Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 26th, 2017, 8:58am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Gantlet track in HO how to?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Gantlet track in HO how to?  (Read 395 times)
rsmedude730
Railfan
View Profile  

« on: Sep 19th, 2007, 5:18am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey guys,

I have been wondering how you would go about building a gantlet track in HO scale. I am currently working on in my head a train layout that I would like to build. In the one section I wanted to make the mainline a single track mainline. (to add some operating interest) I'm thinking about all this stuff I remembered that a while back I was introduced to the concept of a gantlet track. I also had planned on building one of them into my layout somehow but did not know how. I now think I have an idea to get the best of both worlds for myself. I think what I want to do is build a gantlet track in that section that I was gonna put the single mainline. I feel that this will give me the extra interesting operation that I desire but also let me build a somewhat neat conversation piece into my model railroad.

I would appreciate any help comments or concerns that anyone would have that they would not mind sharing on the subject. Also I might do the smart thing and build a test gantlet track and show pics and all for you guys to see.

Respectfully,
James

James Williams

Hamburg, PA
TAB
Historian
Re: Gantlet track in HO how to?
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_1.jpg - 19552 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 12:53pm »

Hey James…There at basically two types of gantlet tracks. One takes a double track to a gantlet then back to double track. The other takes a single track to a gantlet then back to a single track. More important though than the geometry is the reason for a gantlet track.

As far as I know, the installation of a gantlet track has to do with clearance issues.

For example, in the two track to gantlet geometry, a situation might exist where two different railroads share a common section of the right of way. Part of this section may involve the crossing of a bridge. Rather than enlarge the bridge or build a second bridge, a gantlet track might be used for the portion of the track work where both railroads share the bridge. Then at some distant point the two railroads would diverge onto their separate right of ways.

A second example could involve a single track branch line that transitions into a gantlet on a main line while it crosses a bridge and then diverges onto its own route. This amounts to what is essentially a very long turnout with points at the beginning of the gantlet and a frog where the rails diverge.

A third example might involve an old, double track tunnel that no longer allows the passage of newer, higher and wider freight cars. The tunnel might be gantlet tracked down the center where clearances would allow the passage of more modern equipment.

A fourth example would involve a situation on a rail line with both freight and passenger traffic. In the event there were high level passenger platforms, freight trains would be shifted onto a gantlet track in order to clear the platforms.

The point I am trying to make is that a gantlet track doesn’t exist if there is no reason for its existence. The installation of a gantlet track, as a scenic element on its own, isn’t worth the effort.

However if you can justify the existence for a gantlet track there are two basic types. Both versions can be modeled by slicing and dicing available turnouts along with the addition of some ties and hand laid track.

One type involves the transition of a single track to a gantlet while the other version involves the transition of a double track into a gantlet.

The single track to gantlet involves the use of movable points. Two standard turnouts, a left and a right, can be modified as shown in the diagrams. The illustrations show a left hand turnout. A right hand turnout would be used at the opposite end.

In addition to the turnouts you will need ties, spikes, rail joiners, road bed material, rail, a three point track gauge, a razor saw, needle nose pliers and perhaps Atlas track nails and Elmer’s glue. Your local hobby shop can help you to select the appropriate materials.

That’s all for now, suggestions for the double track to gantlet to follow. Hope this has been of some help…Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:22am by TAB » Logged

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_2.jpg - 18365 Bytes
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 12:55pm »

Adding the track...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Sep 21st, 2007, 3:55pm »

James, Tom,

I useually don't jump in here but I thought this would be interesting considering the topic. I've had the pleasure of rideing through gantlet tracks in two places in two different scales.

The first one was in Bellows Falls, Vt. where I think the original Rutland RR and the Central of Vermont shared a gantlet tracked bridge across the Connecticut River.
The next was years later at a 1 1/2 inch scale facility in Columbia, Tenn. where I ran my equipment a number of times. It was a double track main that squeezed down to a single sidewalk crossing then separated again. Bi-directional, BTW.  

Hope I did'nt ruin anyone's train of thought.

Take care,

Bruce

« Last Edit: Sep 21st, 2007, 3:57pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
TAB
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 6:18am »

Hey Bruce…Thanks for your comments. They serve to illustrate my point that there has to be a reason for the installation of a gantlet track…Tom

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_3.jpg - 19376 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 8:04am »

The double track to gantlet involves the use of frogs alone, points are not required. At the other end of the gantlet either a left hand or right hand frog can be used depending on the direction of the diverging route. See the diagrams below. Please let us know how you did with this project. Both reports of successes and problems are valuable. Don’t hesitate to ask any additional questions…Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_3.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_4.jpg - 20391 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 8:08am »

...and

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #7 on: Sep 22nd, 2007, 7:53pm »

You done good TAB. I had never thought about modeling a gantlet track and you gave a very easy way to do it.
CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
TAB
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Sep 23rd, 2007, 6:03am »

Hey CHESSIEMIKE…Thanks for the critical acclaim. In the right place, this type of track work makes for an interesting piece of prototypical detail. I like the two railroads to a gantlet over a shared bridge scenario. This could make for some interesting signaling and interlocking possibilities. Might you be feeling motivated?...Tom

rsmedude730
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Sep 24th, 2007, 1:36am »

Hey guys thanks for the info ESPECIALLY Tom...

I was thinking of doing this in a section of my layout where do to tight radius (at least in my reality) is an issue along with making it very unfeasible for the RR to dynamite all the rock and such that would have been in the way.  

I might have to add a bridge over a river to make it a little more believable but I think the general idea will float with most people.  

I think I like the idea of using the Frog only approach to this. I was also thinking I could maybe get away with using flex track the the main and then spiking rail for the gauntlet. I have never hand laid rail before so either way there will definitely have to be some test sections made by me with some scrap track I have lying around.

I don't know how soon I will be building my layout but I did plan on getting some graph paper and trying to draw out a rough sketch of a layout. When I get that going I will try and make a scan of it and post it here for you guys.

Like I said I kinda want to try and do one cause you don't see it done a lot if at all and I think it would be an interesting and neat addition to a layout.

James

James Williams

Hamburg, PA
TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_10.jpg - 28197 Bytes
« Reply #10 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:15am »

Hey James... I'm glad you found my gantlet track suggestions helpful. Your idea to make test sections is a good one. I realize that the thought of hand laying track could be daunting so I thought of a method that keeps this technique to a minimum.

After you have a frog section and the associated lead in trackage in place you will need to modify a piece of flex track as shown in Diagram #5. I like to use a single edged razor blade and a small hammer to trim the ties back a bit. The cut should be made through the nubs that hold the rail in place about 3/4 of the distance out from the base of the rail. I position the blade and then tap down with the hammer till the ties are cut through. Keep the cuts as parallel to the rail as possible. I like to work on a piece of homasote as shown in Diagram #6 Continue cutting down the length of track. Clean and square up the cut edge with some medium sand paper attached to a block of wood.  When done, fasten this section of track in place as the normal route. See Diagram #7.

More to Follow…Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_10.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Cutting_Track_Photo.jpg - 29578 Bytes
« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:20am »

Diagram #6

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Cutting_Track_Photo.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_7.jpg - 10359 Bytes
« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:22am »

Diagram #7

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_7.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_5.jpg - 19758 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:35am »

From a second piece of flex track, remove the rail that is not fixed in place. This rail can be simply slid out from under the nubs. Use this rail to create the inner gantlet track. See Diagram #8. This rail will need to be spiked into place. Make a spacer from cardboard or some other suitable material to keep this inner gantlet rail parallel to the outer normal rail. To accept the spike, a small pilot hole should be drilled through the plastic ties. Spike the rail down using needle nosed pliers. Micro Engineering Works makes the spikes. It is not necessary to place a pair of spikes on every tie. See Diagram #9

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_5.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_8.jpg - 18679 Bytes
« Reply #14 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:43am »

Diagram #9

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_8.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_11.jpg - 10374 Bytes
« Reply #15 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:14am »

After removing the loose rail, the remaining piece of flex track with the fixed rail will provide the material for the outer gantlet rail.

As before use the razor blade to separate the fixed rail with some tie material from the remaining piece of flex track. Once again. trim the ties though the nubs, about 3/4 of the way out from the base of the rail. See diagram #10.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_11.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Track_Diagram_9.jpg - 21535 Bytes
« Reply #16 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:21am »

Test fit this piece by butting it up against the ties of the normal route. Check to see if it lines up properly with the outer gantlet rail in the frog section and is parallel with the rail on the normal route.  If not, trim or sand until it lines up.

To fasten this strip down, I would use some spray adhesive applied to the underside of the ties. Later, after some equipment has been run through the track work, spikes can be inserted for a more secure attachment. See Diagram #11.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Track_Diagram_9.jpg
Click Image to Resize

TAB
Historian

« Reply #17 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:22am »

When you do your track plan use a plastic template to trace in your rails. It is too easy to sit down with paper and pencil and come up with a track plan that will never fit into the space you have available.

By all means keep us updated as to your progress. You are going to have some fun and end up with a unique piece of track work that will enhance both your railroad's operation and scenic appeal…Tom

rsmedude730
Railfan
View Profile  

Gantlet.jpg - 13938 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 1:38am »

I want to get two signal bridges (one on either side) and then before the switch that creates the gantlet I want to have a 9" section of track. I am gonna use the terms north and south to separate the two tracks ok. Now with a working signal bridge i want to create a circuit that will do the following. if a northbound train is occupying the gantlet ( i.e. on or past that 9" straight) then have it cut the power to the south bound trackage from that 9" straight right on threw the whole gantlet that the south bound train would be on up to the 9" straight on the other side of the gantlet.

sorry for my crude drawing... I made it while here at work and only had Paint to do it in but I think you all will get the general idea of what I am after.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet.jpg
Click Image to Resize

James Williams

Hamburg, PA
TAB
Historian
  Gantlet_Blocks.jpg - 25001 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Sep 28th, 2007, 9:05am »

Hey James…Although this is very preliminary thinking, I would arrange the blocks as shown below. When a train is in the normal block power to the gantlet block would be off and vice versa. When I get to the store today I’ll look into some of the electronic control devices that might be appropriate for this application. More to follow…Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Gantlet_Blocks.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »