nice photos.

The Navajo Mine RR has I think 2 ex-Amtrak E-60's that they use in coal service.

GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: Dec 5th, 2003, 2:30pm »

Here goes one of them…

« Last Edit: Dec 5th, 2003, 2:30pm by GP72ACe » Logged
chessie8212
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Dec 9th, 2003, 10:55am »

I would have to say my favorite is the GG-1.

With that said, however, I am very partial to the E-44's!  Actually... I am rather partial to ALL E-units (both diesel and electric forms! )

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #55 on: Jan 15th, 2004, 9:39pm »

I can't fault any of the choices that have been made.

However, because of my background, (sorry no pics) my personal one
has been the NYC P motors that started in Cleveland and later used to go
into GCT. I had tha luxury of doing this into the tunnel to GCT and
all I can say is WOW!!!!

RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #56 on: Jan 17th, 2004, 10:03am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Dec 3rd, 2003, 1:26pm, Walt_C wrote:       (Click here for original message)
One other historical note--- during the testing/ competition phase ( with the R-1), the prototype GG1 carried the number 4899--- the R-1 had 4800. Once the decision was made to place the GG1 into production, rather than the R-1 ( a VERY close call) the two units swapped numbers. Eventually, as more GG1's were built, the R-1 was again renumbered, this time to 4999. The R-1 had a long and distinguished career on PRR, often being assigned to the westbound Broadway Limited. She was finally scrapped in 1956.

If it hadn't been for the beginning of the cold war, you would never have seen any of the Little Joe's in the US--- they were ordered for delivery to the Soviet Union ( "Joe" Stalin ?) but were held as relations between the USSR and US deteriorated.

I read they were called "Little" was because they were smaller than GN's similar, but larger electrics (Y-2's, I think), and "Joe" indeed came from Josef (correct spelling) Stalin.

RAMastronardi
TRAINing

« Reply #57 on: Jan 22nd, 2004, 4:38pm »

on Jan 15th, 2004, 9:39pm, arnstg wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I can't fault any of the choices that have been made.

However, because of my background, (sorry no pics) my personal one
has been the NYC P motors that started in Cleveland and later used to go
into GCT. I had tha luxury of doing this into the tunnel to GCT and
all I can say is WOW!!!!

Thanks for that post! I agree, all of the above choices were great, but how I miss those P-motors ...  And to think that none of them survived the torch, what a shame! Not unlike a previous post, I can remember standing at the platform in Harmon, all of 8 years old, as one of those monsters came in for the motive power change; bell clanging away... It was wise of my father to take me. Perhaps he knew that those days were numbered.  

How do we become railfans? Well, that's how...

Bulboy
TRAINing
  IMGP1195.jpg - 180113 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Feb 3rd, 2004, 6:13pm »

Hi all, this is mass electric engine in Bulgaria (since I'm bulgarian) and this is my favorite - made from Skoda and wears the 44 series number.
Just a minute ago i launched a site with rail pics as result of buing a digital photo  . if u want try to connect to:
http://free.bol.bg/yankius/ or [url]http://yankius.bol.bg/
i'll put updates soon

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (180113 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image IMGP1195.jpg - 180113 Bytes

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2004, 6:20pm by Bulboy » Logged
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #59 on: Feb 5th, 2004, 4:09pm »

on Jan 17th, 2004, 10:03am, RDG484 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

"Joe" indeed came from Josef (correct spelling) Stalin.

That's the reason for the quotation marks around "Joe". I remember that the "Joe" was a somewhat derogatory reference to Comrade Stalin ocassioned by the advent of the cold war

« Last Edit: Feb 5th, 2004, 4:12pm by Walt_C » Logged

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »