Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 24th, 2017, 12:52am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

HO layout in a small space
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: HO layout in a small space  (Read 140 times)
Michael_J
TRAINing
View Profile   WWW  

layoutAB_copy.png - 39574 Bytes
« on: Jun 26th, 2014, 2:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hello. I am planning my first layout, and I have very limited space. At first I thought of just a 4'8' layout, and it is still in my mind as it is simplest to construct. However, I have also considered going around the three walls. Could I get some input on these ideas, or maybe some other suggestions? (Please don't say move. I am hoping this will be the last place I will ever live.)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/layoutAB_copy.png
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2014, 2:04pm by Michael_J » Logged
TAB
Historian
Re: HO layout in a small space

« Reply #1 on: Jun 26th, 2014, 3:04pm »

....the shape of the second plan will certainly make for a more interesting layout but you will not be able to fit an HO scale, 18" radius curve into those 3' dimensions. The radius is measured to the center line of the track which means you'll have ties overhanging the edge of the table. In N scale the 3' distance is not a problem. In HO, if you use smaller than 18" as a minimum radius, you will severely limit the type of equipment you'll be able to run.....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
Henry
Historian
  layoutAB-2.gif - 31931 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Jun 26th, 2014, 6:13pm »

I agree 100% with TAB. What you can do is increase the sides of the "U" to 40" wide and then you can squeeze 18" radius corners in. Something like the attached modification of your design. I would also add triangle pieces on the inner corners to make it easier to wrap track around the inside corners.

Henry

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/layoutAB-2.gif
Click Image to Resize

petey
Former Member

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2014, 9:11pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

I'm not real good at this, but consider this:  increase the width of the two sides to 48". You will then have a dogbone shape. This will allow for 22"r loops, which then provides for a greater variety of locos & passenger cars.  Your  center section will then be about 2', but if you bring the two tracks, in & out of the loop, close together at the point where they enter your center section, you would then expand the width of this center, and also allow you to reach toward the corners of the layout.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »