Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 22nd, 2017, 8:04am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

what do you do in HO scale?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   what do you do in HO scale?
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: what do you do in HO scale?  (Read 12057 times)
NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

Re: what do you do in HO scale?
  P8230063_816x612.jpg - 110136 Bytes
« Reply #280 on: Jan 28th, 2014, 7:01pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The layout is currently in the 1970's. I replace the vehicles and rolling stock and like magic it is another decade.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P8230063_816x612.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

IMG_0337.jpg - 138825 Bytes
« Reply #281 on: Jan 30th, 2014, 2:35pm »

Hi there ! I completed my last project the 2 CNJ 2-8-0 camelbacks. Can be seen in " scratch building and kitbashing" forum. Also some info in fallen flags, CNJ. Now I got into my next project. A Lehigh Valley 1888 4-4-0 camelback. I will be putting it in LV forum, and kitbashing forum.  

* Well the project is started. The Leigh Valley 4-4-0 camelback is being made. The drive selected is the AHM Pocher of Italy drive. The drivers on the prototype are 68". Mine are 64, A little smaller and a little further apart. I will try to replace the drivers with a set from a AHM Casey Jones. They look a lot better and are larger. I haven't tried to replace them yet. I am using a piece of 1/2" copper piper for the base of the boiler. The wide firebox will made to cradle the boiler and will properly sit above the drivers. The Cylinders are correct, as are the pistons with slides. I have already made a nice back head for the loco. It is a part of the fire box now. I will be looking for a better front pilot. No rush on that.

* Here is my first photo of work done. Not much to show.  

Frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/IMG_0337.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
CandF
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #282 on: Jan 31st, 2014, 6:59am »

Frank,

I'll be very interested to see your project progress from the frame up!  Please keep us posted on the progress.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #283 on: Jan 31st, 2014, 12:10pm »

CandF
 I am already posting it in fallen Flags/Lehigh Valley, and model railroading/Scratchbuilding-Kitbashing forums here in Railfan.net. I think 3 places in the same forum is a little to much to ask of someone. I post in Lehigh Valley because it is a LV locomotive I am modeling, Also if anywhere a better source of Information on the model. I post in kitbashing because Tom the moderator there I know from his old Train Store in Scotch Plains NJ.  

frank

« Last Edit: Jan 31st, 2014, 12:21pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
mtcg16
Historian

« Reply #284 on: Jan 31st, 2014, 3:21pm »

The LV is my favorite railroad, do alot of posting in the LV section of Railfan.net Forums! Great place!

NEFAN
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #285 on: Jan 31st, 2014, 6:07pm »

Nice project Frank. Looks like I'm going to have to search for a Camelback to run on my layout. The coal company can always lease a CNJ engine to work the loader!

nshotbox
TRAINing

« Reply #286 on: Feb 15th, 2014, 8:37pm »

im doing ns/sf coal service  on mine with dcc

TAB
Historian
  Streamline_Blue_Comet_-_WIRTANNEN_small.jpg - 38137 Bytes
« Reply #287 on: Mar 2nd, 2014, 9:04pm »

.....I enjoy doing 'what if' fantasy color schemes on passenger equipment. The photo included here is of my latest efforts. Having already established a color scheme for a streamlined version of the CNJ's "Bullet", I took on the railroads better known "Blue Comet" The car is by no means complete, in fact the lettering isn't, as of yet, actually on the model. I scaned the painted model and then added the lettering with the help of Photoshop.. I'm going to have Microscale print up the decals for me so I wanted to be certain that I was satisfied with the graphics before I incurred the expense. This rendition was done on a Model Power Pullman with Tru-Color paint and Microscale decal striping. As with the original equipment, this car is also named after a comet.....Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Streamline_Blue_Comet_-_WIRTANNEN_small.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #288 on: Mar 3rd, 2014, 8:47am »

Tom - All -  

Yes! Yes! I like this! From your rendering, exactly what in mind? That is: 1) Starting point a 'heavyweight' car? Window placement,  
and style of design suggests a Floor Plan of DR, BR, 12S? 2) Else, it is a bit vexing the OAH of the Car a bit lower, and implies  
later 1930s - Post War Streamline design? If latter, it a variant of later Pullman Standard designs (ala' the huge order of C&O Cars)?

So, which is it? A very attractive handling of paint and graphics, in any case.

BTW. Has Microscale suddenly become more active with its Trucking decal sets? Recent messages display some added, widely  
known trucking line names. All this time, tho, it has had the classic N A V A J O decals...

...........................Vern...........................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
TAB
Historian

« Reply #289 on: Mar 3rd, 2014, 10:31pm »

Hello Vern...when it ran from 1929-1941, the CNJ’s ‘Blue Comet’ consisted of all heavy weight equipment. The cars had dark blue roofs and lighter blue sides with a cream colored window panel. This model is reminiscent of the Budd built, partially fluted lightweight, former C&O equipment that the Baltimore & Ohio used on its ‘Capitol Limited’. Other than the window panel, my color scheme is similar to the B&O's as well which could be appropriate since the B&O was CNJ’s parent company.  I don’t think Model Power had any particular Pullman configuration in mind for the model let alone a specific prototype. Based on the window arrangement on the opposite side the model would probably translate to a 4-10 (roomette/bedroom) although I doubt if such a floor plan ever existed.....Tom

« Last Edit: Mar 3rd, 2014, 10:37pm by TAB » Logged

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #290 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 2:38pm »

Tom - All -  

Looked back at my message (above), and perhaps Floor Plan of DR, BR, 12S not a good guess.

A problem here is the Car displays square sash, spacings consistent with the older Pullman 'heavyweight' designs.  
Recall, last of the classic designs ended ca. 1933. A notable last of the designs with the GEORGE M. PULLMAN.  
Its build relied heavily on use of aluminum, and roller bearing trucks. (In a six decades back, Lucius Beebe work.)

So, yes, the Car you display reminds of a modernized 'heavyweight'. With the later Cars, built to streamline designs,  
the later work used larger windows, which had rounded corners, and with a stainless steel (or nickel) narrow sash  
trim around the glazing.

The panel of 'fluted' (corrugated) metal below the windows? It reminds of Pullman Standard build, not Budd. The latter  
sold buyers on its all stainless steel concept, and its use of 'fluted' material on near all surfaces, including roofs. The
Pullman build Cars, compare, used aluminum. It largely ornamental, and did not add to structural integrity of the Cars.

So, the replica you have here has me a bit perplexed. Is there a Photo somewhere which depicts the starting point Car  
which you have used here?

This may be of related interest...
http://www.museumoftheamericanrailroad.org/Exhibits/PullmanCollection.aspx

.......................Vern......................

Ticket Agent serving...Pacific Stage Lines...Washington State System...Mt. Hood Stages...Pickwick Stages...Transcontinental & Western Air Lines.... Admitted Gold Bug..... Observant Orthodox Mossback..... H.M.R.A.O. Curmudgeons......
TAB
Historian
  Streamline_Blue_Comet_Prototype_small_002.jpg - 77300 Bytes
« Reply #291 on: Mar 4th, 2014, 8:54pm »

Hello Vern....the photo below is probably as close to a prototype as can be expected. This one is a former C&O 6 bedroom/10 roomette sleeper. It is however a Pullman Standard built car. The photo is from the book The American Railroad Passenger Car by John H. White Jr. Model Power, manufacturer of the car I used as my starting point, was not known for its attention to fidelity. The corrugations on the roof tag the model as a Budd built product. When I do these fantasy renditions, the existence of an actual prototype is of little importance to me. What did matter was that the general appearance of the car was close to those used by the B&O. As parent to the CNJ, this relationship could have be an influence if the Jersey Central were to ever had pursued the introduction of a streamlined 'Blue Comet'....Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Streamline_Blue_Comet_Prototype_small_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 4th, 2014, 11:02pm by TAB » Logged

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #292 on: Mar 5th, 2014, 6:56am »

Tom - All -  

Thanks! Beats me what you used as starting point! Present Model Power site offers a list, for the most part, of classic  
ESPEE Harriman Cars, at 67' OAL dim. The set of production dies, used for it seems like forever, by Athearn or MDC.  
The reliable line of full length - ca. 80' OAL - in the old AHM items. (Most were Rivarossi?)
http://www.modelpower.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=99903

From your report, apparently a replica based on an 80' OAL Postwar type? Noted yours has a vestibule at one end only...

Else, no problem at all with your writer about this superb speculative Car which did not happen. It also makes the point  
the CNJ, factually, was something of an alter ego of Baltimore based B & O. In the history, B & O with long enthusiasm  
for complete 'stream styling' of older, classic heavyweight Cars. In the era, its Mount Clare Shops delivered large numbers  
of re-builds.

Bottom Line: In your Photo, great looking replica of a CNJ possibility...

.......................Vern.........................

TAB
Historian
  Model_Power_Budd_Coach.jpg - 95268 Bytes
« Reply #293 on: Mar 5th, 2014, 5:43pm »

Hello Vern.....I'm using Model Power cars similar to the one pictured below. These haven't been available for a few years and are not currently in production.  As shown in your link, Model Power is currently pushing out a lot of the Harriman style cars....they seem to go through cycles. I inventoried a lot of the streamliners when I had the shop and kept a supply for projects like the one now under way. This one is destined for disassembly and then the stripper. I’ll take it down to the plastic and then do the re-paint.....Tom

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Model_Power_Budd_Coach.jpg
Click Image to Resize

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #294 on: Mar 6th, 2014, 7:45am »

Tom - All -  

Thanks! The graphic of the Model Power, Budd Car replica reconciles all of it. The PRR Car, marked as a Parlor, recalls  
Bad, Old Days on the NEC! Rather wish I had acquired an entire train of them to represent, say, PRR SENATOR...

In your earlier graphic, of possible CNJ BLUE COMET? Your writer could not discern exactly what shown. Uncertain  
whether a, lower OAH, Lightweight. And, could not spot the signature Budd roof.

Maintenance note of the real thing, now six decades back? It was rare to see paint on much of the major carbody areas.  
Budd had position it was not needed, though there were some exceptions (example, PRR SOUTH WIND). An old story  
around that, at the time, it was difficult to locate a practical good primer paint coat, which had longer lasting performance.
Compare, and recall the sparse, all polished metal look of CB&Q and SFE equipment...

.........................Vern.....................

TAB
Historian

« Reply #295 on: Mar 9th, 2014, 9:40pm »

.....here's a view of the corridor side. This is as far as I can go till Microscale finishes the decals...that will take about a month....Tom

« Last Edit: Mar 9th, 2014, 11:33pm by TAB » Logged

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #296 on: Mar 10th, 2014, 7:16am »

Tom - All -

Thanks! That being so, then the Car represents an 11R floor plan? That is about what it appears to be?

.................................Vern..........................

TAB
Historian

« Reply #297 on: Mar 10th, 2014, 9:04pm »

Hello Vern....this would be the floor plan.....Tom

HwyHaulier
Historian

« Reply #298 on: Mar 11th, 2014, 7:24am »

Tom - All -  

WHOA! How did you ever locate the Diagram? So, am I reading it right? Suggests 5BR/ 4R? Good Floor Plan,  
and would have worked well on long haul schedules. (Else, too, Florida Trains, CB&Q, ATSF, Et Al.?)  

.........................Vern.......................

TAB
Historian

« Reply #299 on: Mar 11th, 2014, 12:16pm »

Hello Vern.....it's a Photo Shop cut 'n paste. I found a diagram with the necessary facilities present, copied the image and then loaded it into Photo Shop. Once there I removed, duplicated, rotated and reattached components as necessary to produce the plan. I doubt if this exact floor layout ever existed in the real world but on my planet of 'what if' rail equipment any thing is possible......Tom

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »