Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 6:28am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Starrucca and Tunkhannock
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Starrucca and Tunkhannock  (Read 132 times)
rt66pix
TRAINing

« on: Jul 16th, 2013, 3:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I'm new here and plan to photograph at both of these Pennsylvania viaducts in September.  Can anyone provide approximate train schedules and train directions...or a source for this info?  Thanks.

firstbelt
Historian
Re: Starrucca and Tunkhannock

« Reply #1 on: Jul 16th, 2013, 6:00pm »

There are sections of the forums at Railfan.net for CP Rail, Norfolk Southern, and NYS&W, where railfans might see and answer your question - or you might find an existing post already.  (I didn't see any.)

Information I've found over the last year or two is that traffic over Starucca Viaduct is down to maybe 1 train each way per day from NYS&W.  That may be only 5 or 6 days a week, at that.  Trains over Starucca, I hear, travel at night.

I've visited the ex-D&H Conklin Yard at Binghamton, and rarely noticed traffic to/from Scranton over Tunkhannock Viaduct.  The southern end of Conklin has a grade crossing where you might hang out and observe.  Note "no trespassing" signs.  If a southbound is getting ready to depart, I think US Rt.11 parallels the ex-DL&W trackage toward Scranton.

Everyone seems to want schedules.  Most trains run as traffic allows.  I managed to find a list of CP Rail and Norfolk Southern freight symbols a few years ago, don't recall where.  Things have probably changed, but maybe this will help.  These CP freights would probably run over Tunkhannock; web page noted they include NS freight connections.

CP 510 daily, Binghamton-Scranton; CP 511 is northbound counterpart
CP 512 M-W-F, Binghamton-Sunbury; CP 513 is northbound counterpart

firstbelt
Historian
Re: Starrucca and Tunkhannock
  7418a_CR_03-22-1983.jpg - 120433 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2013, 9:10pm »

A view from the top - of Starucca, looking west.
Photographs from just below clips off 20-25% of trains across the viaduct.  It's a pretty steep climb to the top of the bridge.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Infrastructure/7418a_CR_03-22-1983.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 16th, 2013, 9:13pm by firstbelt » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »