Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 28th, 2017, 4:33pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn York Modules
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   Penn York Modules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn York Modules  (Read 4517 times)
photoman475
Historian
Re: Penn York Modules

« Reply #40 on: Nov 1st, 2010, 9:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Sorry, that should read good work.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #41 on: Nov 7th, 2010, 1:42am »

The Penn York Road staff ventured to Atlanta for a hobby store run, and while there we were informed there was a train show going in Norcross, just down the road! 3 HO, 1 N, 1 S, a modular lego layout, and 1 G scale layouts were operating, and needless to say, we had a heck of a day!

New units purchased for the PYR roster
6 hacks for revenue service
2 hacks for company service  
35+ hoppers for coal and ore service
20+ flats and mill gons for steel mill service  
2 200 ton derricks

The PYR shop is under construction, and is a blessing long overdue. No more moving projects for other intents, and worrying about lost parts. We finally have a dedicated place to work, and storage capacity is being added. More soon!

« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2010, 10:27pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  PYR2.jpg - 56030 Bytes
« Reply #42 on: Dec 2nd, 2010, 11:07pm »

It's been awhile, but most of our efforts have been concentrated on getting the PYR shop constructed and the building secured. Still a work in progress, we're getting there...

The B&B gang DE400 crane, stripped down tender, and worktrain caboose awaiting touch up paint and PYR lettering. In the shop is Rotary #100, while R&S 106 and ALY 305 rest on the mainline.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/PYR2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  100_4567_768x576.jpg - 65586 Bytes
« Reply #43 on: Dec 11th, 2010, 2:36am »

We are finally back on track with upgrades and improvements today. We brought up several of the mods to the PYR shops for some major overhaul work. Set up in a 12X12 configuration, we can repair them and be able to test them easier and have all the tools at the ready instead of miles away. The white top mod is new, and has a diverging interlocking run off the mainline for the branchlines to tie in when they are constructed. The mod with a full length wood base is the newly completed "bascule bridge" which flips up to avoid having to duck-under the mods. The rest are in for cosmetic surgery, some needing new fascia, scenery, and all are receiving new electrical components and upgrading to the new "end standard" where the rails will be soldered to screws at the endplates, to avoid unsightly drop-in pieces, and for more uniformity.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/100_4567_768x576.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  100_4576_691x921.jpg - 110587 Bytes
« Reply #44 on: Dec 11th, 2010, 2:41am »

One of the mods currently in for scenery patching and track upgrades. The new standard will have the rails run all the way to the end of the mod, and be soldered to screws as the yard modules currently are.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/100_4576_691x921.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  mod1.jpg - 85060 Bytes
« Reply #45 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 1:20am »

This is a trial on one end of one module to see if we can reduce mod end wear by using wood trim instead of running foam roadbed all the way to the endplate. All other mods have been rehabbed to operational status, and await surfacing and some minor wiring upgrades.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mod1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2010, 1:21am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  mod3-2.jpg - 76368 Bytes
« Reply #46 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 1:29am »

After the brass screws are in place, time for soldering.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mod3-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  mod2-2.jpg - 89077 Bytes
« Reply #47 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 1:39am »

All done with soldering joints and mod end screws, overlooking the two newest additions to the module roster in the background. These will replace drop-in pieces that are structurally unstable, and several more are planned to allow for more operational flexibility once the branchlines are constructed.

The venerable mod in the foreground shows some battle scars, and will need a new fascia board on the front as well as structural support underneath the front strip of scenery.  

(edit: 600 posts? Really?)    

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/mod2-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2010, 1:57am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #48 on: Dec 16th, 2010, 9:24am »

Lfire:

Nice work on the modules.  I think the idea for using wood at the ends is interesting; hope it works out in the long run.

Alan

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #49 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 2:00am »

Thanks, Alan! We are trying to design a way to transport the mods so there is no more dinging the ends up, something similar to a bread-rack cart that we can lock them in and roll them around stacked up. Of course, I need a trailer first...

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #50 on: Dec 17th, 2010, 5:53pm »

How about a pickup with a topper?  And then racks designed to fit inside that?  

A modular group up here in Fargo uses a trailer with racks in it, towed by someone's SUV or pickup.  The racks might be removable; I don't know if they are or not.

Just ideas I'm offering.

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #51 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 2:44am »

Ah yes... Fargo, ND. I spent a winter on the BNSF in North Dakota and I almost lost a few toes to the nip while up there. You have more fortitude than I.  

As for stacking the mods, it becomes an issue of convenience vs. repair time. We have two trucks we use to move the mods currently. Stacking them directly causes numerous problems with scenery being crushed and rails bending or breaking. Since we have mods from the standard 2X4' to oddities such as 3X8', 4X4', and 1X4', and extreme measurements such as the bascule bridge mod which doesn't fold up and the delicate bridges which need special accomodation, it creates stacking problems. We have 29 mods currently, with another 15+ in the planning stage. There isn't enough butter at Land O Lakes to get those mods to squeeze into a truck bed.  

The other issue is climbing into the pickup bed to retrieve mods, which even though I am fairly young and agile is hard to do, usually ends in me raking my back on the topper and yelling obscenities to the god of poor pre task planning.      
Carrying that number of mods in to a venue is no fun either, so I thought a small fleet of wheeled carts with slotted racks would be nice to have. Then I could stack 6-10 mods on one, depending on the dimension of the mods, and wheel them in leisurely and make less trips. It's still in the research stage, but it sounds a lot easier than our current manpower reliant system, and I think would make for less time repairing modules and more time running trains.

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Dec 19th, 2010, 9:21am »

I'm not sure I'd call it fortitude.  Perhaps stupidity is a better term?  Actually, my wife has a much better job than I do, and she's not about to give it up.  Can't blame her for that!

I hadn't realized your group's plans were going to have such a large number of modules.

OK, what might work is a 16 or 18 foot long delivery truck with a lift gate on the back, with the modules loaded on racks equipped with wheels.  You could make the racks out of steel channel.

I suspect this is a long-term solution if you needed to transport all the modules at one time.  And it won't be a cheap one either!

Wish I had a better idea for you, but right now, I'm out of ideas.

Alan

Lfire83
Historian
  bf1.jpg - 67500 Bytes
« Reply #53 on: Jan 6th, 2011, 10:38pm »

One of two blast furnaces under construction for the steel mill mods. Since the new walthers kits are larger than the older structures used, and there will be several other buildings added (byproduct plant, machine shop, car re-lining shop, and additional rolling mills), some modest track realignment and potentially some new mods will be undertaken to accommodate the revisions. This blast furnace, being built by one of our younger group members, is of the original walthers release and is missing some parts, which has required some scratchbuilding. It should look good standing next to the newer kit, as most blast furnaces at the same mill were built at different times and to different specs.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/bf1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
lrdj88fan
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Jan 7th, 2011, 11:14am »

Looks awesome everyone!

I finally made time to stop and check the board all the way through. Now I need to schedule a time to come down and see it in person!  

I like the plan for the logo, looks nice.

I had a Busti CoG member stop me last week and tell me he missed the open house you use to put on. I told him where it was at and what you were doing with it. He asked if it would ever tour this way again. I told him anything was possible...  

I talked with Dave S about presenting a DVD/video to the Friday night guys. He said as soon as you get something done up to send it up to him. He will make sure it is shown to all. Length doesn't matter, but detail and updates would be appreciated.  

Hope to see more soon.

LR

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #55 on: Jan 7th, 2011, 5:20pm »

Good to hear, I welcome any members of the group to come down and check out the progress. As of now, the mods are operational, and has been run frequently as we make adjustments and add on. After buying my house, most of my efforts were focused on winterizing it and getting the shop constructed so we can work on the modules easier. It was a rough year logistically, but the CGMRC was very accommodating in letting us set up in their building, and we have had much support and help in getting the mods back on track.

We intended to have the mods on display for the Southeast Region NMRA meet in Macon in May this year, but apparently the layout tour has been cancelled. Fortunately, there are train shows frequently in Atlanta, and we intend to make our debut there shortly. The big item on the budget currently is acquisition of a trailer to haul the mods, then we will be ready for long distance shows. Most of the steel mill buildings are near completion, and with a few more adjustments to the mods I would feel comfortable taking them for another long ride.

The current long term projection to have the two branchlines operational, and everything in top running order is for the 2013 National NMRA meet in Atlanta. Between now and then I would like to get time in at several shows, coinciding with my random work schedule. If any decent venues arise on the lakeshore, I will gladly entertain the idea. On my next time off slot, I will see to it that a video is made.  

« Last Edit: Jan 7th, 2011, 5:27pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #56 on: Jan 8th, 2011, 9:11pm »

I am excited to announce that as of Monday, I should have a final answer on the acquisition of a 7X30' modular layout from a railroad museum. They are short on space, and have no modelers in the area interested in operating it, so its situation is dire at best. If I can save a layout, it's my self imposed duty to do so.  

The layout is similar in configuration to the Penn York; one side is full length yard and the other is industry and scenery, along with a town scene at one end. An engine facility at the end of the yard has a 3 stall roundhouse and powered turntable, and all switches are powered. More updates as they come!

(edit 1/11/11: Due to the weather apparently being too crummy, the museum is closed, so no deal as of yet)

« Last Edit: Jan 11th, 2011, 5:38pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  modorig1.jpg - 75330 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 5:51pm »

Time for a Penn York throwback moment,

Before our acquisition, these were taken at a show where additional modules from other members of the original group were present. The rest of the mods that we don't have are in various states of use. Some are in storage and some are in use on other layouts.

Here is a view of the 52' long yard, the 127 car bessemer ore train is on the 3rd track.
(photo due credit to the photographer)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/modorig1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2011, 5:08pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  modorig2.jpg - 87268 Bytes
« Reply #58 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 6:00pm »

Another throwback picture,

South Buffalo #20 with a slag train at the steel mill. This consist ran automatically from the blast furnace to the slag pit.

(photo due credit to the photographer)

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/modorig2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jan 12th, 2011, 5:08pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #59 on: Jan 11th, 2011, 6:21pm »

so what was powering those 127 loads of Bessemer Ore.....

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »