Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 27th, 2017, 3:02pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Railway bridge girder location
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Railway bridge girder location  (Read 91 times)
larry_peters
TRAINing

« on: Mar 14th, 2014, 10:37am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

First timer....
I work for a steel fabricator in NC.  I have a name plate from old brdige in Canton NC which reads 'Built by Carolina Steel & Iron Co. Greensboro, NC.  1931'
I am trying to tie down exactly where the girder that the plate came off of was originally shipped to.  I am pretty sure it was sold to Southern Railway and apparently in 1931.  

I got the plate off a bridge at Canton NC when it was replaced in 2010.  The girders had been re-used on that bridge which was constructed in the 1950s - 1960s. I think High Street. This would have been the third structure they were used on.

They were used prior to that on a bridge constructed in 1944 for the Champion Paper Mills.(Bridge Street or Main Street).  This would have been the second structure they were used on.  The pictures I have show the girder was definitely used before being erected at the Champion structure.  I understand the girders were used to replace an old truss bridge at Canton which had been built in 1894.

I am trying to determine where in the system the girders were originally used.  I am sure the railroad must have removed them from the original location and stored them prior to their use in Canton.  The only tie down date I would have is 1931 according to the name plate.  

I have worked for Carolina Steel (now Hirschfeld Industries Bridge) for 53 years.  Most of that time was in the highway sales division. They were founded in 1919 and this is the earliest I have come across something to tie down their fabrication of girders for bridges.

I am looking for any help possible.  Location,  or contact to investigate this further.  I would like information on original location of structure used on, project costs, contractor name if contracted out from Southern, actual construction time, anything would be appreciated.

Thanks to all.
Larry Peters

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Railway bridge girder location

« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2014, 1:26am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Larry, you are not being ignored.  We don't do that here.  I guess no one has any information for you.  I don't.  Sorry about that.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »