Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 28th, 2017, 9:46pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Let's see your engines!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   Let's see your engines!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  41 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Let's see your engines!  (Read 21611 times)
green_elite_cab
Historian
Re: Let's see your engines!

« Reply #480 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 7:29pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Speaking of EMUs,  here is one of my new Arrow III EMUs

I have 15 more in the form of kits that need to be completed.  This was an RTR example.  

The kits-

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2012, 7:34pm by green_elite_cab » Logged

PM1225
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #481 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 9:14pm »

WOOOWWWW!!!!!!! That is an amazing set that you have!
You said that they're kits, so do they come with motors or do you have to add one from a different model (such as a Budd RDC.)

It also looks like you have overhead wires, so are the pantograph functional or are the wires for a more authentic look?

So what kind of theme do you have for your layout? from what I can see it looks really interesting.

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #482 on: Jul 18th, 2012, 11:05pm »

I forgot to mention that the Island Model Works  South Shore HO scale  Gallery double deck EMU and NICTD  Single Level MUs also have matching decals,  so you can in paint them up in their entirety.

The South Shore Cars are some of IMW's earlier offerings, so they require RDC drives.  IMW sells them for about $45. They are your best bet for the Chicago MUs you want to model.

on Jul 18th, 2012, 9:14pm, PM1225 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
WOOOWWWW!!!!!!! That is an amazing set that you have!
You said that they're kits, so do they come with motors or do you have to add one from a different model (such as a Budd RDC.)

None of the Arrow IIIs came with motors.    In fact, these particular models don't even have provisions for them.    That said, the company has since begun offering powered frames for their Silverliner IVs.  They are close enough that they can be modified to match the Arrow III  without compromise.    

Quote:
It also looks like you have overhead wires, so are the pantograph functional or are the wires for a more authentic look?

I have begun building catenary structures,  but I've been trying to do catenary for years.  I either don't have the supplies, or I don't have the time,  and the layout is constantly evolving in the mean time!  

That said, I recently rebuilt all the track, and I think that i could safely hange the wires once I have a few more catenary structures constructed.  

Quote:
So what kind of theme do you have for your layout? from what I can see it looks really interesting.

For now, I just model a generically "New Jersey electrified" layout, loosely based on what I've seen around Northern New Jersey, such as the New York & Long Branch, Chemical Coastline,  and other rail lines in the area across from New York City.  

Ultimately,  I want to model the Northeast Corridor during July of 1979 in New Jersey.

As it turns out, there is a lot of specific data collected during 1979,  making it easy to more precisely model the time period.  

I'm currently researching Passenger and Freight schedules to see when which trains would be traveling over the Northeast Corridor.   So far, I have all "Westbound"  Amtrak and NJ DOT trains from New York to Philadelphia listed.    There are nearly 100 trains going one way in one day through this section of the Northeast Corridor!

The freight schedule is a little more difficult to digest, but i'm getting there.  

Here are just some of my electrics-

EM-1
Historian

« Reply #483 on: Jul 19th, 2012, 5:52am »

green_elite_cab,
Thats one hell of a fleet you got there! Any of those models from your molding practices? They look like resin plastic so, thats why I asked!

NICE work tho either way!

http://www.yellowstonetrainrepair.com/
Set of B&O GP-30's an train pass a set of Western Maryland GP-40's an train on Sand Patch.
PM1225
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #484 on: Jul 20th, 2012, 5:28pm »

You have very good taste in trains!  
I am very found of electric trains.
By the way how did you find an Amtrak GG1?
And I'm guessing that New Jersey is a hometown favorite?...lol

green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #485 on: Jul 22nd, 2012, 11:57pm »

on Jul 19th, 2012, 5:52am, EM-1 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
green_elite_cab,
Thats one hell of a fleet you got there! Any of those models from your molding practices? They look like resin plastic so, thats why I asked!

NICE work tho either way!

Nope,  all of those are kits I acquired through a friend.   I have yet to order the materials I'd need to make the molds for the other kit we discussed in prior emails.    I just haven't had the time lately,  but I hope to order up some soon.  

Hopefully though, once I get that alumilite on hand, I can create a similar fleet of the Jersey Arrow Is.   I thought about trying to cast these Arrow IIIs I have pictured,  but they are way too complex,  and their overhangs are a little deeper than the Arrow Is.

on Jul 20th, 2012, 5:28pm, PM1225 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
You have very good taste in trains!  
I am very found of electric trains.
By the way how did you find an Amtrak GG1?

Indeed!  In fact, I think that, for now,  i'm one of only a few people actually be modelling Conrail electric operations.  There aren't to many North American electric modelers to begin with, so I figure I have a unique model niche.  

I wish more people were somewhat fond of the electrics.  Experience has taught me that most people thing of Arrows and Silverliners as "subway cars",  and my electrics rarely generate discussion either at my club or on most railroad forums.   Its not that I feel people should HAVE  to discuss it,  but on the other hand, it often feels like its just me out there.    

The Amtrak GG1 was sold to me through a friend at an EXTREME discount,  but it was basically one of the Broadway Limited Imports models.   They made two roadnumbers, #917 (pictured), and #929, an Amtrak logo on a Pennsy single stripe paint job.    I'm hoping I can get ahold of the #929, as well as a plain black Conrail Patched GG1 by BLI.  

Quote:
And I'm guessing that New Jersey is a hometown favorite?...lol

Sounds about right, I've lived in the garden state all my life, and seeing the electric trains at Metropark station are what started it all for me.  Living close to Philadelphia also pretty much meant that no matter where I went, I was seeing trains under wire,  whether they were PRR, Reading, or DL&W in heritage (all of which are now either Amtrak, SEPTA, or NJ Transit).  

To be fair though,  I don't just collect NJ prototypes because they are local to me.   New Jersey has a wealth of modeling opportunities.  no less than 6 major railroads had large facilities somewhere in New Jersey,  and most converged on the ports across from New York City (PRR, NYC, CNJ, RDG, EL, LV, just to name a few).  

Even after the Conrail Merger,  you could still get Chessie System, Delaware & Hudson,  and the NYS&W,  with many of them sharing trackage as they approach the ports of New Jersey.    

In fact, even today, most of the Garden State consists of "Conrail Shared Assets Operations" trackage,  which means that seeing a mix of NS and CSX switchers doing local freight is not an uncommon site (infact, until recently,  you could still find a good number of former Conrail patched locomotives in the area).  

I'll get off my soapbox for now,  but I am kinda surprised there are not more New Jersey based layouts.  I can only think of two or three specifically New Jersey layouts off the top of my head.  

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P7253461.jpg - 96559 Bytes
« Reply #486 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 7:26am »

* Frankford roundhouse storage tracks.  
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P7253461.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #487 on: Jul 27th, 2012, 11:22pm »

Can't go wrong with a PRR T1!   I've kind of wanted one, but i've not been able to justify the cost.  I already bought a PRR J1 though, so I guess I'm set on my impulse-buy steam for now.

Then again, I kinda want a E6 and a G5, since they used to run by my house.  one day!

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P1300005_-_Copy.jpg - 43232 Bytes
« Reply #488 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 7:49am »

* Both Life Like, and AHM released this Pennsy G5 4-6-0. It was made in Austria by Lilliput for them. Also was released a americanized version of a Austrian 4-6-0. It has a unique tender draw bar. It is spring loaded. When with no load or a light load it pulls itself together to where to loco almost touches the tender.
* Here is a photo of the Pennsy G5.
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1300005_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P1300002_-_Copy.jpg - 57603 Bytes
« Reply #489 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 7:51am »

Here is the Austrian version released by Life-Like and Ahm. You can see how close the spring loaded draw bar keeps the Loco to the tender.
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1300002_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2012, 7:53am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P1300007_-_Copy.jpg - 52577 Bytes
« Reply #490 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 7:58am »

* Here is a version for you Pennsy Fans. A very different G class.  
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1300007_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P1300013_-_Copy.jpg - 113995 Bytes
« Reply #491 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 8:05am »

* Now you may wonder how many local 2 and 3 Passenger car trains I can power with these 4-6-0s.
* You can see here. This group can be joined by a brass PRR G5. A Bowser PRR G5. I have 1 of each. Model Power released Class G2 locos also. I have a pair of them. There is also a Mantua G1 4-6-0 that is on the Pennsy steam roster. 
* There are also a small group of 4-4-2s able to help out.  
* So Green E, during power shortages here in Jersey, you can lower your partagraphs and steam power will keep up your schedule . We run on good old American coal.
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P1300013_-_Copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2012, 8:17am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #492 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 9:41am »

That would be a hard sell,  gotta love the electrics!

I do have some steam though,  but nothing small enough for me to really run on my small layout-

my Lionel Challenger in a Late-40s  passenger scheme-

And my PRR J1.  

The Challenger can make it around the layout,  but the J1 can't run through the tight curves even on the outside oval!

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #493 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 2:48pm »

on Jul 29th, 2012, 9:41am, green_elite_cab wrote:       (Click here for original message)
That would be a hard sell,  gotta love the electrics!

I do have some steam though,  but nothing small enough for me to really run on my small layout-

The Challenger can make it around the layout,  but the J1 can't run through the tight curves even on the outside oval!

The broadway limited J1 I have came with a spare blind center driver easy to replace. That will help it go through tighter curves. Yours should have one also.

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

G_Class_007.jpg - 63929 Bytes
« Reply #494 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 3:02pm »

* This is a photo of the Bowser class G5  built.  
frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/G_Class_007.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2012, 3:03pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
green_elite_cab
Historian

« Reply #495 on: Jul 29th, 2012, 9:53pm »

on Jul 29th, 2012, 2:48pm, toptrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The broadway limited J1 I have came with a spare blind center driver easy to replace. That will help it go through tighter curves. Yours should have one also.

Its actually already installed, and it still wasn't enough!   .

that rigid 10 wheel drive frame is just to long for 22" curves.   Unfortuneately, I don't have the space to build a layout with broader curves, so i'm stuch for now.    

I really wish i had wider curves so that my passenger equipment would have a better time on the layout.

EM-1
Historian

« Reply #496 on: Jul 30th, 2012, 4:56am »

GEC,
Thats odd on the BLI, as I had built a friend a layout some time ago and he has 3 of the BLI PRR I class loco's and hes running 24 and 22 inch radius and it runs on both 22 and 24 inch radius with the blind driver installed! Without issue.....

I would check your rail joiners and the rail alignment!

http://www.yellowstonetrainrepair.com/
Set of B&O GP-30's an train pass a set of Western Maryland GP-40's an train on Sand Patch.
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

7-5-07_my_layout_036a.jpg - 73244 Bytes
« Reply #497 on: Aug 23rd, 2012, 7:30am »

* Pennsylvania railroad ;
** A pair of GP7s( Atlas ) and another pair of SD9s ( Athearn ) awaite dispatching.
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/7-5-07_my_layout_036a.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012, 1:11pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

Athern_GP7_PRR_1732_tuscan_layout_3-22-07_017_edited.jpg - 68828 Bytes
« Reply #498 on: Aug 23rd, 2012, 7:38am »

Pennsylvania Railroad ;
** A rare look at a Tuscan Painted Geep. ( athearn )
toptrain1

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Athern_GP7_PRR_1732_tuscan_layout_3-22-07_017_edited.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 23rd, 2012, 1:12pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

7-5-07_my_layout_037.jpg - 72507 Bytes
« Reply #499 on: Aug 23rd, 2012, 7:47am »

* Pennsylvania Railroad :
** The pair of GP7s leave on assignment.
toptrain

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/7-5-07_my_layout_037.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32  ...  41 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »