Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Dec 14th, 2017, 7:46pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Locomotive Service areas
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   Locomotive Service areas
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Locomotive Service areas  (Read 3864 times)
EM-1
Historian
Re: Locomotive Service areas

« Reply #140 on: Oct 3rd, 2013, 8:09am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Frank, so that picture of the N-1 is something you also scratchbuilt?

I had a good look at it and I'd almost swear I can make that, from bits and pieces....out of brass none the less!

I've also seen Bowser's and or Penn Line (not sure which) I-1sa, 2-10-0 to have a air tank set up on the pilot like that, BUT dual vertical tanks, instead of the one long horizontal tank.....I thought at first, that was what you were referring too, but, this is a whole different set up here......

http://www.yellowstonetrainrepair.com/
Set of B&O GP-30's an train pass a set of Western Maryland GP-40's an train on Sand Patch.
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

N_Class_001_B.jpg - 256518 Bytes
« Reply #141 on: Oct 3rd, 2013, 9:52am »

John, this is a picture of my Westside PRR N1. The pilot detail on it is the same as what I made. PRR also had USRA 2-10-2 locomotives. They were classed N2 class. They didn't have any air tanks on there pilots. All N1's did.

Here is a link to a photo of a PRR N1. From north east. railfan.net:
http://www.northeast.railfan.net/images/prr7128s.jpg

frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/N_Class_001_B.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2013, 10:03am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #142 on: Oct 3rd, 2013, 9:51pm »

Frank,
So, your trying to custom build another N-1 or make something other then an N-1 into one of them?

As for your Westside model, it has a bent eccentric rod on the shown side! Overall looks good tho.. factory or custom paint?

Set of B&O GP-30's an train pass a set of Western Maryland GP-40's an train on Sand Patch.
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #143 on: Oct 4th, 2013, 12:30pm »

John; I have my list.
Finish the CNJ I4 and I5 camelbacks.
Then kitbash earlier 2-8-0 and 0-8-0 camelbacks.
Redo my International D&H Challenger
At this point I may be open to something else. I do 3 or 4 not so important to me projects. In the intern I will repairing any running locomotive that breaks ( one day jobs). Now if I get some wheels I will just put whatever I am on down again and finish the SP 4-4-2.
* With the brass N1 I haven't touched that engine in the 10 years I have owner it. For decapods I am happy running the Penn-Line and Cary ones I have.  
 frank

« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2013, 12:35pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #144 on: Oct 4th, 2013, 9:18pm »

Frank,
With all these projects..........what do you need for parts? I got a short list and all and we can work out a trade for everything, I'm sure! just let me know, I'm helping you get what you need to complete things, and your helping me, clear out some to open space, and get things back in return that I need as parts for the same reason!

Make me up a list.....I got all sorts as you know!

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #145 on: Oct 5th, 2013, 7:51am »

John, Aren't you doing a 2-6-6-2 articulate. I may have some parts for that if you need the drive section already made up. I have a kitbashed set, and parts from a challenger. 2 different drives. I'll get some pictures of the parts. They may be usefull to you.
 frank

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2013, 7:53am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #146 on: Oct 6th, 2013, 8:51am »

Frank,
Now you got my attention! YES I'm actually working on a few articulates....a B&O KB-1, a B&O KB-1a, both 2-6-6-4's. The DD-1 "Old Maud" 0-6-6-0, and then a Western Maryland 4-6-6-4, and lastly the C&O H-8, 2-6-6-6 Alleghany! And numerous re-designed 2-8-8-0's.......

Yeah, I got my projects cut out, needless to say!    

I am interested in all the articulate parts, I can get at this point!

« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2013, 8:52am by EM-1 » Logged

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #147 on: Oct 6th, 2013, 10:39am »

Hi John. I guess that adds those parts to the list to. I hope you can use them. I got to check my projects to see what else I will be needing.  
frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0742.jpg - 265648 Bytes
« Reply #148 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 9:05am »

Now back to the layout and the Service area.
 ** How it looks with articulated locomotives all around.
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/IMG_0742.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 11th, 2013, 9:07am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #149 on: Oct 11th, 2013, 9:02pm »

Nice collection of "Arties" Frank!   Question is that a Mantua on the turntable?

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #150 on: Oct 12th, 2013, 9:27am »

on Oct 11th, 2013, 9:02pm, EM-1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Nice collection of "Arties" Frank!   Question is that a Mantua on the turntable?

John; That is a kitbashed 2-6-6-2 using a Mantua drive and parts from a Athearn Genesis pacific. I combined the 2 locos to make what you see there.
I got three of the Genesis locos, A Pacific and 2 Mikado's. Only one Mikado would run. the other 2 have bad split drive gears. They said they had no parts for them and would not have any till they produced another run of them. That was years ago and I haven't bought any new Athearn since. I will not buy there NEW JUNK anymore. That company cant be trusted. I spent a lot of money on those engines,  and learned a good lasting lesson from it. Not sure what I did with the other mike. It doesn't matter anymore.
 As you can see one of their JUNK engines was put to good use. I re-detailed the running mike into a USRA PRR L2 . It came out good. A interesting loco.   
 frank

« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2013, 9:40am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #151 on: Oct 12th, 2013, 5:27pm »

Frank,
Interesting to know! As far as the 2 original Athearn "Genesis" locomotives, they weren't even made by Athearn! Those were made by Samsongsa, marked as Athearn and to be a in-between Brass and plastic, for quality. So sadly, they never held parts for repairs to be made UNLESS you mailed the whole loco back to Athearn for them to take it and replace the whole loco with a brand new one and then the broken one would have been sent back over sea's to be re-conditioned, mailed back and was to become the "sale" units......  

I must say, those were sad days on Athearns part, as I knew of this BEFORE I ever got either the 2-8-2 or the 4-6-2.....I however do have one of the 2-8-2's now, not that I spent much, (got in a....trade yep you guessed it!) Anyway, I haven't ran mine to much as by the time I got it done, I had the layout electrical taken apart so......  

BUT That Mantua 2-6-6-2 with the Athearn boiler looks GREAT gives that loco a whole new meaning.....How'd it mount?

EM-1
Historian

« Reply #152 on: Oct 12th, 2013, 5:42pm »

Frank,
Second post. just noticed something!!! The frame under that unit you put the Athearn boiler under, the 2-6-6-2......Would you consider a trade for a frame set up of another, with a newer cylinder style? Same thing the whole ball of wax, but even trade for trade on just the frame? I ask as that Western Maryland unit I'm planning calls for that frame that has the cylinders yours has and its one I've been hunting. What motor is in that unit? I'll make the trade even to run as well as it does right now, with just a couple of different cylinders?
Let me know!

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #153 on: Oct 14th, 2013, 10:05am »

* I like you treasure the 2-6-6-2 type. I'm still looking for a early brass one. I've seen many at very high prices. Prices that would demand a loco, with some kind of detail on it that, this particular loco has none of. Every time I see one, at the end of the show, the dealer gets to take home with him.  
* I don't miss getting any of the ones I have seen because I have always used the money I brought to that show, for a much better brass engine.  
* At the last Wayne show, a couple of weeks ago, a dealer had about 10 of these early international brass models. They were very Spartan models with little or no detail on them, other than what could be stamped into the brass of the model. All in original boxes and just one assembled. The best of them was gotten by the fellow that went there with me. A 4-6-0 camelback for a good price. Last tuesday we got together, looking at photos of CNJ, L class engines.Then at what was aviable in the way of parts to detail it. Cant waits to see how he does it.
* In 2 weeks I'll be at the NYS of ME show and will bring some brass money to what I can get there. I am certain I will find something.
* Still waiting to see that tender.
* I can go on and on, so I'll stop now, or suffer writers cramp.

frank

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2013, 10:10am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

John_English_A5.jpg - 114467 Bytes
« Reply #154 on: Dec 3rd, 2013, 7:50am »

Here a Pennsy A5 sits by the coaling tower at Frankford yards. This is a old John English locomotive last made in 1956. It is all die cast and was made in a kit and ready to run with sets. It also was made in a plastic body version for the John English ready to run toy train market in their HObbyline line.  
* The dies were purchased by Lionel and small changes were made to allow for their motor to fit. then they, Lionel released their plastic body 0-4-0 switcher. Using the same dies they made a 0-6-0 switcher and a 2-4-2 small road engine.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/John_English_A5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2014, 10:36am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #155 on: Dec 11th, 2013, 4:20pm »

Frank, question, that firebox on the PRR A-5, what make is that to have the Bellpre firebox tops? OR is that an added on detail of some sort?

I'd like to find a few of the brass detail parts for a few B&O 2-8-0's that had them from the PRR loco's that the B&O purchased from them.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #156 on: Dec 14th, 2013, 8:27am »

John the locomotive, PRR A5, is made by John English Co.

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
EM-1
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Dec 14th, 2013, 11:36am »

frank,
Damn! Here goes wishing.....those detail parts for a Pennsy-like locomotive to get the Belpre firebox "tops" are difficult to come by.... in any length never-mind ones long enough for a 2-8-0 Consolidation!

I had to ask anyway.....

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0147.jpg - 242656 Bytes
« Reply #158 on: Jan 8th, 2014, 8:39pm »

Here CNJ 2-8-0, I4 class, camelback 684 is going the coaling tower for a servicing. I scratch built the body for this locomotive. I also kitbashed the tender to make it shorter as it was more commonly seen.
 frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/IMG_0147.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2014, 10:39am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0306.jpg - 269374 Bytes
« Reply #159 on: Jan 20th, 2014, 3:42pm »

Here 2 locomotives, a Atlantic, and a Consolidation, are getting serviced with a 0-6-0 switcher leaving, and a 0-6-0t side tanker waiting with the wrecking crane. All 4 locomotives seen and mentioned in this photo are made by Rivarossi. They are very old. The CNJ 0-6-0 switcher being the newer one which in its own right a older locomotive.

frank  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/IMG_0306.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 17th, 2014, 10:42am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »