Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 29th, 2017, 11:43pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Moderator Notes
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Physical Plant - Track, Structures and Signals
   Railroad Infrastructure
(Moderator: George_Harris)
   Moderator Notes
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Moderator Notes  (Read 492 times)
chessie8212
Historian
Moderator Notes

« on: Dec 16th, 2004, 12:56pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm moving out of my dorm for the holiday break and in the shuffle, moving, and holiday events, I won't be on the board much over the next two weeks.  So you all better behave yourselves... after all, Santa's watching!

So everyone have a very happy holiday season and I'll be back on regularly again in two weeks!

“The human brain is like a railroad freight car -- guaranteed to have a certain capacity but often running empty.”

Take only photos...
Leave only footprints.
RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Moderator Notes

« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:44pm »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 12:56pm, chessie8212 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
after all, Santa's watching!

Yeah, I'm watching you...

-Jeff

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 12:54pm »

Ho! Ho! Ho!  

Well some of the time I will be watching, anyway.  I am part way to the gut requirement, but without the beard.  

George

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Apr 28th, 2008, 11:52pm »

"Facts" that ain't

There have been several times that I have run into information in sources that should have been reliable that was not correct or anywhere close to it.  Today I hit a classic while looking for something else:  

The source:  The American Society of Civil Engineers' web site History and Heritage of Civil Engineering, live.asce.org/hh/index.mxml?lid=116.

The article was titled Morrison's Memphis Bridge.  For those not familiar, this was the first bridge across the Lower River and opened in 1892.  This is my home city and the structure that I did a paper on in college, using in part reports written at the time of construction.  It is the center bridge of three parallel structures.

The final paragraph is completely fact-free.  It states:
Quote:
When automobiles became common in the 1930's, two cantilevered roadways were added to the bridge, one on each side of the railway.  They remained in use until a new highway bridge was built in the early 1950's

NO, NO, and NO.
When this bridge was built, it was planked level with the top of rails and used by wagons between trains.  There is 23 feet between the handrails with the track in the middle.  The reason this bridge has never had close side clearance problems.  It NEVER had cantilevered roadways.  The cantilevered roadways were part of the Harahan Bridge which is the bridge on the north side of this bridge.  They were part of its initial construction when opened in 1916.  They were always referred to as "wagonways" by my father and grandmother.  And, finally the highway bridge, which is the parallel 4-lane highway bridge to the south opened in 1949.  

Three significant errors in a two sentence paragraph.  Also, in my entire life, I had never heard the bridge referred to as the Morrison Bridge.  It was always referred to as the Frisco Bridge, and its initial offical name was the Memphis Bridge.  I did not even know the name George Morrison until I researched the bridge as a college student.  

They are correct about the Open Hearth Steel.  It was the first major all-steel bridge.  At that time common practice was to use wrought iron for compression members and steel only for tension members or those that could have reversal of direction of forces.  

So . . . .  When you see "facts" it is entirely possible that the supposedly reliable published source is wrong and the railfan with the local knowledge has it right.

George_Harris
Historian
Copying Links and Articles

« Reply #4 on: Aug 18th, 2010, 3:21pm »

I will also make this a seperate thread to make it more visible:

Be very careful about posting links, and DO NOT copy in articles in full.  Supposedly brief excerps are OK, but how brief or un-brief seems to be somewhat uncertain.  

I am including part of Henry's answer for clarity, as it appears that some of the statements in what I originally found are somewhat exaggerated:

"Just reading threads on Trainorders and ran across the following:    

It appears that the Las Vegas Review Journal or some lawyers in Las Vegas are going so far as to go after links as copyright violations.  I leave my opinion of that sort of stuff to the lawyers.  I am not sure what sort of level of warning we should put out there nor even how reliable the info I see is.    

A couple of quotes from a few of the posts in the thread are:  

Quote:
My first reaction to the post was over reaction going on, but just google "Las Vegas R J copyright issues" and you'll see that ANY copy and pasted text on a website is subject to a $75,000 fine, and the young punk Lawyer is goin for gold on every case, he's sued 86 people so far this year and also gets forfeiture of the incriminating website's domain name. Trainorders doesn't need to be owned by a Lawyer

Quote:
It appears to be limited to stories from that Las Vegas paper. It is a shakedown but the costs of blowing it off are far too dear. Just zap the links and stories from this media outlet. Not worth the time nor money to win.  

Quote:>>I can understand posting stories or excerpts from same, but links? Seriously?  
>  
> Yeah, I call B.S. too. It is called referring to the original source.  

BS or not, there is a law firm in Las Vegas trolling for copyright issues; they appear to be buying the copyright from the paper and then filing lawsuits. Unless you want to pay somebody else's legal bills in Las Vegas, let's play it cool with Las Vegas clips and links.  

It's easy to cry freedom of the press if you don't have to pay the bill.

The link to the thread:  www.trainorders.com/discussion/read.php?1,2256151  

Quote:
Henry
Historian

Re: Links/Copy/Copyright/Las Vegas / LV Review-Journal

« Reply #1 on: Aug 16th, 2010, 12:12pm » Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I have spent a lot of time researching copyright over the years. This is an obvious shakedown and I hope we won't see a lot more of it and I hope some judge exercises a little common sense and shuts this scam down before it hurts a lot of "little" people.  

This jerk is banking that people will be scared enough to settle for $5K or $10K without them ever setting foot in Nevada. He googles for copied LVRJ articles and picks targets that look capable of and likely to pay thousands, but not too big to be willing to fight it in court. Most of them are mom and pop type blogs.  

After googling a bit and reading some articles on the LVRJ's competitor's site, the LV Sun http://www.lasvegassun.com/ , I think the practice of posting full articles in forums and blogs may be becoming more risky, which sadly hurts us all in the long run.  

Henry

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2010, 3:23pm by George_Harris » Logged
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »