Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 27th, 2017, 3:13pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn York Modules
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   Penn York Modules
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn York Modules  (Read 4513 times)
Lfire83
Historian
Re: Penn York Modules
  yardladder2.jpg - 91958 Bytes
« Reply #20 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 12:27am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The finished yard ladder. Almost identical to the other side, with a few minor improvements. First, the yard runner lead was extended to allow for headroom to run a switcher and up to 4 cars to the other end of the yard without using the mainline, and without utilizing the classification tracks, which frees up the middle yard ladder for any unit working there. The new setup allows for 3 or 4 yard jobs simultaneously, each having their own isolated space to work in, free of through-traffic in the yard. Two pulldown jobs on each end of the yards pick the inbound cars off the road power on the ICT, put them in a designated yard track, and pull the made up consists out for the road power to take out of the yard. 1 or 2 jobs in the middle yard ladder drill the yard tracks, blocking consists for the pulldown job to take out to the road power.  

The car shop is a 4 track setup. Two bays X two deep are for basic inspections and repair, the third track on the car shop ladder is a pit track and droptable, and the far track is an outside storage and rip track.

Reference: SDG = siding  
   YD RN = Yard Runner
   ICT = Inbound Classification Track
   CS LD - Car Shop Lead
   MW STUB = Maintenance of Way storage track

The other end yard ladder seen in the background was lined up for reference, and has the diesel shop on it.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/yardladder2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  bridge1.jpg - 77162 Bytes
« Reply #21 on: Oct 6th, 2010, 12:39am »

An in-progress shot of a bascule bridge that will allow access to the middle of the loop modules without bending over and crawling underneath. This should be of great benefit to anyone who has ever bashed their head coming up too soon from a duck-under. When completed over the next few days, it will pay for itself in un-scraped heads and straight spines.

Next up are the replacement corners with the branchline connections!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/bridge1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2015, 10:09pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  yd1.jpg - 91405 Bytes
« Reply #22 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:16am »

The mods were hooked up to power yesterday, and we ran several work trains to clean the rails and check for problem areas. Today we were visited by members of the NMRA, in town for the division conference and to see the CGMRC layout, who had many positive comments about the layout and our plans to expand and enhance it.

The car shop yard ladder. ARR 3004 waits on the car shop lead, a tie gon sits on the m/w stub track. The car shop is outlined in yellow paint, as we don't have the building constructed yet.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/yd1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:52am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  yd2.jpg - 91149 Bytes
« Reply #23 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:22am »

G&W 45 and R&S 106 with a mixed freight on the yard runner, LA&L 420 with a work train, and WNYP 421 / LA&L 424 awaiting assignment in the yard.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/yd2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:55am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  yd3.jpg - 88105 Bytes
« Reply #24 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:25am »

B&O 4137 with a unit coal train, a U.P. steam engine idles in the background

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/yd3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  yd5.jpg - 76669 Bytes
« Reply #25 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:35am »

EL 2570 awaiting assignment with a Conrail transfer caboose

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/yd5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2015, 10:13pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  yd6.jpg - 87018 Bytes
« Reply #26 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 1:50am »

On the pulldown track, a NS yard job handles a Penn York Railroad dynamic brake equipped slug unit in primer. This unit, along with several others, will be in the paint booth soon.

I try not to post pictures of people without their permission, so it may look as though it was an empty house, but we had several operators and guests throughout. It was nice to see things flow smoothly. We had no shorts, even after all the track we re-laid, and no track related derailments.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/yd6.jpg
Click Image to Resize

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Henry
Historian

« Reply #27 on: Oct 9th, 2010, 12:17pm »

Congrats on the smoothly running first op session!

Henry

Lfire83
Historian
  br2.jpg - 77473 Bytes
« Reply #28 on: Oct 11th, 2010, 10:35pm »

Thank you, sir! It was much more of a test run with more than one train, but the only real issue we had was the dreaded "slot-max". No one had the command station book so we could remember how to fix it either! We were pretty much tied to running 3 trains, and were happy just to see it run!  

We have made some more progress. We noticed the steel mill side modules were bowed a bit in the middle, and it was causing longer cars to have problems at the mod ends. We rectified the problem by adding fascia boards to the sides, which straightened out the mods, while making them much more stable. We still have to put on the end plates, but as it sits right now, it's a major improvement. Some shots turned out blurry with the poor lighting, but here's one of the new fascia.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/br2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2010, 9:54pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  br1.jpg - 54369 Bytes
« Reply #29 on: Oct 13th, 2010, 10:06pm »

Chessie System mixed freight crossing the truss bridge on track three.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/br1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 15th, 2010, 2:42am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  ro11.jpg - 55716 Bytes
« Reply #30 on: Oct 17th, 2010, 11:59pm »

The Penn York Shops have cranked out a Rotary Snowplow, which used B-unit, wide vision caboose, and rotary parts to complete. Seen here on the Central Georgia Model Railroad Club layout in Macon, GA. It has since been painted in primer and awaits it's final colors.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/ro11.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2015, 10:14pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  ro12.jpg - 66250 Bytes
« Reply #31 on: Oct 18th, 2010, 12:05am »

new crossovers spliced into the mainlines over the last few days. The other set is on the far end of the layout.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/ro12.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2010, 12:17am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  ro13.jpg - 37470 Bytes
« Reply #32 on: Oct 18th, 2010, 12:12am »

the new corner module with branchline connections and the new lift bridge section have been put into place, and track laying has begun.

Another similar corner mod will be built to accomodate the two branchlines we anticipate having.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/ro13.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 18th, 2010, 12:18am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  ro15.jpg - 27699 Bytes
« Reply #33 on: Oct 19th, 2010, 3:34pm »

The original components of the kitbashed rotary, minus the cupola off an old caboose. The Union Pacific b unit and caboose were from AHM. It still needs a bit of filing down and the flanger blade put on.

After paint, lettering will be PYR 100.
Snow fleet designations are 100-199, in our new roster numbering system.
More on the full list later.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/ro15.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 18th, 2015, 10:08pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
Lfire83
Historian
  d10.jpg - 80657 Bytes
« Reply #34 on: Oct 26th, 2010, 11:46pm »

Three cars in the Penn York Shops. Ex C&NW ballast hopper in for PYR stenciling, ex CSX boom idler car in for a major overhaul, currently torn down to the frame, and a bay window caboose in for a paint job and detailing parts. G&W 46 and ALY 305 are in for decoders.

The rotary and a wide vision caboose have been in the paint booth, sporting the first M.O.W. scheme for the PYR. More pics soon to come!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/d10.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2010, 11:57pm by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #35 on: Oct 27th, 2010, 8:27pm »

Congrats on the starting the "test" phase of the layout!

You guys have done a lot-keep it up.

Now, I do have a small bone to pick with your CMO.  Why, oh why, take a perfectly good Fairbanks Morse CFB16-4 out of service and turn it into a SNOWPLOW?  Oh, the horror of it all!  And to think, your CMO could have just SCRAPPED it instead!

Actually, I think that is a wonderful idea to acquire a useful and necessary piece of  
MofW equipment.  Given the protoype's area, I can imagine some of these would have been found useful over the years.

Please keep us posted on the progress.

Alan

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #36 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 1:39am »

Oooooh boy, here we go        

Firstly, the b unit is a Fairbanks Morse, and is therefore expendable, regardless of condition or age.  
As the b unit was a dummy, there was no practical use for it anyway.

From our CMO:
"We have no reputable a units to pull the dummy b unit, and the original Athearn rotary was not prototypical of those rebuilt for the diesel era. I built this from pics of BN's 972554, 972558, and ATSF 199361 as primary references, although there are some differences, we were looking for a unique model as a finished product anyway. If it had been a functional b unit, it would have been assigned to the OCS (Office Car Special) fleet, which we have yet to assemble."

At any rate, the rotary is too clean, and therefore is a problem. It will hit the paint shop again to get dirty soon.
Thanks, Alan!

« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2010, 1:45am by Lfire83 » Logged

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #37 on: Oct 28th, 2010, 9:16pm »

I wasn't trying to start a riot or anything, but geez, as someone who grew up listening to the sound of FMs working two blocks from home....and it's a sound I do miss.

I am glad your CMO had the unit converted to something that the club can use.  A good snowplow is always useful in northern climes.  

When I was a club CMO, I never got the chance to do anything creative like that.  No one had done any maintenance on the club's motive power or rolling stock for ages.  Since we had an automated running system for summertime use-the club was part of a musuem and had to operate in summer-I faced a Penn Central type backlog.  I do applaud the kitbashing effort that has been made with this CFB loco and the caboose work!  

Keep up the good work and please post photos of the finished kitbashing.

Alan

Lfire83
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Oct 29th, 2010, 12:12am »

It's all in good fun; i'm just jokin around. As for progress, we are in the process of moving "the shop" to my new house, and work has temporarily been suspended.  

As for the eccentric things we create, I can explain. My job takes me all over the continent and I am privvy to seeing a lot of interesting and unique railroad equipment, and prototypical operations across the board. I bring back photos and ideas, and since we now have a venue to operate on a proto-freelance railroad, my CMO has taken the ideas and run with them. Once I get settled in, I'll be cranking them out too. Thanks for the feedback!

FRMRRC Director at Large
CGMRRC Member
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #39 on: Nov 1st, 2010, 9:11am »

I don't have a problem with what is being created; as far as I am concerned, it's all a perfectly good use of equipment-and it's a believable use and adaptation of the equipment.  To me, that is what counts!

B units converted to power snowplows?  Sure, why not?  The Milwaukee and BN did that.  Turning a B unit into a snowplow?  Just the next step, and it does look like a believeable snowplow-a lot like the BN's converted steam rotaries.  Someday, I'll need some sort of snowplow for my model railroad.  Just what I'll use I don't know; I have an old Athearn rotary that is a possibility.  Just have to wait and see what happens.  

Have a good one and keep up the goos work on the modules.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »