Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 7:17pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn York Modules
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   Penn York Modules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn York Modules  (Read 4481 times)
Lfire83
Historian
Re: Penn York Modules
  modorig3.jpg - 70691 Bytes
« Reply #60 on: Jan 12th, 2011, 5:07pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

What else but a 4 pack of Bessemer SD40T-2's?

We didn't acquire any motive power, rolling stock, or structures with the modules, so the new ore train on the harbor transfer will be BLE 100 ton hoppers with a mix of US Steel SD-38 power. B&P will run coal to the coke ovens off the mine branch, and Penn York will run the local transfer.

(photo due credit to the photographer)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/modorig3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2011, 5:09pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Jan 18th, 2011, 9:48am »

Unfortunately, we will not be acquiring the 7X30' layout. It would have been a nice accent to what we currently have, but I suppose building new rather than retrofitting old is more advantageous.

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #62 on: Jan 23rd, 2011, 10:25am »

Lfire;

It's a tough break to get, but you're looking at it right-you'll be able to design any additions the way you want.  The disappoint for now may be hard to handle, true, but the sense of accomplishment later will make up for it.

Alan

Lfire83
Historian
  modorig4.jpg - 74306 Bytes
« Reply #63 on: Feb 3rd, 2011, 4:29pm »

Another throwback shot, the coke works alongside the blast furnace. Note the custom build quench car over the coke batteries. I am debating on whether to run a high line for the raw materials, or utilize a ground dump/conveyor system.

(photo due credit to the photographer)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/modorig4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 3rd, 2011, 4:31pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  ModRefit1.jpg - 15704 Bytes
« Reply #64 on: Feb 16th, 2011, 11:32pm »

Unfortunately, work has me out on the road for long tours at a time, and all I can do is try to create concepts I think will work for our modular setup. My current issue is trying to draw up a working harbor for Hulett operations, coal unloading via rotary dumper (although I would love to have a McMyler dumper, I'm trying to scale back my utopian dreams for now), and at the request of our CMO, a car float. I'm already at 26X2' long, and I would like to be at half that length, so I will likely have to redraw it for doubling trains out of the main yard.  

As for physical mod work, we're seeing if we can make foam work for the front scenery strip. Hopefully it will be less susceptible to changes in humidity.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/ModRefit1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  PennYorkBargeMods_RFresize_3.jpg - 29072 Bytes
« Reply #65 on: Feb 24th, 2011, 9:13pm »

Here is a first draft of the harbor plan. There isn't much I can do for image quality with Windows Paint (since I left my CADD software at the house), so bear with me. The plan calls for a car float (9X50' cars)which will allow for random and foreign cars to have a waybill destination, with derails protecting it's interchange tracks and the slip (indicated with red dots).  

The Hulett row has 4 tracks each with a 30 car capacity, and will eventually be re-configured with a return loop feeding into the yard runner and include facilities for coal. A siding runs around the rear of the Huletts for a 10 car coal consist, to be unloaded with an excavator and moved off site by dump truck to a local customer.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/PennYorkBargeMods_RFresize_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2011, 9:17pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #66 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 10:38am »

Lfire:

A question for you on your proposed module, if I may.

I am assuming the green represents trackage.  Is that correct?

I'm trying to visualize how a laker would dock under the Hueletts if there is a runaround track.  That is how the trackage looks to me if the green represents trackage.  

I will admit I might be reading the diagram wrong and I am missing how the lakers would dock under the unloaders.    Given your lack of access to your CADD programs, I understand that you are doing the best you can while trying to work for living, too!

Please let me know if I am wrong and am missing something.

Alan

Lfire83
Historian
  PennYorkBargeMods_Hulett_746x394.jpg - 34066 Bytes
« Reply #67 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 5:11pm »

Here's an enhanced view of the Hulett module, with the legend attached. The Huletts abut the edge of the module, with about 1 inch of clearance representing the dock and waterline. The yard runner is behind the mods where the ore storage pile would normally be, which would allow for continued expansion for coal facilities.  

I'm not committed to this design yet, as it leaves a lot to be desired prototypically. I am considering redrawing it to be 3' wide, so we can have a great lakes ore boat included, and moving the car float to its own mod so it can be modeled independent of the harbor. I am hoping to start work on it in two weeks, so it will be interesting to see how far I can get with it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/PennYorkBargeMods_Hulett_746x394.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2011, 5:17pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #68 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 9:30pm »

Lfire:

Ok, that clears it up nicely!

I like the idea of widening that particular module to add the laker to it.  I think it makes a great addition, as it would make it obvious what the unloaders are for.  It would also provide a different look to your setup.  The switching that would need to be done there would keep an operator or two busy!  

The animation possibilities for the unloaders are something wonderful to consider, but that is undoubtedly an idea a very long way down the road.

Keep us posted!

Alan

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Feb 27th, 2011, 9:35pm »

Lfire:

There is a movie out there called "The Nickel Plate Story."  There is a portion on it shows their Cleveland area ore docks and Huletts in operation.  There was also a Trains-at least I think it was Trains-article on the last operating Great Lakes Huletts.  I think they were ex-Pennsy, again in Cleveland.

You might get some ideas from there.  Hope this helps!

Alan

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #70 on: Mar 4th, 2011, 10:23pm »

I understand how Huletts work, I just tend to dwell on utopian fantasies about having a massive harbor with loop tracks, 8 huletts, a McMyler dumper, and bridge cranes with mile long storage piles, all while on a modular layout that we have to haul around and set up. I scaled back the plans considerably for setup efficiency at the cost of prototypical operation. Since we already have over 70 ft of new mods to build, with most being curved pieces for the coal branch, our group decided to go with a smaller harbor with modular ends so more can be added later.  

There is also a fantastic video on youtube of the Cleveland Huletts working in their last years of operation. It even has a camera ride in the bucket!

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  mods12.jpg - 102919 Bytes
« Reply #71 on: Apr 4th, 2011, 8:50pm »

While still contemplating a trackplan for the harbor mods, I went ahead with refurbishing the old free-mo mods. I had two 1X4' mods that were first on the list. I originally built these in a rush for a show along with 5 other 2X4' mods, with the foam stacked on top of the frame (like the one shown on the right). They were built quickly and cheaply, with little thought on their long term use. They were a disaster structurally and aesthetically, so I recessed the foam into the frame, gave extra lateral support under the luan base, and soon will have legs that fully retract for easier transport and faster setup time. This will be the standard for most of the new mods. Also under construction are several new 22.5 degree on 60" radius and 45 degree on 48" radius curved mods that are on a 2% grade for the free-mo branchline.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mods12.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2011, 2:47pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  mods13.jpg - 138570 Bytes
« Reply #72 on: Apr 4th, 2011, 11:29pm »

With the foam/luan removed, the very basic construction is revealed. This was before I inserted the cross braces in the middle to keep the luan from bowing in. This basic style of construction is extremely light even with the legs attached, and is easy to carry.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mods13.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #73 on: May 8th, 2011, 10:12pm »

As an update, our group has decided to go in on several sets of Fast Tracks turnout jigs as an alternative to purchasing stock Atlas turnouts. I have never been satisfied with the look and operational reliability of hinged switches, over sized plastic ties, and worthless pop-riveted switch connectors, so hopefully this will be a good investment.

Additionally, several bullfrog switch controls were purchased to test the feasibility of replacing the current Atlas switch motors that un-aesthetically grace the tops of the modules.

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #74 on: Jun 10th, 2011, 8:35am »

There is so much to see here. I like it.  
 Frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Lfire83
Historian
  mod101_844x985.jpg - 151119 Bytes
« Reply #75 on: Jun 17th, 2011, 10:55pm »

Frank,

Rather than having a dedicated website for the mods, I thought posting updates and photos here would inspire others to get involved in modular railroading. It's truly unique of modeling, as you can insert and remove sections as you please to have different setups every time you display them. While the downside is having to disassemble it after every show and set it up again elsewhere, the advantage is being able to build as many mods as possible that are unique, and being able to plug them in with anothers' group from across the country and have a functioning layout!  

While this summer has had me at war with home construction projects, I ran on the section that is set up in my house tonight, just for the fun of it. My sound equipped LA&L C420 is my favorite diesel to operate, and a run-by of a PYR bridge gang seemed like a good shot to post. It has been a while since I last posted; the mods have not been forgotten, we are just taking a break from he arduous task of repairing the 200' of mods we operate. It has consumed more than its fair share of time, as we have the time more work will progress.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mod101_844x985.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  mod102_766x877.jpg - 103339 Bytes
« Reply #76 on: Jun 21st, 2011, 12:05pm »

G&W 45 with a cut of boxcars runs by R&S 106 and ALY 305, power for the work train on track 3.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mod102_766x877.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
penn_senseless
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #77 on: Jun 26th, 2011, 1:31pm »

Thanks for posting these photos. its amazing what another person's ideas can do when adapted to your own particular situation. Youve given me some new ideas.

This got me thinking as well, since the origin of the PY mods is the eastern lakes area, how adaptable the Buffalo, NY area is to this kind of modelling, table top flat topography, LOTS of track and junctions (before the 1980's), varied roads and traffic, and industries to work in. in fact, it was once described in Trains mag as  actually resembling an overzealous model railroaders basement layout. You can cram this into a smaller area and not be too far from the prototype.

Lfire83
Historian
  IMG00259-20110704-1510_874x571.jpg - 87694 Bytes
« Reply #78 on: Jul 4th, 2011, 4:47pm »

on Jun 26th, 2011, 1:31pm, penn_senseless wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks for posting these photos. its amazing what another person's ideas can do when adapted to your own particular situation. Youve given me some new ideas.

Thanks for posting! As for being from the south-of-Buffalo area, it's an area we still plan to represent, even though we call Georgia home.  

A B&P coal drag runs by the PYR bridge gang, while two ARR GP40-2's with the PYR rotary plow wait to cross over.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/IMG00259-20110704-1510_874x571.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  IMG00263-20110707-2141_819x614.jpg - 66595 Bytes
« Reply #79 on: Jul 7th, 2011, 11:15pm »

The new orders came in over the last few days, Central Valley bridge and switch detail kits, Fast Tracks switch jig, and Bullfrog switch control kits. Most of these are for the new free-mo extension modules, but the #4 switch jigs will be of great value when upgrading the steel mill area.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/IMG00263-20110707-2141_819x614.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »