Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 5:16pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Favorite Electric Engine
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Locomotives and Rolling Stock
   Electric Locomotives
(Moderators: Henry, ctempleton3)
   Favorite Electric Engine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Favorite Electric Engine  (Read 4652 times)
Coffee
Historian
Re: Favorite Electric Engine
  piedmont_steamer.jpg - 92849 Bytes
« Reply #100 on: Jan 30th, 2005, 6:41am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

For you Bruce, I throw in this one as well. I figured you'd appreciate this more than anyone else. One from the Illinois live steamers group.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/piedmont_steamer.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Bob

Cleveland, Ohio

Ohio Central Yahoo Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ohiocentralsystem

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Feb 2nd, 2005, 8:50pm »

Bob, thats a really nice looking engine. A lot of detail on it. Thanks for thinking of me with this post.  
Hows life treating you, anyway?
I shure hope things are getting better.
         Your friend,
         Bruce

Lou_Edwards
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Feb 5th, 2005, 10:49pm »

The talk of the Pennsylvania GG-1's and the modern electrics always seem to overshadow 2 of the best work horse designs ever used, both of which ran for decades, and gave exceptional service.
Specifically, the NYC/PC/Amtrak Sp2's which ran for well over 50 years and didn't go out of service until after mid 1970's I think, I remember seeing the photo of the last two Sp2's on their retirement in Trains Magazine from the late 70's.  I am not sure but I think the Sp2's outlived the GG-1's.  I am also not sure if any of the "un-glamourous" boxy workhorses have been preserved.

The other units were the Milwaukee box cabs.  From 1916 until the last MILW electric run I think, the box cabs were there.  I actually got to sit in the drivers seat of #25 box cab and it was quite a thrill.  

These "un-pretty," day in/day out work horses set the standards for electric locomotives.  For in the end, the most successful electrics were the ones that gave the longest profitable service.

As the oil gets scarce, the electric looks better and better, and the Acela's and similar potent and fast units will gradually take over.  They'll have to.

arnstg
Railfan

« Reply #103 on: Feb 6th, 2005, 8:58pm »

The correct ID for the 2-C-C-2 used by NYC/PC/Amtrak is P-2a  and P-2b.

They were originally P-1a when used at Cleveland Union Terminal. Built between 11/29 and 3/30. Became P-2 between 2/51 and 12/55.  All were retired from 75-77.

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #104 on: Feb 7th, 2005, 11:27am »

Hi LOU_EDWARDS, interesting about the box cabs. Being a GGI fan, I think those war horses went out of service completely in 1983, working their last days on the New York and Long Branch along the New Jersey coast. Funny, they were just short of fifty years old and still keeping tight schedules. Wonderful machines they were.
If I have that date wrong, I would shure like to find out what the right time frame was.
         Take care,  
         Bruce

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #105 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 8:27am »

That Piedmont and Northern Boxcab looks like it has a normal pantograph, but also a trolley pantograph.   did they do that to make it more flexible in where it could operate?

chris

« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2005, 8:27am by green_elite_cab » Logged

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #106 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 11:12am »

Hi Chris,

Quite correct. Many road engines were dual mode. They could pick up juice from overhead, third rail, etc. In fact, they could deal with various voltages and often switch from DC to AC. This would allow them to enter almost all the sidings available to them.  

Classic example is the use of box cabs going north from NYcity. The train would enter the station, on third rail, while it was loading/ unloading passengers, the Pantograph would be raised and the train would proceed on. A good buddy of mine used to take this train routinely and always remarked how the high voltage etc. simply "livened" up the traction motors, and the engine would not labor any longer, but would simply lean into the load and walk away with it. Lots of power was available from that catenary.  

I believe there were also some road switchers that had battery capability, for short term use. The little engine could deposit its freight cars into a siding that had NO juice. Or in short, necessity is the mother of invention.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #107 on: Feb 13th, 2005, 8:25pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Feb 13th, 2005, 8:27am, green_elite_cab wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That Piedmont and Northern Boxcab looks like it has a normal pantograph, but also a trolley pantograph.   did they do that to make it more flexible in where it could operate?

chris

There were places where the wire was not compatible for pantographs (pole frogs, etc.), so trolley poles with wheels were used.  This would be mostly street trackage.

espeefoamer
Railfan

« Reply #108 on: Jun 29th, 2005, 5:51pm »

My favorite is the GG1 by far.I liked them even before I saw them in 1967,because of the pictures in Lionel catalogs and in books on railroads.My second favorite is the South Shore Little Joes.

Dorpmuller
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #109 on: Jul 2nd, 2005, 9:17pm »

on Dec 3rd, 2003, 4:12pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi B&O,

If you think that was something you should have experienced this: you are within 50 feet of the through mainline on the NEC and 15 cars led by a GG-1 comes flashing by at 70 mph. The sound is deafening, and all the air is sucked away by the train. You are caught is a partial vacuum. The ground doesn't rumble it shakes like a 4.0 magnitude earthquake. Now that is a thrill, a scary thrill.

Oh yeahhhhh! We used to go down to Princeton Jct. on Friday nights and watch streams of G's and E44's roar through at speed. Once I was standing too close to the platform and a G came thru on the close track probably doing 90. That was my experience with "rivets," almost getting sucked into 4800's train. Young and stupid. At ~1:00 AM the last operating RPO mail train would go thru with two G's and then we'd head home. This was the late 70's.

GG1 is the all time favorite but the EL MU's are my first love. Here: http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=110891 is one of my shots from the last summer of operation. I loved them dearly and rode quite a bit.

Rich

GNER
TRAINing

« Reply #110 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 4:03pm »

Hi everyone!
New member from England! I live in Sidney B.C but I am originally from England.
My favourite Trains are in England, my favourite High Speed Train is this one.

I like Ferries and Trains.
RDG484
Former Member

« Reply #111 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 5:58pm »

on Jul 18th, 2005, 4:03pm, GNER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi everyone!

Welcome aboard and enjoy.  Here's my favorite high-speed train; the granddaddy of today's Bullet trains:

http://206.103.49.193/pw/htm/pw022.htm

GNER
TRAINing

« Reply #112 on: Jul 18th, 2005, 9:38pm »

I also like these.

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Jul 20th, 2005, 4:18pm »

[quote author=GNER link=board=Juice;num=1061339655;start=100#112 date=07/18/05 at 21:38:22]I also like these.

quote]

That one looks like a Class 313. id take the Class 323 over a 313,319 and 465 anyday. the Class 87 reminds me of a British made AEM-7 while that Class 313 reminds me of RTA's Tokyu Car  "Airporters" ( Cleveland folks know da airporters! aka Da Red Line,Windermere Rapid).

GNER
TRAINing

« Reply #114 on: Aug 7th, 2005, 2:04pm »

You can tell by the first 3 numbers, 313029 means it is a class 313, and WAGN's no. 29.
I got a cab ride Video last year in July on the 22nd.

GNER
TRAINing

« Reply #115 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 1:28am »

I like all the trains of the East Coast Main Line, it is in England, and I used to call at Welwyn North Station on a 2 times a month basis, but I haven't been there in more than a year now.  
The class 323 is awesome, but the 365 is very similar and maybe even faster, top speed 100mph, then it goes on a 70 mile run from London Kings Cross to Norfolk's Kings Lynn, and also to Lincolnshire's Peterborough.

CSX B40-8
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 1:53am »

on Jul 18th, 2005, 4:03pm, GNER wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hi everyone!

that their's a Class 91. i heard that bad boy can top 140mph but the signal'in only allows speeds up to 125mph. i play BVE alot and most of the trains and routes i have are British. The Class 323 is my fav because of the way it looks and sounds. not to mention the nice wheel thump it has at speed (i love the notched wheel sounds). one question....why does all of Britain's train horns have the weird 2 note honk....that brump bra sound?

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

B-1-5687.jpg - 42823 Bytes
« Reply #117 on: Aug 31st, 2005, 12:55pm »

Hi All,

Probably my second favorite electric engine is the PRR B-1. This is an all electric switcher/ shifter, 0-C-0 wheel arrangement. It was used extensively in the Sunnyside yard of Queens, NYC, and I had the pleasure of going on board her more than once, in those days. It was also a sad occasion when I went aboard a B-1, sitting on a siding in the Sunnyside Yards, all the windows smashed, and in gross disrepair, awaiting to be scrapped. That was my last contact with a B-1 engine.

Here is one of my favorite B-1's, # 5687, Enjoy

Note; The Porch is only on one end. When MU'd, the porches were always on the outside. If the Porch is the A end, they would be coupled B to B. Either end of the MU'd lash up would have the porch forward.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Juice/B-1-5687.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 31st, 2005, 1:01pm by Pennsy » Logged

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 4:01pm »

As for a second favorite electric after the GG1, it would have to be the Milwaukee's  
bi-polars. They just had that look of power, and the Milwaukee Road paint scheme really dressed them up. I never saw one first hand, only photos, but they looked awesome to me.

Take care,

Bruce

RARITAN_CLOCKER
Former Member

« Reply #119 on: Sep 1st, 2005, 4:07pm »

.....as for me, there is only ONE choice for my FAVORITE electric locomotive: the late, great, GG-1 !! 'nuff said!! (Thank you, Mr. Lowey!!)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »