Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 9:40pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

HO "Genesee Valley" Layout
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   HO "Genesee Valley" Layout
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: HO "Genesee Valley" Layout  (Read 1244 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: HO "Genesee Valley" Layout

« Reply #40 on: Oct 3rd, 2013, 7:57am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I hope you keep adding to the photos here on your layout. I do enjoy looking and seeing what is happening their. Maybe use the layout for a older time period with some Lackawanna steam power or later diesels.
 Especially rolling by the Tower.
Thank you ! You have a great layout.  
 frank

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2013, 7:59am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P9025471_resized.jpg - 152309 Bytes
« Reply #41 on: Oct 10th, 2013, 7:28am »

The rolling stock.

Long before this layout was a gleam in my eye, I started modelling the G&W engines and cars.  I knew that I would need covered hoppers, and lots of them.  I took many photos of the salt trains and also used my dads videos to start figuring out what I could use and how I could do it.  The salt cars were mainly GWIX reporting marks.

At the time in the early 90's, there wasn't all that much available for HO covered hoppers. The best choice for these models was Athern.  This picture shows two examples of the same model, Pullman Standard cars.  The grey car was custom painted and lettered by me.  I believe I used M&W grey and a hodge-podge of lettering and hopper decal sheets.  This decal approach was very time consuming to apply but well worth it.  The Milwaukee car was much easier.  The G&W had these second hand cars and all that was required was painting out the reporting marks and applying GWIX reporting marks.

I'll discuss the weathering of the models later.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P9025471_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P9025468_resized.jpg - 148989 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 9:49am »

Part of the "original" train from the early 90's.  Another Athern PS car and an Athern ACF car.  I think I used EL grey for the ACF car.  When you saw a G&W salt train, it seemed liked they used a different color of grey for each car.

Now I'll give my two cents on weathering.  I've always tried to be somewhat prototypical with my modeling.  When you look at 1:1 scale real trains, you will see that the cars and engines are dirty/rusty/icky etc.  It always bothered me a little to see people who spent time and great detail modeling, but have a whole layout of cars and engines that looked like they just came out of the RR paint shop.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying they don't have the right to do that.  But as for me, I decided that I wasn't going that route.  Again, please don't misread me, no negativity meant whatsoever.

Salt cars suffer from the same dynamic as our vehicles in the northeast, salt damage, ie - rust.  The tactic I employ (for the most part) is to use pastels.  I grind up differnt color pastels into a dish to make a rust-like color.  I spray my cars with dull coat after decaling, or also right out of the box if applicable.  Then I take small stiff brushes and apply the pastels.  This gives me the opporutnity to stratecially place the rust in locations corresponding to ribs, supports etc.  After I'm done with the pastels, I again spray the car with dull coat to seal in the pastels so that they won't come off on fingers when handled.  I'm also not a big fan of just weathering using just an air brush.  A lot of air brush weathering looks too good, that is, too even.  I try to weather to make my stuff look like crap, like the real stuff.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P9025468_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

MrBear
Enthusiast
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Oct 17th, 2013, 7:24pm »

I really like your layout. It has given me some pretty good ideas for when I start mine. Especially the weathering. The B&P will be part of mine. I am still in the researching stages at this point. Haven't really even started collecting engines or cars yet, just pictures.

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P1265656.jpg - 147253 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 4:03pm »

G&W 45 and B&P 21 bring the salt train from Retsof into the yard at the Silver Spring interchange.  There, they will interchange with the Delaware & Hudson turn from Binghamton on the Southern Tier.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1265656.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P1265660.jpg - 148039 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 4:08pm »

The G&W engines meet the D&H engines at Silver Springs.  The G&W dropped loads and will return to Retsof with empties.  The R&S staging yard can be seen in the background right with SB Kodak coal and a general freight trains present.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1265660.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P1265661.jpg - 137073 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 4:10pm »

The D&H salt turn returns east toward Binghamton.  Both of the engines are made by Atlas.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1265661.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Mar 15th, 2014, 9:56am »

** Had to say hello again. I've continued to view you layout and do like what I see. Your is a very modern layout. Very up to date. Being a modeler also I relate to your layout as to running only diesels. I don't do it all the time. I like steam to much. I run different time periods that end about 1970. I guess that is where you time period starts.  
* You do good work . Very interesting. Keep it up.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #48 on: Mar 18th, 2014, 7:08am »

Frank, you can see some "fantasy" steam pictures from my layout on the "lets see your engines" page 33 and 34.  My son makes sure that I rotate through running our steam engines!  Thanks for the kind words, it's nice to know that others enjoy the pictures!

« Last Edit: Mar 18th, 2014, 7:09am by CandF » Logged
CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P4275783_resized.jpg - 176292 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Apr 29th, 2014, 1:12pm »

The R&S freight has finished switching at Leroy and heads south.  The B&O unit was picked up at P&L Jct., it was the three-axle test unit for joints, turns and switches.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P4275783_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P4275784_resized.jpg - 156288 Bytes
« Reply #50 on: Apr 29th, 2014, 1:15pm »

The SB R&S freight climbs the hill towards the layout helix.  What would railfanning be without utility poles in the way?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P4275784_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P4275785_resized.jpg - 208681 Bytes
« Reply #51 on: Apr 29th, 2014, 1:18pm »

The SB R&S freight passes Warsaw where it will shift the propane facility.  Some technical difficulties arose with the power, so the G&W 62 replaced the troublesome units.  A WAG train sits on the Southern Tier controlled siding.  Remember, it's my layout, I can run what I want.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P4275785_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

VCtrainmaster
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #52 on: May 3rd, 2014, 10:18am »

took me a while to open to your email and checking out the site. Not only were the duck unders at the old east penn MRR bad for the lazy young members, now that I am older I'm not sure I could get back up rail side. Some day I would like to here the real story to the obtaining the flood lights and how you even heard about them? Nice pics of your layout. I am starting to model the Emmaus Station after all these years have gone by. I still have my drawings and measurements before it was altered after the fire.  Later!! Dan

VCtrainmaster
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #53 on: May 3rd, 2014, 4:25pm »

I see those reading hoppers. The layout looks great.

CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

P9066576_816x612.jpg - 98758 Bytes
« Reply #54 on: Sep 12th, 2014, 5:50pm »

It's been a while since my last post.  This photo represents the last area of base scenery required on the layout.  The crossing is in place and after this photo, the last scenery was applied.  Now all that remains are the details.  Such as crossing protection, vehicles, and other assorted details.  This crossing is on the G&W mainline between P&L Jct. and Retsof.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P9066576_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 12th, 2014, 5:54pm by CandF » Logged
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

DSCF0276_-_Copy.jpg - 219612 Bytes
« Reply #55 on: Oct 21st, 2014, 8:12am »

I've been hiding in the background watching the going on's here. Now with this seen I must respond.  
 Up the muddy river to the old mill stream. Goes the flooding river waters full of dirt and clay. Well that didn't rhyme. I can see one of your pole'ly looking thingies has started to wash away. Somehow going up stream. My only comment, besides my song is. "That is one muddy river.
 I don't say mush. Ops much! But when I do, even sometimes I don't even understand the point of what I am saying. But I am still smilling.
 Again good work Allentown'er.
Frank

PS My son lives in Saylorsburg, and he's got a big layout also. Not done yet. Main lines are completed. Main engine terminal is I'd say done. He working or a large Industrial complex and it is almost done.  

Here is the Allentown yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/DSCF0276_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 21st, 2014, 8:42am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #56 on: Oct 21st, 2014, 8:55am »

I went back and looked. For me it was page 32. Their were photos of a pair or Reading Northerns and a LNE 2-8-0. All very nice locomotives.
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »