Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jun 25th, 2017, 8:17am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: HO cars 1950's-1960's, with 30's and 40's thrown in.  (Read 7328 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Old freight car kits from the 50's and 60's
  TCX_6305_W2.jpg - 148457 Bytes
« Reply #100 on: Jul 7th, 2013, 8:53am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The second of 3 TEXACO tank cars by Varney.
* Here is used a different car. One with welded seams and no dome side platforms.
The same silk screen was used to letter this car, so it has the same road number.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/TCX_6305_W2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: May 22nd, 2015, 7:58am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

TCX_7204.jpg - 135443 Bytes
« Reply #101 on: Jul 7th, 2013, 8:59am »

The third of 3 TEXACO tank cars by Varney.
* Surprisingly I found somewhere a Varney TEXACO tank with its printed info offering a different road number. Possibly it was made for sale by another company like Gilbert, or Penn Line as was commonly done. I don't know the history of this car. I am just glad I found one with a second road number.
* TEXACO, TCX 7204.

frank  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/TCX_7204.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P5115608_-_Copy.jpg - 179285 Bytes
« Reply #102 on: Jul 21st, 2013, 9:08am »

** I posted a photo of the Varney 1950-60 metal reefer Blatz beer in reply 81. Here is the Blatx Beer, Made in West Germany American style reefer by Fleischmann. About 6 months ago I found this and a few other Fleischmann cars at a train show. This car and a State of Main produce car stood out because of there condition. They are in like new condition.
** Time to share the car with you.
frank

Ol' Heidelberg Beer , Blatz, URTX 1428.

V-1675.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P5115608_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 21st, 2013, 9:13am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P5115609_-_Copy.jpg - 177068 Bytes
« Reply #103 on: Jul 25th, 2013, 7:39am »

I have a photo of the other Fleischmann metal side box car. I got at the last Wayne NJ train show. It, like the Blatz Beer car, is like new. Not bad for the late 1950's model train car.  
 Frank
V-1693

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P5115609_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2013, 7:46am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #104 on: Jul 26th, 2013, 9:28am »

In Fleischmann a couple of older cars that can be gotten at train shows, and on line for use of American style roads are 2 flat cars. Not your everyday 40 to 60 footers, but more specialties cars. One a heavy weight, articulated, depressed center car that can be used for all sorts of loads. It is a all metal car and it's weight alone is good for running empty. The other is a pair of short flat cars. They are different in that they have support bars that freely rotate, with raised ends, to capture and hold long loads. As the car with loads on run, and they pass through curves the rotating supports keep the load in place, always straight. Longer loads can be managed with the addition of another standard flat car. One to match the additional length of the load. The flat is placed between the 2 load support cars, and used as a idler car. Supporting no weight, just filling in the space between the load support cars.
* These are 2 very useful cars for any railroad. I have only the articulated flat car and will post a photo here, in this post once I have made a suitable photo.
 frank
V-1709

« Last Edit: Jul 26th, 2013, 9:36am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Fleischmann_ph-10232.jpg - 100019 Bytes
« Reply #105 on: Jul 26th, 2013, 9:46am »

***   Fleischmann Articulated, depressed center, flat car. ***. A real heavy duty flat car for carrying heavy loads.
frank
V-1714

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Fleischmann_ph-10232.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 30th, 2013, 7:46am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

A_Mobil_WSRX_8077.jpg - 185013 Bytes
« Reply #106 on: Aug 4th, 2013, 1:56pm »

Athearn all metal, old Mobilgas tank car.
frank
V-1736

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/A_Mobil_WSRX_8077.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 4th, 2013, 1:58pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Wabash_6789.jpg - 81284 Bytes
« Reply #107 on: Aug 30th, 2013, 7:44am »

This is the first Penn-Line HO car I am posting. It fits right in with the 1950s trains.
**  A Caboose. " Wabash ", #6789. a catchy number. It was a part of a Wabash train set I'll be post one at a time, less the loco.  
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Wabash_6789.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
TAB
Historian

« Reply #108 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 12:34am »

.....now you did it Frank. I couldn't help myself. I've been following this topic since the start and I've begun collecting these old kits. Tank and refrigerator cars are my favorites. So far I only have the tank pictured below. I understand it to be a circa 1950 Mantua model but I would appreciate corrected information or a conformation of the information I have....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #109 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 12:44pm »

Tom , does yours have printed paper sides, or is it painted. it has 4 things that mean to me it is a GLOBE. Athearn also made this car after it bought Globe.  
1 Globe is one company that cast a handle on to the side of the dome. 2 They also embossed rivet detail in the tank around the dome. 3 They also had what looks like maybe a drain line centered in the tanks bottom. This drain comes out of a part, retangleular , that this pipe comes out of and a screw goes through to hold the dome on. The fourth thing is 2 dome vents on top of the dome that are separate castings

frank

Edit 6-4-2015

TOM I hope you find this edit for your GLOBE, SHELL tank car, SCCX 1150 now in this topic, seen in reply 108 and 112, I have posted in reply 249 the photo of GLOBE Shell SCCX 1158. A lucky find at a recent train show in May at Franklin NJ. A matching car to your Number 1150.

« Last Edit: Jun 4th, 2015, 9:26am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
TAB
Historian

« Reply #110 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 1:04pm »

......it appears to be painted metal.....Tom

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Mantua_SHELL_SCCX_1240_b.jpg - 78538 Bytes
« Reply #111 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 1:25pm »

I edited my last post . I think it is a globe. Mantua had paper sides. I listed what I saw that made it globe. Globe also has a unique bottom. This is the mantua shell tank car.  
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Mantua_SHELL_SCCX_1240_b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 5th, 2013, 1:38pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
TAB
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Sep 5th, 2013, 3:30pm »

.....you're 'on the money' Frank.....thanks! I took a risk at removing one of the dome vents and off it came...see below...

The bottom view not only showed the drain and body screw but also the name 'Globe' cast into the underside of the frame....I never noticed that till I looked at the photo. With my eyesight, even with glasses, it's hard to make out with the holes and ladder tabs in the way.

.....is that date of around 1950 accurate?......Tom

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #113 on: Sep 6th, 2013, 4:20pm »

Tom hi there. Great picture of those details. My camera is not good anymore and I need to Replace it. You photos are clear. Nice to view. They are so clear you can see the 2 triangular sign posts that need to be bent 90 dregs up to be properly displayed. You can see the differences I note about the globe car. The rivet detail ring around the dome is the same for Silver streak tank cars. That drain detail you show underneath is a globe and later Athearn detail only.  
* Tom about the 1950 date it I think is earlier than that. Globe was around in the 1940's. I don't know what their HO line was then. Not that it matters. 1950 is old enough for calling a train old. Now me at 67. I don't think I am that old.
 frank
PS : Can I copy you photos of the details and use for reference ? It helps with the remembering.

« Last Edit: Nov 26th, 2013, 7:36am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
TAB
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Sep 6th, 2013, 9:57pm »

Hello Frank...yes, most certainly, feel free to copy the photos. I did notice those two triangular signs but I didn't attempt to bend them upright as I didn't want to risk cracking the metal. Thanks for your help in providing information about this piece....Tom

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #115 on: Sep 7th, 2013, 6:22am »

TOM. with the signs. Scratch them on there down facing side. If they are brass, they should bend up without cracking and the scratch will face the tank and wont be seen. With mine, I seem to have gotten many that were assembled but not painted, I guess I'll have to take them apart, paint, then reassemble them. One thing about those old metal tank cars is they have good weight and run well.
 When you closed your store did you keep the railroad layout you had in the back and the traction one up front in the store. Got any photos of them. There must be a MY layout topic here somewhere in HO section.
frank

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2013, 6:25am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
TAB
Historian

« Reply #116 on: Sep 7th, 2013, 1:47pm »

Hello Frank....I'll try your suggestion for bending the signs....thanks! I still have the two layouts. They are stored in the garage at my daughter's house in, of all places, Bayonne. It's been a slow process but on half of the two car garage as been walled off and supplied with an electrical connection. The lights are in and soon there will be heat and air conditioning. The only pictures I have are of the Ogden Mine Railway which was the layout at the back of the store. These can be seen on my web site that can be reached by clicking on the "W" icon over on the left.....Tom

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #117 on: Sep 7th, 2013, 7:40pm »

To bad about the trolley layout. I remember the timing circuits that allow it to automatically run. I would waite for a crash that never came. It would make a great utube video.

frank

« Last Edit: Sep 7th, 2013, 7:42pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #118 on: Sep 21st, 2013, 4:38pm »

on Jun 3rd, 2011, 4:30pm, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
post 6

You have seen the Railway HO Models ATSF Dry Ice Car. Here is the laconia Dry Ice Car. Mathieson Dry Ice.

I find this car, interesting1 Not sure I understand it tho.....that was the commodity hauled in it? Dry Ice, OR was dry ices used for another purpose within the car?

That being said, if it hauls Dry Ice, for what industry?  

If it had Dry Ice inside it for hauling something required Dry Ice present, what was "that" item needing dry ice packed around it?

A VERY specialized car to say the least!

http://www.yellowstonetrainrepair.com/
Set of B&O GP-30's an train pass a set of Western Maryland GP-40's an train on Sand Patch.
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #119 on: Sep 22nd, 2013, 7:42am »

EM-1 - All -  

The Prototype History explained on a site from RV Models. The equipment were "shipper cars" with specific design to get Dry Ice to customers...

http://www.richyodermodels.com/mathieson_history.htm

.....................HTH....................Vern....................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »