Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 2:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Team tracks?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
   Team tracks?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Team tracks?  (Read 301 times)
electro soundwave
Historian
Team tracks?

« on: Oct 30th, 2007, 3:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I see this mentioned in old Timetables. I doubt that this was where the railroads baseball team practiced, so could anybody please tell me what they really used them for? Hockey maybe?

SCL/L&N Family Lines
The Southern Serves The South
Railfan Entertainments
Historian
Re: Team tracks?

« Reply #1 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 3:21pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 3:02pm, electro soundwave wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I see this mentioned in old Timetables. I doubt that this was where the railroads baseball team practiced, so could anybody please tell me what they really used them for? Hockey maybe?

I think team tracks are when two sperate lines run together.  
 Just my $0.02 though.
KB3PQD signing out

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #2 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 3:29pm »

Team tracks are sidings for loading and unloading cars which are intended for use by shippers and consignees who do not have their own railroad sidings. A loaded boxcar (or whatever) would be dropped on the team track, and the consignee would drive up in a wagon (pulled by a team, hence the name), unload the goods, and cart them back to his business.

The almost universal switch to trucks for general merchandise business has largely made team tracks obsolete, although you can usually still find a few in major cities.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 7:13pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 3:29pm, ehbowen wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Team tracks are sidings for loading and unloading cars which are intended for use by shippers and consignees who do not have their own railroad sidings. A loaded boxcar (or whatever) would be dropped on the team track, and the consignee would drive up in a wagon (pulled by a team, hence the name), unload the goods, and cart them back to his business.

The almost universal switch to trucks for general merchandise business has largely made team tracks obsolete, although you can usually still find a few in major cities.

Eric has it exactly right.  It used to be that at most towns along the line the railroad would have a track a few cars long with a graveled area close to it so that a wagon could be backed up to a boxcar door, or along side an open car and the materials transferred from one to the other.  These tracks would be railroad owned and were effectively as public for freight as the passenger platform would be for people.  Many of these tracks lasted into the 60's at least, although usually from the mid 1920's on it was probably a truck pulling up to the car instead of a wagon and team of horses or mules.  I saw this sort of stuff in action quite a few times as a kid.  

One example from the 1950's:  Maywood swimming pool used to get a carload of Florida beach sand once a year which would be placed in the Frisco's team track at Olive Branch, Mississippi.  The sand would be unloaded into trucks by men with shovels.  That took a while.  I am sure today the EPA would be all over that one.  

The reason I emphasise railroad owned for the team tracks is because most tracks into an industry that were there for the purpose of serving only that industry were owned by the industry beyond the clearance point off the turnout, so they could not be used by anybody other than the industry unless the other party wanted to pay rent to the industry.  

Railroad owned tracks could also be rented to an industry, sometimes the whole thing, sometime only a few car spaces which might or might not be located at a specific place on the track.  Once this sort of agreement was made, then no one else could use it, not even the railroad itself for any purpose other than serving the renter of the track.  

George

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007, 7:21pm by George_Harris » Logged
Marty_Feldner
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:17pm »

Locally (for me) the L&HR had an operating team track in its Warwick yard up to the time of the Conjob takeover in 1976- used mostly by local produce farmers.

At Greycourt (the L&HR's former interchange with the former Erie), there is still an active team track, now served by NS; the primary customer is a local farm support company.

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 12:37am »

Hi George,

Got that one right. Often the roadway next to the Team Track is nothing more than a dirt road. In San Dimas, CA, right next to the old Santa Fe RR station, there is a team track with a dirt road right next to it. The siding can hold as many as eight cars, and one usually sees tank cars there. From time to time an eighteen wheeler, a tanker pulls up and connects hoses to one of the tank cars and fills up. I learned from one of the drivers that the oil in the tank car was being used as one of the bases to produce paints. Yup, the oils went to a factory that produced paints. Other companies and other trucks would do the same for the cars they were to empty. I learned, by the way, that the oil truck tanker would take about three to four trips to empty out one tank car. I would imagine that if there were a rush order or whatever, more than one 18 wheeler would be dispatched to empty out a tank car.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
ehbowen
Railfan

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2016, 9:15am »

Wikipedia now has an article on Team Tracks which looks to have some decent external references.

--------Eric H. Bowen

Now 200 classic timetables online, transcribed into machine-readable and searchable format:

Check it out here: Streamliner Schedules!

Historic timetables of the great trains of the past!
ClydeDET
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Dec 1st, 2016, 3:51pm »

Had a team track here in Nacogdoches that had a nice brick street south of Main Street (and across Main from the SP/HE&WT Station) for the folks loading/unloading. Freight station was also on that side of Main and had the advantage of the brick street/parking/loading area.  

That brick street remains, though Main is covered over in asphalt until you get a couple of blocks east, where brick is uncovered, as a nostalgia/tourist item in the downtown area. Stuff is slippery in rain or after we have the rare snow or ice storm.

toddsyr

View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 18th, 2016, 6:01pm »

CSX's Dewitt Yard in East Syracuse NY has a team track still. I've seen tank cars and covered hoppers loading into trucks there. It's on the North side of the yard at the West end near the MOW storage area.

Todd K Stearns

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »