Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 8:29pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.  (Read 7335 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Old freight car kits from the 50's and 60's
  Ulrich_flat_w_trailer_train_002.jpg - 57416 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20th, 2011, 8:38am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

post 21

* the Ulrich car line sold by Walters for many years have filled the aviable railroad car stock with well detailed models. This is the Ulrich. This is a all metal flat car almost the same as a Penn Line and others. The Ulrick came with triangular support to accept the trailers king pin,  for the truck load. The wheels were held nicely in place by the cast in detail on the flat bed floor. A screw can be seen coming up through the floor into the trailer body holding all in place. This load wasn't going anywhere. Penn Line used round tubes to hold there truck bodies in place, with no screw. The trailer just sat there and could vibrate off. The same flat was also released with no raised truck body supports. I know of this different Trailer carier flat car being sold one way. It was sold with a removeable Wood Load.
* Here is my one and only ulrich flat with truck load. The car itself is just painted black with no lettering. The Truck body is the MONON, Trailer-Maid rail Service.
* On this USA made model car, all is metal, including the load and tires.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Ulrich_flat_w_trailer_train_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2012, 6:34am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Quaker_State_2.jpg - 73916 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Jan 18th, 2012, 10:34am »

For today I chose what I think to be a old Mantua Tank car , which I think also may be a Varney. It has a nice Quaker State Oil Company lettlering set. It is a metal car with paper sides applied to a metal tank tube.
 Frank
edit 1 : 8/14/2012 This weekend, I seen a texaco tank car of the same type. It has for a center a wood dowl. Paper printed sides, and stamped metal ends. That must be how this Quaker State car is made also.
* Now reviewing this car it has handrail stachions of a mantua type. The kind used on Mantua Locomotives of the 1940s and 1950s. I am changing the Manufactures name to Mantua from Varney.  

frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Quaker_State_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2012, 6:38am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

old_wood_Beer_G_Heilemanold_wood_19511.jpg - 60291 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 11:41am »

post 23

** A third wood reefer the same as post 16 and 19 in another Beer type.
*  " Heilemans Old Style Lager " URTC0 19511.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/old_wood_Beer_G_Heilemanold_wood_19511.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
petey
Former Member

« Reply #23 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 8:09pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Hey Frank, et al,
If you want old brewery reefers, go to the Greenway site.  Many, many of them there.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #24 on: Feb 2nd, 2012, 9:10pm »

* Pete, The Greenway products are not from the 50s and 60s. They do not belong here! Most Greenway product beer reefers are of newer or  imaginary beer distributers. It has ugly untypical type cars. not representive of the 1920s to 1950s. I have more than plenty of beer reefers. I can easily say I have enough. Of the made up Brewerys, I probably have only one 1.  
* This thread is for old freight car kits from the 50s and 60s. I would expand on that by saying the all metal ones, cast, or tin plate. The old ones, wood, or metal with paper sides. The old wood kits with thick decals and larger than scale wood in more OO than HO. The old cars from companies no longer in business, or car dropped from their product lines, and the like. All made in this era, the 50s and 60s. You can add to this the 40s.
 frank

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2015, 7:02am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

supreme_640x480.jpg - 33348 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15th, 2012, 10:17pm »

** Back to a old wood reefer. By that I mean this model is made of wood. Made completly of wood.
* The Supreme Biscuit Company.
* This kit was made by Binkley.
 Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/supreme_640x480.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 11th, 2012, 6:44am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

SHPX_312_3_dome.jpg - 70579 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Mar 1st, 2012, 4:39pm »

Post 27
 **  A old all metal tank car with 3 domes. if you have seen this car and know who made it please post a message here or PM me.
 frank

*** Edit September 4 2012. I have found in a old catalog that Athearn made a 3 dome tank car in the road name Shippers Express. This car has the same road name. I will try to look further into this.
* When I look through the old catalogues in the HOseeker site Athearn lists having a Shippers express 3 dome tank car. This could be it, but it isn't. This car is a original Globe car from before Athearn purchased the line and added it to their line.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/SHPX_312_3_dome.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2015, 7:53pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Phillips_66.jpg - 81322 Bytes
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14th, 2012, 11:08am »

post 29

GLOBE Old metal tank car Phillips-66, P&PBX 9236. Marked GLOBE on bottom of walkway.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Phillips_66.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 24th, 2015, 11:35am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

old_wood_box_car_DD_GN_3506.jpg - 46311 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Apr 20th, 2012, 7:20pm »

From a old wood kit, maybe Ambroid. A 40' double door box car. Great Northern Railway. GN 3506.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/old_wood_box_car_DD_GN_3506.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #29 on: Apr 21st, 2012, 9:47am »

Frank -  

Fascinating thread! GN 3506 (just above here). It is trying to tell us things! See the "cross wise" shapes on roof, which also supported walkway?

Back sometime ago (oh, during the Garfield Administration?), I built up a similar kit. Seems to me, for the roof detail, the kit supplied about  
a dozen stamped, thin metal shapes. The kit user had to gently bend to conform to roof, and the end (of each) were gently bent over to catch the  
milled stock edge of the roof piece.

Beats me what supplier? I know I had a preference for Ambroid and Laconia. May still be around here somewhere. I recall doing a typical  
CN Box Car (which line used largely for grain), an ACL "Watermelon Car" and a number of the Ambroid Day Coaches...

Support testimony here: Yes, ATHEARN did acquire GLOBE (long, long ago). IIRC, first opportunity for Athearn to get the EMD F- unit tooling.
Then, the sad business of much of the old VARNEY tooling went to LIFE-LIKE,,,

..............................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #30 on: Apr 23rd, 2012, 8:25pm »

Vern , Hi there. Thanks for the recolections. As you see when looking at all the posts here in this thread, the Ambroid and Lacoina names are represented. One in the ACL watermellon car and the other in a dry Ice car. Others shown are Athearn, Globe, Red Ball, Ulrich, Railway models, Silver Steak, Varney, and Mainline. Tho I didn't put in the Silver Streak name to any car, I think it made the Heilman, Prima, and Miller beer cars. I.ve been told that. I have a lot of others, mostly old Mantua, and Varney. And others I dont know who had made them. So as long as there is interst in them I will keep on placeing photos here. I hope to here more from you.
* Frank

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2012, 8:30pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

reefer_Grand_Canyon_SFRD_24082.jpg - 40983 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: May 26th, 2012, 9:01am »

* My next car is a 40' reefer. Santa Fe, Grand Canyon Lines. I am sure that the under floor steel beam with the open areas to allow for cables, chains and air lines to pass through will say to a knowledgeable modeler just who produced this car. I dont know. the painted sides are realy printed paper sides. Mantua did that. You would buy the boxed car kit and the hobby shop owner would let you pick thro his selection of printed paper sides for one you want for your car.

Road markings are : SFRD 24082

frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/reefer_Grand_Canyon_SFRD_24082.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2012, 9:15am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P6033161.jpg - 53427 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: Jun 3rd, 2012, 9:41am »

above in reply 31 I spoke of the reefers where you selected paper sides for them. This also applied for other types of cars. Hoppere, box, and others. Here is a picture of a Mantua box for a reefer kit. read what is said on the box.  
* This is one side of box. A all metal reefer. Collage Inn soup.
frank
 next post has other side of box.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P6033161.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2012, 9:45am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P6033164.jpg - 93262 Bytes
« Reply #33 on: Jun 3rd, 2012, 9:46am »

Same box other side. This is how it was ! Though the print is missing I think it says to get the sides from your dealer , and they are included in the price.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P6033164.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2015, 7:11am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Victor.jpg - 56426 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Jun 18th, 2012, 9:18pm »

A old name. Silvine. 1950s. A all brass tank car I decaled for  
** " Victor Chemical Works "
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Victor.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Main_Central_Box_Car_2.jpg - 46274 Bytes
« Reply #35 on: Jul 6th, 2012, 9:54am »

I dont think that i have touched of these yet. Varney all Metal 40' box cars.
  Main Central, " The Pine tree Route", MEC 6444. The same silk screens used to letter these cars were used on their later plactic 40, box cars. The same number MEC 6444 is used their. A plastic version was made by Varney for sale by Penn Line in 1960 to 1962. The number 6444 is used on the Penn-Line car. It is hard to know if you have a Penn-Line one because the only noticeable difference was a little black sticker with white lettering that said Penn-Line was applied to the cars bottom. Most fell off and were lost.

toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Main_Central_Box_Car_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2015, 7:15am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

V_M_box_NH_002_2.jpg - 86086 Bytes
« Reply #36 on: Aug 9th, 2012, 5:30pm »

*  Back Again !
* Today is another Varney all metal. Later on in the 60s plastic floors raplaced the metal floors in the box car series.
* Today's car is a 40' box car. New Haven. NH 30862. orange and silver.  
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/V_M_box_NH_002_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2015, 7:16am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Timpkin_2s.jpg - 64065 Bytes
« Reply #37 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 9:49am »

** Back, way back when. Globe then Athearn who purchased globe, made what became a extensive line of Tinkin Roller Bearing cars. From what I know there were only 4 different cars. 3 box car, and one tank car. What makes them extensive is all 3 box car were produced with many different car numbers. The box cars came in a yellow, blue and white version. A red with silver stripe version. last a Silver car with blue strips and details. I have all 3 but with one number each.

* Now I spoke all about the Timkin car except the tank car. For all I know it may have came out with different numbers also. I have 2 with the same number. One very beat up one I got first. later on I found this car.

* It is a Athearn car. It is Timkin Roller Bearing # 7846. The color pattern matches the first box car I spoke of.

toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Timpkin_2s.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 14th, 2012, 12:56pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 10:27am »

Frank - All -  

Brief note of the 1:1 scene of the era. TIMKEN realized importance of the "rolling billboards"!

IIRC, it had some serious competition, notably HYATT, a GM sub (?). May have been another active vendor, too...

.........................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

box_40_Timken_88_yellow.jpg - 94492 Bytes
« Reply #39 on: Aug 14th, 2012, 1:13pm »

Tinkin 2
 Box car , Athearn Yellow, white and blue details. I only have the 1970 to 1990 Athearn car in this paint skeem. Please forgive me for this error. The same car was made for Lionel with a yellow roof.
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/box_40_Timken_88_yellow.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2015, 7:19am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »