Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 23rd, 2017, 4:24am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Mr. Bear's basement layout
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Mr. Bear's basement layout  (Read 153 times)
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« on: Mar 17th, 2016, 4:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

So, I just bought a house, and have a 16x16 area in the basement that will be used for an HO scale train layout. Unfortunately I will lose a little bit of space to gain access to a few other areas, but that's ok. I started drawing out the basic shape of the layout, and will upload a picture of that when I am done drawing.

Henry
Historian
Re: Mr. Bear's basement layout

« Reply #1 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 4:35pm »

Congrats on the new basement with house attached!

You should be able to get some good action going in a 16'x16' space.

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 4:53pm »

I have some interesting ideas. I am leaving a section out to gain access to my panel box. This section will be part of a "river" so there will be a bridge crossing it. The bridge will be scratch built so that one of the spans can be lifted out to be able to walk through. There will also be a second tier on the far left side where I will have a small power plant. I have a crazy idea for that.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Aug 15th, 2016, 6:28pm »

Well Mr. Bear a few days short of 5 months ago you spoke of your layout ideas. Has life allowed you to get the layout going. That other things do pop up, occurs in everyone life from time to time. How about a up date.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Sep 17th, 2016, 5:26pm »

Ran into some issues around tax time earlier in the year, plus I had to dump some money into my truck to get it inspected again. I should be able to start building in November. Currently everything I have is DC but the new locomotive I bought is DCC ready (not equipped, but ready). I don't know anything about DCC, but still have time to learn. I also still have a pile of things I need to get my hands on. One locomotive will definitely not be enough for this. May even run a small commuter train between the towns but that is not one of my crazy ideas. I want to put a rotary dumper in at my power plant, and find a way to transfer the coal back to the mine to be loaded into empty hoppers again.

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Oct 2nd, 2016, 11:53am »

Ok, so I have come up with another design for my layout. The first one has a 4 foot by 4 foot section missing from it to access the pump room in my basement. it also has a cutout so that you can access the panel box on the other side of the room with a bridge that would be able to be lifted out. The second level would only be on the left side of the room.  

My other idea is to use a 13x13 area with a 3 foot wide path around three sides of the layout and a cutout in the middle. the second level would actually be a bit bigger, as it would be a U shape instead of just being along one wall. With this one though, everything would be more squished together. Or at least it seems that way. I havent finished drawing either of them up.

I am using a program called Train Player to create these, it's pretty cool and allows you to run trains and draw up whatever you can think of if you have the patience to do so.

Henry
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Oct 2nd, 2016, 12:31pm »

Can it export layout files as an image? I'd love to see some of your layout designs!

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Oct 2nd, 2016, 2:34pm »

I could always take a screenshot. I am working on the 16x16 layout right now. Once i have that close to what i want i will grab a screenshot of it.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12th, 2016, 8:19am »

Mr. Bear a 16 X16 layout needs a walk in center, unless you got real long arms.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 23rd, 2016, 8:10pm »

How is everything with You Mister Bear. I hope you and yours are alright, and everything is OK for you this Christmas season.  
 Merry Christmas
from Frank and my Family.

« Last Edit: Dec 23rd, 2016, 8:11pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »