Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 11:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Favorite Electric Engine
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
   Favorite Electric Engine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Favorite Electric Engine  (Read 4654 times)
hudsonelectric
Historian
Re: Favorite Electric Engine
  DLW_MU_Hack_Curve.jpg - 47560 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Aug 26th, 2003, 8:46pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Here's another of my favorites  ....while not electric locomotives in the standard sense, heavy traction action is always of interest. I never got to ride them, only walk around and look at them at the Hoboken Terminal back in '70 while I was commuting.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/DLW_MU_Hack_Curve.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 26th, 2003, 8:48pm by hudsonelectric » Logged

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

MP-54PRR.jpg - 47648 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 10:27am »

Hi Russ,

I agree, and accordingly, here is a nice shot of the ubiquitous MP-54. Enjoy

Check out the Owl Eyes front windows.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/MP-54PRR.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 27th, 2003, 10:29am by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #22 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 10:42am »

Technically, those MU's are locomotives, as the provide the locomotion for the train. They are not only locomotives however.  

I wish I could have ridden those on NJT.  

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #23 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 12:39pm »

Yup, the FRA does say that individual powered MU units are "locomotives" and makes transit agencies pull them out of service every three months for inspection.

Nice shot of those MP54s; looks like Union Interlocking in Rahway NJ, southwest-bound.

Speaking of PRR again, I seem to recall an electric locomotive with a body cowl that resembled F-units--this was in a book on the PRR that I seem to have misplaced...anyone recall the type I am talking about?

NJ Railfan
Historian

« Reply #24 on: Aug 27th, 2003, 12:46pm »

on Aug 27th, 2003, 12:39pm, IrishChieftain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yup, the FRA does say that individual powered MU units are "locomotives" and makes transit agencies pull them out of service every three months for inspection.

Nice shot of those MP54s; looks like Union Interlocking in Rahway NJ, southwest-bound.

Speaking of PRR again, I seem to recall an electric locomotive with a body cowl that resembled F-units--this was in a book on the PRR that I seem to have misplaced...anyone recall the type I am talking about?

Could it have been an E-2B, E-3b, or E-3C like the ones on this page...
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/electric7.html

Check out My Railroad Photos!

http://www.railroad-photography.com/

*All photos posted on this site and my website are copyright protected, please do not use without my permission. Thanks.*
RDG484
Former Member
Re: Favorite Electric MU's

« Reply #25 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 12:41am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Well, we now have a photo of Reds and a photo of Greens.  Does anyone have a photo of Reading's RER "Blues?"

GP72ACe

View Profile  

« Reply #26 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 3:11pm »

E-2B seems to be the one I was thinking of.  Thanks...

NathBDP
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Aug 28th, 2003, 11:21pm »

What do you think I like?      A more utilitarian looking GG-1.  

EMD photo

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2003, 11:21pm by NathBDP » Logged

..all train compartments smell
vaguely of crap. It gets so you
don't mind it. That's the worst
thing that I can confess. You know
how long it took me to get there?
A long time.
Walt_C
Historian

« Reply #28 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 11:27am »

[quote author=IrishChieftain link=board=Juice;num=1061339655;start=0#7 date=08/21/03 at 13:10:46]Here's a clear enough web shot of GG-1 #902 in Amtrak Phase I "bloody nose", with PC black bringing up the rear.  Note the blast of steam from the steam-heat generator being emitted from the bottom front...

Also known as the "WC Fields" GG 1 because of the red nose!

Please move to the rear and speed your ride-Regards, Walt
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

Amtrak902GG-1902.jpg - 31630 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Aug 29th, 2003, 12:36pm »

Hi All,

This might be a better shot of the #902 GG-1. Enjoy.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/Amtrak902GG-1902.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 29th, 2003, 12:37pm by Pennsy » Logged

CSX B40-8
Historian
  amtk605ajt.jpg - 63657 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 3:18pm »

here's something with way more power than a GG-1 but not faster,due to stability problems at high speed .Still,my fav electric is the big ugly GE E60CP ,followed closely by the GE E44 and the EMD AEM-7....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/amtk605ajt.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

E-60951.jpg - 36381 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 4:29pm »

Hi,

You got that right. The GG-1 was rated  as a continuous 4620 hp, later upgraded to 5000 hp. with short term maximum of 10,000 hp. The E-60 is rated at 6000 hp continuous, with a maximum short term of 12,000 hp. The E-44 was rated at a continous 4000 hp with a short term maximum of 8,000 hp. Interestingly enough, the AEM-7 is rated at approximately 4000 hp continous and short term maximum of 7000 hp. The difference, of course is in the gearing. The AEM-7 being geared for the highest rate of speed, approximately 125 mph.  

As an aside, the boxy, but having their own quiet charm, E-60's are probably the best for freight hauling. The single ended E-60's are favored for such work with dedicated consist coal hauling trains out west. I would imagine as passenger E-60's are retired, they will be offered for use as freight haulers, with reduced gearing of course. Old passenger engines never die, they are relegated to hauling heavy freights, suitably regeared.  

Here is a photo of my favorite E-60, #951, the engineman is Lou Roger. A very nice comfort cab.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/E-60951.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 4th, 2003, 4:34pm by Pennsy » Logged

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #32 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 6:11pm »

id love to see one of those monsters pull a freight.id imagine an E60,regeared for freight,could pull a coal train bout 3 qaurters of a mile long by itself.2 of'em workin as a team would yank a loaded 1 and a half mile long train wit ease.the AEM-7 is fast not only cause its geared for speed but its also lighter than the E60. an E60 tips da scales at about 385,000 bls, while the AEM-7,shorter,tips over at about 150,000 to 250,000....somewhere in that range.i wouldnt mind seeing 3 AEM-7 geared,pullin a nice mile long mixed freight train at 50mph.the GG-1s look good pullin freights too....although they are just out dated! the E44 is simply beautiful.i wish electric lines were all over the US mainlines.they'd be at home pullin freights all day long.also one rare thing the E60 gots that no other locomotive has is a set of horns known as the Nathan PO1235.they sound almost like a pair of P5s,only brassier.the AEM-7 uses Airchime K5LAs and the E44 uses Leslie S-3Ls.the GG-1 uses Leslie S-25 "Honkers"

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: Sep 4th, 2003, 7:30pm »

Hi CSX,

To all that all one can say is "Amen".

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #34 on: Sep 5th, 2003, 10:44am »

Amen to that brotha......i love electrics!!Although Diesels still got a place in my heart,they'll never place Electrics.i think Amtrak should keep the E60 or CSX or Norfolk Southern should by them and use'in for high speed freight service thru the NEC. can u imagine a big E60 in CSX paint or wearin da black and white prance'in horse of Norfolk Southern!? that'll be grand!!!

Mark_Foster
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 6:50am »

I'm kinda surprised no one mentioned the "Little Joes" of the CSS&SB. These freight motors in their South Shore orange livery were real beauties. I don't have a photo of one of them but perhaps someone who does will post it to this site.

trainwatcher1100

View Profile  

« Reply #36 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 10:23am »

Mark -

Now that you mention it, I'm kinda surprised, too. The spectacular success and longevity of the GG-1 has crowded out this magnificent contender, but I've always been in awe of the Little Joe's sheer brute size and sleek design.

We visited the ex-South Shore beauty at North East two weeks ago. According to one of the volunteer museum directors, it had quite a time getting there. When it was handed off to Conrail en route, they refused to handle it, whereupon it sat idle in the yard for several months. Eventually, a local newspaper complained that this "god-awful-orange monstrosity" was an eyesore, and Conrail was embarrassed into delivering it.

Well, a lot of people thought the then-new Statue of Liberty was a "god-awful monstrosity," too...

Here's a link to a photo of an identical unit:
http://www.morscher.com/rr/1989/19890710_02.jpg

- Bob

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2003, 10:25am by trainwatcher1100 » Logged
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #37 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 11:42am »

Hi All,

If you are going to wander from the PRR and Amtrak. why not go to the New Haven and their famous and very attractive EP series of double ended electrics? Some of the later ones, with the "Bulldog" noses are really nice.

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

South_Shore_Railroad_802_P.jpg - 51403 Bytes
« Reply #38 on: Oct 12th, 2003, 6:10pm »

Here is a shot of #802 at the B&O RR Museum.  This was taken on Jan. 8, 1984.  I never got to see them in operation, but always liked the way they look.  
Don't forget, the B&O RR Museum still needs your help.  
CHESSIEMIKE

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/South_Shore_Railroad_802_P.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
Mark_Foster
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Oct 14th, 2003, 2:04am »

Thanks for the photos of the South Shore Little Joes. The 803 looks really great in her shining paint but the 802 looks mighty forlorn and neglected.

The Virginian also had some classy motors that I'm surprised no one has mentioned yet. I don't know their specs but wouldn't be surprised if they weren't the all time most powerful electrics considering they were designed to haul long coal trains over some pretty rugged gradients. I haven't seen a picture of these brutes in years but I remember their color scheme was tasteful but subdued. I could easily be wrong but seem to remember they were painted a dark green with maybe gold lettering. Someone correct me if those are not the right colors.  

Whatever their color, in my opinion the Virginian motors looked better than the black and white GG-1's  of the Penn Central. The GG-1's were strikingly beautiful in Pennsy paint schemes but the PC really screwed their looks up when they repaintd them. That's just my personal opinion and I apologize if I've offended any diehard GG-1 fans.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »