Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 9:39pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Old wooden passenger car kits
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   Old wooden passenger car kits
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Old wooden passenger car kits  (Read 1600 times)
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Old wooden passenger car kits

« Reply #40 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 8:44am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

on Feb 8th, 2013, 10:25pm, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Toptrain:

I think that Ambroid kit you just posted is a model of a drover's caboose, the prototype being Great Northern.

These were used as accomodations for the drovers (cowboys?) that accompanied the loaded stock cars to places like Omaha and Sioux City on the railroad branchlines.  They took care of the cattle on the way to market.

The Milwaukee is supposed to have had some too, but not like these-but I don't know for sure.  Other railroads may have had them too.

Alan

Alan . My feeling about that car are. Ambroid called it a combine - work caboose. The photo of the box label and the size of the car seems to show it to be a converted large old wood passenger car, most likely aimed at the maintance of the way end of railroading.  Passengers were put in more safer steel cars. The workers were given the old wooden ones to ride in.

« Last Edit: Feb 17th, 2013, 8:47am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Feb 17th, 2013, 9:21am »

on Feb 17th, 2013, 8:44am, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
...Passengers were put in more safer steel cars. The workers were given the old wooden ones to ride in.

Toptrain - Alan - Lodge Members -  

To begin, for myself, I like the theory of possible "Drovers Car" use. In an "Images" Search via Yahoo! (Google likely works, too,  
if it not the same search engine.) Nothing there on GN, but a fascinating SSW Car shown. Short and sweet of all this: We have  
no idea what the guy who ran AMBROID had on his mind at time before release of kit. He may have been thinking of a local  
M-O-W Car, and little else. Does the man still take calls and E-Mail?

Concerning stated conclusion in quote, above? SIGH! Surely, we all know the problems in use of word, "assume"? The "Drovers  
Cars" accommodations on trains in Freight services, NOT Passenger! The Railroad could, and did, provide some minimal seats  
for the accompanying drovers for the live cattle shipments.

Beyond that, and especially on the huge land mass called "Midwest and Southwest" areas, the Railroads had obligations for  
"Mixed Train Daily" schedules in and out of marginal branches. Here, the ICC Regulations (as of ca. 1950s - 1960s) permitted use  
of wooden equipment. Use, however, limited for on line services only, and could not be interchanged with other lines. Worked fine  
on Branches in the Dakotas, on all CB&Q handling. Kansas Branches on CRI&P, ATSF, too. Most of the Branch Line trains rarely  
moved at better than 25 mph, anyway...

Moral: Fancy steel cars operated by the Passenger Dept. on its name trains. All the rest was, oh, catch as catch can?

....................Vern..............

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

p-05b.jpg - 96448 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Feb 20th, 2013, 8:47am »

***  I liked that last post Vern !
** Now on to another old Passenger car. I got 3 of these. For a part of a future passenger train. All of them are apart, one never built. The unbuilt one is in a box that says just Model railroad on it and a tiny made in Japan. I think they were released under the International name.  I'm not sure, but this is them. They have wood roofs and floors. All other parts ans cast metal.
frank

this is the box

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/p-05b.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2013, 8:57am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

p-05c_-_Copy.jpg - 181719 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Feb 20th, 2013, 8:49am »

**  Here they are most of " the parts " unbuilt. Cast parts I've been told came painted green. I'm gonna have to get some platform steps.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/p-05c_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2013, 9:01am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

p-03_-_Copy.jpg - 213970 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Feb 20th, 2013, 8:51am »

**  Here in this layout are the 3 cars with other stuff. One is above, and the other to the right of the parts.
** The one in the upper right is a Blinkley Kit for a circus car.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/p-03_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2014, 9:19am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #45 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 9:20am »

Frank - All -

Can't imagine what the kits are in your latest entry just above. Looks like well thought design, and good replicas...

.....................Vern..................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #46 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 1:08pm »

on Feb 21st, 2013, 9:20am, HwyHaulier wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Frank - All -

Can't imagine what the kits are in your latest entry just above. Looks like well thought design, and good replicas...

.....................Vern..................

Vern. From what i know,or should i say was told, is that the 3  that are the same  were International Model co. kits. The other is a Blinkley kit.
frank

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2014, 9:18am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #47 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 1:38pm »

Frank - All -  

I'll guess "International" the shorthand for I H C, now gone, and formerly of Phila.? They had a way of locating and offering some good classic designs...

.......................Vern...............

petey
Former Member

« Reply #48 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 10:31pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Vern,
IHC has been reborn, now in Humble, Texas.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Feb 21st, 2013, 10:36pm »

Toptrain:

Interesting find on those passenger cars!  Platform steps shouldn't be too hard to locate, I'd think.

Vern:

IHC is still around-they are in business in Texas now.  I think someone bought the name-and perhaps some of the previous inventory and marketing agreements-and is in business today as an internet seller.  It does not appear that their products are distributed through hobby shops any more, at least not here in the upper Great Plains.

Have a good one.

Alan

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 6:15am »

The internetional name is from the 40's 50's and early 60's. IHC is a name from the 90's and early 2000s. Two different companies. Two different times.
frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 7:36am »

Frank - All -  

SIGH! At this point, your Faithful Correspondent confused, at best!

In the 1960s and onward era, I seem to recall an "INTERNATIONAL" label, perhaps focus on various HO Scale Brass items, possibly with NJ address...

At the same time, what the labeling of the line of merchandise labeled "IHC" (?), a Philadelphia based firm? This the one which had the wide line of HO  
rolling stock items, near all plastic items, and most with "RIVAROSSI" labels. This "IHC" the firm with the HO Ga., examples, BL-2, Krauss-Maffei, FM  
C Liners, and numerous passenger car designs.

Guess I'm not up on current day homework? I haven't much followed the Model Railroading mags for ages. My more recent focus on HO Scale Truck  
and Bus replicas...

.......................Vern....................

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 10:39pm »

Vern:

Ok, I can understand the confusion.

The old AHM company became the IHC company sometime in the late 1980s or early 1990s.  I think, but cannot recall with certainly, that AHM went bankrupt and IHC replaced it-same owner, Philadelphia mailing address, all that.  The name changed on the box and instructions is really the only noticeable changes to us modelers.

The owner of IHC died and the current IHC appears to have come out of the estate.  

As far as International is concerned, I don't know anything about it other than what has been posted here.  They may have imported brass models and we have photos of the wooden kits here.  Unfortunately, I don't have any of the early 1960s or late 1950s modeling magazines to check for ads.

So, to go back in time, remember Pacific Fast Mail and their monthly ads in the magazines?

Alan

Henry
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Feb 26th, 2013, 10:46pm »

As a poor teenage kid I used to drool over the PFM ads every month. Brass was a dream, so was that cool sound system!

Henry

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #54 on: Feb 27th, 2013, 7:00am »

Alan - All -  

Many Thanks! An instructive walk thru another time, another place Wonderland of HO Scale! Yes! Now you remind, the older offerings  
were "AHM" label! The IHC naming much later. Agree, in any event, remained a "Philly" based house.

International label? Yes, in the era, a regular advertiser guy I recall, NJ based, with brass signal towers, and a line of related specialty  
items. My aging "wetware" memory chips failing me on the brass kits with similar name.

PFM? In its glory days, sometimes the catalogs appeared as attempts to rival any other slick magazine? IIRC, it was Seattle based.  
At the same time, we had some excellent brass offered by Ed Suydam, of L.A., and a short list of others.

And, SIGH! Your correspondent still misses the basic, yet classic and elegant line of passenger equipment kits, provided by NJ based,  
J-C Models. In later years, tooling moved to a firm in Cincinnati. Even later, name and the kits dropped off the radar...

.....................Vern.....................

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Feb 27th, 2013, 7:41am »

International sold a lot of stuff. If you have some old trains from the 1950s you proably have some. They placed the letters IMP on their stuff. They were called International Models, I think the P meant products. Here is a link to the HOSEEKER and their catalog collection for IMP models. You will see the prices were very low.  
 frank
 IMP. International Model products. Or plain old International.
http://www.hoseeker.net/international.html

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2013, 12:05pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
petey
Former Member

« Reply #56 on: Feb 27th, 2013, 9:56am »

All,  
Here is a list of brass importers using the word 'international':
CB  Custom Brass (N.J. International) 1972-1985
GHB G.H.B. International        1980-1989
IMP International Model Products       1954-1960
INT International Models, Inc.

I associated 'IMP' with Imperial Models, I have a custom painted Pennsylvania Q2  
4-4-6-4 .
Built by Takara.

I also have one of the PFM Northerns with their sound system installed, but I don't have the system.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #57 on: Feb 27th, 2013, 12:45pm »

Petey I have the same imperal model of the PRR Q2 in it's box. The lable says its model ID. It is IM-103. That number is used to list the model in the Brown Brass book. Imperial Models was IM. The importer for that model was Gem. Gem used other builder names like Olympic, Akane, and Imperial.  
International IMP was a importer like GEM. My guess is International in the late 50's have a corporate buy out and bacame Gem. Actual manufactures like Sakai and Takara went on producaing for GEM. I get this from reading from the Importer and builder list in the brown book.
frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
petey
Former Member

« Reply #58 on: Feb 27th, 2013, 2:00pm »

Frank,
Mine is IM-103.
Did you get this info from Glaab's version, or Brown's?

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Mar 5th, 2013, 6:08pm »

on Feb 27th, 2013, 2:00pm, petey wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Frank,
Mine is IM-103.
Did you get this info from Glaab's version, or Brown's?

The IM 103 is listed in the Brown,s book. 2nd addition as Gem Akane. In third addition as Gem Sankyo. Sankyo is the actual manufacture. Gem and Akane never made anything. One was a importer and the other a exporter.
 frank

« Last Edit: Mar 5th, 2013, 6:23pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »