Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 2:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Kate Shelly Bridge Replacement (UP ex C&NW - Boone IA)
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Kate Shelly Bridge Replacement (UP ex C&NW - Boone IA)  (Read 331 times)
George_Harris
Historian

« on: Sep 10th, 2007, 7:39pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Had not heard anything about this.  Maybe UP and all involved tried to keep it quiet to avoid the NIMBY's until all permits were received and construction started.  

The current bridge has a 25 mph speed limit and one track, although the structure was originally designed for two tracks, it cannot carry two trains of current loading, so it was single tracked quite a few years ago. I had seen this about one track, but it is obviously bad information, see picture in following post showing two trains on the existing bridge.   Current bridge built in about 1902.  Somewhat curious that this bridge is so weak.  A lot of bridges of that vintage seem to still  be going strong.  

Three sources:  a newspaper on the web, UP's web site and HDR's web site.  

From UP:
Quote:
Union Pacific Building $43 Million High Bridge in Boone, Iowa

Omaha, Neb., September 07, 2007 – Today, Union Pacific announced that construction is underway on the $43 million double-track high bridge. When the 2,550-foot long and 190-foot high structure is completed, it will be one of the highest double-track railroad bridges in North America. The new bridge will improve operational efficiency in anticipation of expected growth in our customers’ businesses and increased freight volumes.
. . . .
Construction on the bridge began in March and is scheduled to be completed by November 2008.

Also in the UP article:  Design and permits by HDR Engineering of Omaha, construction by OCCI, Inc of Fulton MO.

From HDR’s web site, see www.hdrinc.com/Assets/documents/Publications/RailLine/june2007/RailLineJune07.pdf  page 8 and 9:

“The double-track structure being built now features a maximum design speed of 70 mph with softened approach curves to keep traffic flowing smoothly and safely.  At 2,550’-6” in length and 180 feet in height, the new bridge will measure slightly smaller than Kate Shelley Bridge’s 2,685 feet length and 185 feet height.”

The existing bridge has 17 towers supporting deck plate girder approach spans and a 300 foot long deck truss main span over the river.

The new bridge will consist of concrete column bents supporting steel deck plate girders.  There will be five braced towers. (steel or concrete, article did not say.)  There will be Twenty 110 foot spans and five 70 foot spans at the towers.  

“Since the Des Moines River is no longer used as a shipping channel there was no need to design the bridge with a traditional main span.  Some of the spans will be constructed using material from an abandoned bridge in the area.  The new structure is scheduled to open December 2008.”

The existing bridge will be left in place but the tracks will be removed.  

Note difference in opening date between HDR information and UPRR information.  

Bridge is being built parallel to the existing, but none of the information found says which side, but looking at the picture in the HDR site and the map on topozone, I am guessing that it is on the north side of the existing bridge.

One newspaper said this would be the highest and longest double track bridge in use in the US.  That is not true.  Huey P. Long bridge at New Orleans is much longer and for many years was the longest railroad bridge in the world.  Since HPL is 135 feet clear of the river and the channel will accept ocean going ships, it bridge is probably higher than Kate Shelley as well.  (The longest bridge now is the Taiwan High Speed Railway viaduct that is nearly 100 miles long.)

On the UP former SP there is a bridge over an arm of Shasta Lake is about 400 feet high.  It contains a main plus a siding, so even though carrying two tracks maybe it could be argued that it is not double track.  It also has a highway upper deck.  It does not look that high because much of the pier height is hidden by Shata Lake.

Am putting this same info into UPRR.

George

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007, 12:52pm by George_Harris » Logged
joneau261
Historian
Re: Kate Shelly Bridge Replacement (UP ex C&NW - Boone IA)
  P1000275_828x621.jpg - 57854 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 9:39pm »

What a spectacular bridge it is. Hard to believe that one of the highest and longest double track bridge in the world is in Iowa.

Here's the bridge as of August 18. You can see the new bridge being built next to it

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Infrastructure/P1000275_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007, 3:01pm by joneau261 » Logged

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
Incidentally, how about donating to Railfan.net?"
joneau261
Historian
  P1000272_828x621.jpg - 60754 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10th, 2007, 9:43pm »

A better look at construction

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/Infrastructure/P1000272_828x621.jpg
Click Image to Resize

"Railfans are clingy, complaining dumbsnots who will never ever be grateful for any concession you provide. The moment you shut out their shrill tremulous complaints, the happier you'll be for it.
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 1:03pm »

Obviously I had bad information about the bridge being single tracked since we see two trains in the picture.  These are both heavyweights, as well, since one is a doublestack and the other is a loaded coal train.  I have corrected my first post on that matter.  

However, regardless of the Iowa newspapers statements, this is neither the longest nor the highest railroad bridge in the country.  The Huey P. Long bridge at New Orleans - opened in 1935 - is much longer, and probably higher as well.  The bridge over Shasta Lake in northern California is much higher - about 400 feet to ground.  

According to the ETT sheets from 2003, the only specific restriction there is the mention of dragging equipment detectors and the low speed limit.  No reduced load limit  Here is the relevant ETT info:  

Zero milepost for this subdivision is at Clinton, Iowa  
202.2  Boone  
202.9  West Boone  
207.6  High Bridge  
214.5  Ogden (in Business Track list)  
216.7  West Ogden  

"Two main tracks between:  MP 202.2 and CP B326"  
"Milepost Equations:  MP 211.0 = MP 214.0"  

Maximum speeds:  70 mph over the subdivision.  
Limits of 45 and 50 mph through Boone  
Relevant reductions in the vicinity of High Bridge:  
205.7 - 207.4:  50mph  
207.4 - 207.9:  25mph  
207.9 - 208.3:  50mph  
then no reduction until a 50 mph at mp 257.6 - 258.4

joneau261
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 1:41pm »

It is the highest and longest double track bridge, from what I've heard.

According to TRAINS, it used to be restricted to only one train at a time. It's been reinforced to allow two at a time, but the 25 mph restriction still stands.

The Huey P. Long bridge: 790 feet long, 135 feet high

I believe it's the highest and longest railroad bridge in the world. It's not the highest, or longest, but the most in terms of both.

Really, I'm glad that the bridge will be preserved, even if not for trains. Maybe the Bonne and Scenic Valley should go for it

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 2:39pm »

What you have quoted for the Huey P. Long bridge is the length of the main channel span only and its height above high water elevation.  Here is a little more from
www.visi.com/~jweeks/lower_mississippi/pages/lmiss16.html

• Structure ID: NBI: 022600060100001.  
• River Elevation: 0 Feet (Sea Level).  
• Highway: US-90.  
• Railroad: New Orleans Public Belt Railroad.  
• Daily Traffic Count: 50,500 (2003).  
• Daily Traffic Count: Trains Per Day (Estimated).  
• Bridge Type: Steel Truss Through Deck.  
• Length: Rail Structure Is 22,996 Feet Long,
Highway Structure Is 8,076 Feet Long,  
Longest Span Is 790 Feet Long.  
• Width: 4 Traffic Lanes, 2 On Each Side Of The 2 Railroad Tracks.  
• Navigation Channel Width: There Are 3 Channels, The Widest Is 750 Feet.  
• Height Above Water: 153 Feet.
• Date Built: Opened December 1935.  

Kate may be higher, but I doubt it given the normal depth of the river channel at this point, but this bridge is far longer.  The extreme length is because the track level is at about 5 feet above sea level or lower, so the bridge includes a lengthy 1.25% grade up to the main channel spans.  

I would be willing to concede height to Kate, but definitely not length.  That belongs to Huey.  
(22,996 feet = 4.355 miles)

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2007, 6:48pm by George_Harris » Logged
joneau261
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 3:04pm »

I just checked again and found it was once the highest and longest double track bridges in the world. My mistake

As the pictures show, work has started, but I'm not sure if it will be done by October 2008 (from what I've heard)

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 6:57pm »

Thanks for the PM information.  New bridge on north side of existing bridge.  Yes, the Kate Shelley probably was when built the longest highest double track.  There are some others I would wonder about.  There is a RR bridge across the Niagra Gorge between Niagra Falls NY and Niagra Falls, Ontario, currently used by Amtrak, also.  How long and high is it and when was the first one built, and how many tracks?  I think the one there now is at least the second, and maybe the third.  Maybe they needed one more modifier for Kate, like, "west fo the Mississippi River?"

George

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 2:48pm »

Trying to find how things are going on this bridge.  A few sources say the replacement structure will be completed in November 2008.  Seems that pictures and much other information, including the revised alignment are scarse.  Did find an article put out by a concrete formwork company.  When info is scarce, you take what you can get.

www.missourifabricators.com/efcoarticle.pdf

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Dec 24th, 2015, 7:17pm »

A few years later now:  Some good views of the bridge can be found on google maps.

Here is a link to a picture of the replacement bridge under construction.  Views of the completed structure are also to be found on the same page.  And, yes the older structure is still in place.  The new bridge is to the north of the old one.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Kate+Shelley+High+Bridge/@42.05882,-93.969916,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1shttps:%2F%2Fs-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com%2Foriginals%2F3b%2F4d%2F0c%2F3b4d0ca40386e4f10fa31f884e7cf5cf.jpg!2e7!3e27!6s%2F%2Flh4.googleusercontent.com%2Fproxy%2FknoVQO93O7kS8rRbzeEDjURO4sQDRcI12ep-olDfBTI2vgP-pfybU2Lq9YGZTsI9S-iOstdNI0q71QbKTWX89jAZ3KLlYZSbLNRR-db7eeL60Kv2bRlk7p--q0A7mRDiUbFUyLelcq1bAONeVjHTl4-tpJJSo5A%3Dw203-h136!7i1800!8i1215!4m2!3m1!1s0x0000000000000000:0x0f529171aa36662e!6m1!1e1

Looks like the bridge girders came from a bridge with the tower frames like the old one has.  Difference is the towers for the new bridge are new concrete towers not reused old steel ones.  Can see in the map views that the bridge (and new approach tracks) appears to be built with wide track centers.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »