Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 22nd, 2017, 2:12am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Mr. Bear's HO Scale project
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Mr. Bear's HO Scale project  (Read 377 times)
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« on: Oct 21st, 2013, 11:51pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

As I've said in a few other posts, I'm working on a layout of the two lines running North from Pittsburgh to Butler. The line to the East is the Bessemer & Lake Erie, which is currently owned by Canadian National.  

The Southern part of the line to the West is owned by CSX. This runs North through Evans City to a place called Eidenau Junction, which is located where Breakneck Creek dumps into the Connequenessing Creek. From here, the line runs to the North and to the West. The Allegheny Valley Railroad carries freight to this point. The line to the West in my layout will end under the Hartman Rd bridge. Also from this point, the Buffalo and Pittsburgh Railroad runs to the North along the Connequenessing Creek to Butler. The BPRR also leases the CSX line all the way to Allison Park, but rarely uses it.  

I have separated this into 188 sections. Took a lot of work on google maps to figure all of that out. I have pictures of a few of the crossings, overpasses, and underpasses. All taken from my car (you can clearly see that in some of the pictures). I still have a ton of research to do, trains to watch, and pictures to take. Thank god for external storage... Will post more tomorrow, time to get some sleep.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Mr. Bear's HO Scale project

« Reply #1 on: Dec 26th, 2013, 8:37am »

Well Mr. Bear still waiting to see the info spoken of.  
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 26th, 2013, 9:20am »

Sorry about that, been hibernating. I will get some things posted tonight after visiting the place that has inspired all of this.

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

StationHillRd_912x684.jpg - 83414 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26th, 2013, 11:49pm »

This is Bakerstown Station. There is no longer a station here, but it was the location of an old B&O station.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (83414 bytes, 912x684 pixels)

Click Here to View Image StationHillRd_912x684.jpg - 83414 Bytes

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 27th, 2013, 8:52pm »

To bad you don't have a before and after view. Those large blocks of stone were a part of the station?
 frank

« Last Edit: Dec 27th, 2013, 8:53pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 8:11pm »

Google is our friend, sir.

http://www.west2k.com/papix/bakerstown.jpg

This is on the other side of the street, from what i can tell, so i will post that pic as well. The blocks you see are from one of the very few current businesses that reside here. That west2k site also has a rather old pic of the station from when two tracks ran through here. also found out that there used to be a tunnel through the area, but once part of it collapsed, they dug a nice big trench through here. apparently part of the tunnel is still there, not sure though, will find out for myself this summer. That west2k site also lists a whole mess of other stations that used to be along this line but no longer exist. There were several stops along here, including the old wildwood coal mine that isnt there anymore. There is only one track, and the skeletons of multiple bridges at this location.

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

StationHillRd2_912x684.jpg - 279032 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 9:05pm »

Here's the other side of the road at bakerstown station.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (279032 bytes, 912x684 pixels)

Click Here to View Image StationHillRd2_912x684.jpg - 279032 Bytes

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

EPennviewAve_912x684.jpg - 303562 Bytes
« Reply #7 on: Dec 29th, 2013, 9:43pm »

Also, I see a list of former stations running south to north, most of which are along this part of the line that will be part of my layout. There are some stations still standing. And parts of some that are still standing, like the pic I attached here. I'm not 100% sure, but I think this may be the one they refer to as Undercliff. There is what looks like a covered platform, then it has its own rickety lil bridge that runs over the creek to another structure, then the lot is completely empty, fenced in, and i believe for sale...or at least for lease.

Image exceeds Forum display limit of 300000 bytes. (303562 bytes, 912x684 pixels)

Click Here to View Image EPennviewAve_912x684.jpg - 303562 Bytes

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Apr 29th, 2014, 11:33pm »

Ok, decided my layout was going to be a bit naked without it, so i'm continuing the line on the west side of my layout farther south to Etna. From here I will also include the line that runs along the river, it will run from Etna almost the whole way to Creighton. It also runs under that behemoth of a bridge that the B&LE has. I have only seen NS using this line, but I will find out more at a later date. I am taking a week off very soon to do more research. I recently took a short video of a southbound AVR train, and in the beginning of the video you can see that there is a BPRR train waiting in the siding between valencia and bakerstown station. Will post a link once i get it put up on youtube.

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: May 30th, 2014, 9:42pm »

Ok, here are links to two videos. One was taken on good friday. The other was this week.
http://youtu.be/gwQ6lQB61yA
http://youtu.be/qB51jVkzsUA

Just part of what I have been doing, along with taking a buttload of notes, mapping everything out, and I've probably put a good 400 miles on my car just this week trying to get more than just the AVR. Of course, the trains on my layout won't be exact, but its good to get an idea of what I need. I still have loads of work to do. Loads.

« Last Edit: May 30th, 2014, 9:54pm by MrBear » Logged
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Jul 24th, 2014, 11:53pm »

so I have started collecting some rolling stock. 3 BLE hopper cars and a UTLX tank car. never realized how expensive everything got. i will get pictures up soon. probably going shopping again this weekend since i will be over that way.

TAB
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Jul 25th, 2014, 12:35am »

....do you have a track plan that would give us an idea of how this layout might look?....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Jul 25th, 2014, 7:42am »

I am still working on that part.

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 10:22am »

Well, everyone, I'm back. I did finish mapping this beast out, but this project has been put on hold until further notice. Nothing bad though. Stay tuned for details.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 5:24pm »

I am and have been waiting. Like to see other peoples work. frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Mar 17th, 2016, 5:47pm »

Check out my other post, the new one from today. That project will be my learning process. Always better to know what you're doing before you tackle something massive and expensive.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Apr 17th, 2016, 8:25am »

Well Bear, hello there again. It seems you are really looking into a particular railroad and branches of that road. Seeing the train run along side the road you were driving on brought back memories. Just in my memories the equipment was of a much older style. Those large tank cars with the basic owner lettering and classification markings are very different that than the 8 to 12 thousand gallon cars I remember with many different company names on them in changing decorative lettering and colors. It sure was different then. Lots of names. Lots of colors. lots of designs. And they were pulled by steam engines of many different sizes and types. I different time.  
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Apr 17th, 2016, 8:53am »

Frank, that must have been awesome to see. The only steam engine I've ever seen hasn't moved in years. From what I understand, the owner wanted to restore it and run it along the AVR line (the one in the videos). Not sure what happened with that.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Apr 17th, 2016, 1:49pm »

Bear; I hope it all come out well. frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Sep 20th, 2016, 9:01pm »

this one will take a long time to build. a very long time. I have plenty of pictures. still need more. I have some of it mapped out. Still need more. I definitely don't have enough space just yet lol.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »