Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 25th, 2017, 6:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Am I Seeing a Four Way Switch?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Am I Seeing a Four Way Switch?  (Read 336 times)
130_MM
Enthusiast

« on: Sep 2nd, 2011, 9:15am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

In the following link there is picture of not so great quality of a switch that looks like a four way, stub switch. Am I dreaming? How common were these?

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=91&t=85753&p=967309#p967309

Mr. Harris, when I saw this picture you immediately came to mind as the one who could answer my questions.

DAW

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Am I Seeing a Four Way Switch?

« Reply #1 on: Nov 29th, 2011, 3:54pm »

You are not forgotten.  I have puzzled over this a few times, but havve not yet gotten to an answer I am happy with.  There are some things that make me think that there may be two track gauges involved.  When I get a longer period of time, I am going to try to sketch out a pln view that justifies all the pieces of rail in the picture.  It also looks like at least one frog is missing.  The more I look at this, the less I understand.

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 1st, 2011, 9:44pm »

If you go to the link and then go down the comments you discover the following:

by chnhrr » Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:20 am  

I emailed the picture to NHRHTA with a question concerting its location and the structures pictured. Charlie Dunn of the organization provided me with the following information. He is familiar with this picture and its history. I very much thank him for his input.  

Date: Late 1860s
-
Location: Naugatuck Junction (Devon today) in Milford, CT, looking east. The line branching off to the left is the Naugatuck RR line.  
-
Structure in background: The tall tower is the signal tower for the covered wooden bridge over the Housatonic River between Milford and Stratford. Its purpose was to indicate whether the draw was open or closed. The NY&NH main line was double tracked by this date, but the bridge (located behind the photographer) was single tracked.  
-
Structure in foreground: The round structure is the Switch Station of that time period. The adjacent switch is a stub end switch and could be set to direct traffic to any one of the 4 tracks

Overmod
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: May 23rd, 2015, 11:29pm »

Plot thickens.  According to Wikipedia the single-track covered bridge was built in 1832 and was replaced by a two-track iron bridge in 1858.  This in turn was replaced by the current four-track bridge with rolling Scherzer (sp?) section in 1905.  We all know how far Wiki can be trusted, but it is at least a start in researching the Devon/Housatonic bridge.

I can't imagine this is anything but a 'swing' bridge, with the two spans counterbalancing each other either side of a central 'gallows' frame with cross-bracing.  Not sure that that thing at the top of the frame is, so you might have vertical counterweights pulling the two half spans up toward the center... the channel with the posts defining it is still visible in modern (e.g. with the adjacent highway bridge present) aerial views..  

If you have stub switches it makes sense to have the "points" lined up in a row and directed by a single throw... might be an interesting arrangement to move them and positively locate and lock the route at each step.  I'd like to see drawings or a description of the arrangement that was used.

Every time I look at this picture I see someone else in it, not quite clearly captured by the slow emulsion of the time.  There is someone standing in the open doorway of the round structure, and somebody else between the right side of the round structure and the 'switchstand' thing (he might be sitting, with his hands in front of him).  Note the train at far right.

« Last Edit: May 23rd, 2015, 11:45pm by Overmod » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »