Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 2:50am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Cammell's Toughened Steel
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Cammell's Toughened Steel  (Read 271 times)
130_MM
Enthusiast

« on: Oct 26th, 2010, 12:17pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A couple of weekends ago I volunteered at the Wiscasset, Waterville, and Farmington 2 ft. gage railroad. They had a flat car load of rail; supposedly purchased from Kovalchik (sp?), the man who owns the East Broad Top; which had a brand of "Cammell's Toughened Steel" dated 1890. I did a Google search, and found that Cammell was an Englishman who was a biggie in the English steel industry at that time. I believe the rail came from the mill later named Workington. The B&M, for one, bought a lot of this steel in the '80's - the 1980's that is..  

However, I could find no reference to "toughened" steel. Does any one know what the term "toughened" means? Mr. Harris, I'm counting on you.

Also, for rail rolled in 1890 it was in suprisingly good condition. It did have a little lip on one side, but looked almost like mill scale was visible. Another mystery.

DAW

ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Cammell's Toughened Steel

« Reply #1 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 7:35pm »

I always associate "Cammell" with Cammell Laird, the shipbuilders of Birkenhead. Which was formed by an amalgamation of Johnson Cammell (steelmakers of Sheffield) and Laird & Son (shipbuilders of Birkenhead) in 1903.

As to "Toughened steel", haven't found out anything. Wonder if it was anything like Whtworth's  (of the gun - among other things - maker Armstrong Whitworth) "Compressed steel"?

Addendum: After poking around a bit, I discovered some analyses of rail steel that SUGGESTS that the stuff was a manganese steel alloy. Since manganese is frequently used to increase toughness in steel, that may be it.

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2010, 8:04pm by ClydeDET » Logged
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 10:01pm »

I found a few things on the subject.  Othere than being a little more than a centrury off, this is a subject I have been somewhat involved in.  I will look some mre, as it does excite my curiosity.

Source of the following is the web site of the Central Pacific Railroad Photographic History Museum, cprr.org.  The specific page was http://cprr.org/Museum/Caliron/  

It appears tha there were sseveral changes of names and location, not all of which I follow so far.  Among the items on the web site, a page dated 1868 which gives:

CHARLES CAMMELL & CO,
BESSEMER STEEL RAILS
Made at teh "Cyclops" Works, Sheffield, Eng.

In 1881, there was also:

WILSON, CAMMELL & Co. Limited  
Manufacturers of STEEL RAILS, Steel forgings & c.  
DRONFIELD , Near Sheffield  

Quote:
Charles Cammell and Co. purchased the Derwent Iron Works at Workington in August, 1882, and in November, 1882, bought out the partners of Wilson, Cammell and Co.  In 1883 the Dronfield Works were closed, and production was made at the Derwent Works site, in Workington, County of Cumberland. The first rails were rolled at the Derwent Works on October 9, 1883. The Derwent Works had a capacity of 500 tons per week, this under Cammell was raised to 3,000 tons per week.

Apparently the Central Pacific bought quite a lot of rail from this mill, as the site shows pictures of several pieces of rail with its mill marks.

One of them is marked:  "Cammell Sheffield Toughened Steel 61 1/2 lbs PIC 1887 P"

While this tells us nothing more about "toughened steel' as a metal, it does tell us that teh CP was geting rail from England and was installing rails of around 60 lb/yd.  Since this was a few years before the advent of anything lke standardization of rail shapes, the shape was probably either that  designed and specified by the CP or a shape that the mill itself had designed.  

more later, when I find it.

130_MM
Enthusiast

« Reply #3 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 8:55am »

I, too, spent some time on the Central Pacific web page. Facinating stuff.  

I also noted that some of the early rails apparently had the name of the buyer rolled into the brand.

DAW

kapuskasing
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Aug 13th, 2012, 7:39pm »

In the rail yard at  Cochrane Ontario Canada on the Ontario Northland Railroad, is Cammell's Steel Rail , with a manufacture date of 1903 for the T&NO (Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railroad ... the old name for the ONR

Pictures available .....

the rail appears to be Cammell S Steel....

Lloyd

padwrr
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

DSC_8030b.jpg - 171384 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Aug 17th, 2012, 9:51pm »

Found a Cammell Sheffield rail today at Whitefish Lake on the PAD&W Railway. It is dated 1887. I've never seen this rail before, as all the other rails I've seen are dated 1890 from 3 different manufacturers (Illinois Steel, West Cumberland and M.B.H.I & S). It was near a spur that might have been removed around 1900.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Infrastructure/DSC_8030b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »