Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 10:50pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

what do you do in HO scale?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   what do you do in HO scale?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: what do you do in HO scale?  (Read 11767 times)
nyshortline
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: what do you do in HO scale?
  Liberty_Liner_resized.jpg - 14633 Bytes
« Reply #180 on: Jul 24th, 2011, 2:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My HO scale Red Arrow Liberty Liner.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Liberty_Liner_resized.jpg
Click Image to Resize

petey
Former Member

« Reply #181 on: Jul 24th, 2011, 3:13pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Nice Liberty Liner.

nyshortline
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #182 on: Jul 24th, 2011, 8:38pm »

Thanks.  I also got 4 P&W Bullets to go with it.

nyshortline
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #183 on: Sep 3rd, 2011, 12:49pm »

Watch this, one would never expect to see this in real life.  The things you can do with model RR'ing!!  Enjoy.

http://youtu.be/t4uLxODNSIU

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #184 on: Sep 18th, 2011, 9:48pm »

Long time no post......

I've finally resolved the problems referred to in last post about insulation board.  A couple more pieces of bracing and the test fitting will be done.  Then it's on to the other side of the bridges.  I'm going to redo that section to match the other for construction technique; it will also let me fit the bridges better.

Photos will follow when I have some roadbed and track down.

I've also determined that I need to move a power supply and do some rewiring to make the layout easier to use to in the small yard area.

photoman475
Historian
  HO_3-1.jpg - 63330 Bytes
« Reply #185 on: Oct 30th, 2011, 10:03am »

Ok, here's a post to show I finally have done some work....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/HO_3-1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

petey
Former Member

« Reply #186 on: Oct 30th, 2011, 1:45pm »

I love it, it's green, and I especially like the track angle, just behind the caboose.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #187 on: Nov 2nd, 2011, 9:08am »

Petey:

It's my new featured area of the layout.  I'm calling it Ski Jump Railroading!  I'm working out the details of how to land the trains on the rails now.....ready to roll, and in one piece....

There is a small problem with the "fact" that locos seem to "weigh" more than the cars do....and then there is the "small" matter the crew....

Details, details, details....

Alan

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #188 on: Nov 9th, 2011, 7:57am »

on Oct 30th, 2011, 10:03am, photoman475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Ok, here's a post to show I finally have done some work....

Alan ; You may have something there. A melding of roller coasters with a Evil Kenievel touch. Will the trains be jumping Busses? You may be a trendsetter. Keeps us informed as to how it develops. Shouldn't there be more of a straight track to land on. The curve will be much more challenging.  
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #189 on: Nov 9th, 2011, 9:25am »

Frank:

I've been deep in consultation with the family authority on roller coasters.  He's proposed cutting in a canyon to make the effect more spectacular!

His suggestion is to fill the canyon with scrapped GE locos, since he believes EMD is better.  

But, as I've had to point out to him, what sort of trackage can you expect from a railroad named the Bankrupt Lines?

Alan

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #190 on: Nov 10th, 2011, 7:42am »

Alan ; Goodmorning.
 You have some serious issues confronting you. Important decisions must be made.  The Bankrupt Lines board of directors will have to have a special EMERGENCY !! meeting. These problems have to be Ironed out so proper operation of the railroad can commence. Good luck in your endeavors. I'll be watching from afar.
 frank
 High Mucky-Muck at the " Pennsylvania Great Western " Frankford Branch.

« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2011, 7:46am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Nov 18th, 2011, 10:16pm »

Yes, agreed, some very serious problems need to be addressed.  Such as: How deep should the canyon be?  How many GEs does it take to fill a canyon?  Crushed GEs or just pieces from the scrap yard, all piled up?  

The emergency meeting will be scheduled as soon as the Bankrupt Lines's treasurer, I.M. "Plenty" Cheep, decides funding is available to pay for a meeting room in some exotic location.  He's thinking that Zap, North Dakota, qualifies.

The Chief Mechanical Officer, Steam N. "Smokin" Diesel, believes he could easily fill the canyon if he could include all of the Bankrupt Lines's dead motive power.  He has a long list of Alcos and FMs he'd like to include, but Cheep won't sell them just yet.  He keeps saying that scrap prices need to go up just a little bit more; "just keep chewing the bubble gum and using baling wire" to repair those locos in the meantime.

Have a good one.

petey
Former Member

« Reply #192 on: Nov 19th, 2011, 9:05am »

Alan,
It's refreshing to see a little lighthearted attitude toward, and applied, to the hobby.

It's surprising to experience how serious some modelers are about it, and how insistant they are that you adhere to their standards. People who have no monetary interest in your layout and equipment, are very verbal about what you should do to, properly enjoy the hobby  The often quoted adage, to the effect that, 'it's your railroad, you run it as you like', is not practiced by these 'serious' modelers.  

Good luck with the layout.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #193 on: Nov 20th, 2011, 4:16pm »

Thanks Petey, for your kind comments.

I think it's a big part of the hobby to have fun.  I'm playing around with some ideas for a Bankrupt Lines timetable which would a few fun rules in there, along with some interesting industrial and junction names on the layout.  

There will be a few serious ones, such as a junction named for the previous owner of the layout, a retired BN/NP station agent/tower operator/relief dispatcher, and a diner named after his wife.  It might become a dining car name instead; that one I haven't decided on yet.

The whole premise of my Bankrupt Lines is entirely plausible, however.  Take all the bankrupt Northeastern lines, toss in the Milwaukee and Rock Island, and what do you have? A coast-to-coast, integrated railroad system, albeit in financial difficulty.

But who is to say that if the timing of the MILW bankruptcy filing had been sooner, and the Rock shutting down sooner, and the government legislation written a little differently, that Conrail could not have been a that first true U.S. transcontinental railroad?  Heck, toss the Katy into it to if you want.

Now, can you imagine how L. Stanley Crane might have enjoyed taking on that challenge?

Have a good Thansgiving and Merry Christmas to all!

Alan

photoman475
Historian
  model_rr_1.jpg - 59749 Bytes
« Reply #194 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:50pm »

Ok folks, comments on this experiment in progress please:

Photo one in this post is the original, about 40-year-old Life-Like(?) styrofoam "mountains":

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/model_rr_1.jpg
Click Image to Resize

photoman475
Historian
  model_rr_4.jpg - 75426 Bytes
« Reply #195 on: Nov 22nd, 2011, 7:56pm »

Photo 2 is the work in progress.  I am adding lichen and other ground cover to try and imitate a generic Northeastern fall.  The first form is not finished, and there is a fire break already in it.  I'm thinking about some N gauge utility poles, creating a forced perspective, to glue into the fire break, making it a utility right-of-way.  If the completed form is considered successful, there are five more to do.  Comments and suggestions are welcome.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/model_rr_4.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #196 on: Nov 29th, 2011, 10:20pm »

Alan, the Sun reflecting off of those mountain tops is just great. And the realistic trees that are applied are fantastic. I dont have any mountains. Only buildings get in the way to block my view of the trains when they run. So I move the buildings. I love to watch the colorfull cars go by. Unblocked.
frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #197 on: Dec 4th, 2011, 5:07pm »

Frank, Petey & other interested parties:

These "mountains" will be the backdrop for a portion of the layout.  They will be mounted on a platform installed on a ledge that is behind the layout.  So the trains will be running in front of the mountains, and the mountains will serve as a view block for a portion of the wall.  It's not how I'd prefer to do it, but it works for the circumstances I have.  

As with anything else, it's the compromise between what I'd like to have and what can be done given materials, funding and time constraints.  And if I'd known all the things back when I got this layout that I know now, I would have done things a lot differently!  This is why I'm going back and removing the pink insulation board and replacing it with wood, and doing it now before I rewire the layout, which was another discovery from testing trackage after the pink insulation went in.  Then more testing, and if that goes well, the tracks get spiked down and ballasted.  

One more lesson from past layouts is to plan for the future.  As I rebuild, I'm adding switches now for what will appear to be sidings.  But they are not.  If time and funding become available in the future, and additions to the layout can be done, that siding just became a junction!  

This is possible only because the space the layout is in only allows for additions in one place.

Have a good one.

Alan

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #198 on: Dec 8th, 2011, 8:42am »

* Hi again Alan ; I would imagine that the scene has changed by now. The hills must be covered in their fall colors by now. The dead tree in the back cut down by the loggers. And maybe some mountain climbers placed, ascending the great dark gray monolith, seen in photo 2 in the upper right side behind the scissor rock. Ahhh, a scene of true natural tranquility. You will have to build a station there now. To provide access for the little people, to this, the greatest of natural wonders. Maybe get it put into the federal park system of the little peoples country.
frank

« Last Edit: Dec 8th, 2011, 8:45am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #199 on: Dec 10th, 2011, 10:01pm »

Frank & other interested parties:

I thought the concentrated snowpack of Mt. Elmer's was the best.  Kind of an odd shape, I admit, but when it comes to modeling, well, almost anything goes, right?  I thought the blue snow coloring on Mt. Elmer's was also a nice touch.  And that orange tip really highlights the fall colors!

I'm not sure about national park status yet.  That would require both parties in Congress to agree on that, and right now I'm not sure they would.  About the only thing they can agree on now is the "necessity" for themselves to be re-elected to office "for the national good."  But enough on politics.

As far as the dead trees go, there has to be a logging contract let so they can be "properly" removed.  Plus I would need to acquire some monster Peterbuilts to haul the logs out and build a road to do so.  Otherwise, I'd have to get some geared locos and enter the narrow gauge logging business.  And I am not sure I.M. "Plenty" Cheep would approve of the AFEs for such a project!

I did think the Ott-Lite Monolith also referred to was a nice addition to the scene.  It did do quite a bit to provide some contrast and lighten up that particular spot.  I am afraid to have mountain climbers go anywhere near the Scissors Rock-could be a liablity problem if they fell off and landed in Sharp Points Canyon (not pictured).

Any suggestions for how to further improve the scenery will be taken up by the Scenery Sub-Sub-Committee of the Buildings & Grounds Sub-Committee of the Whole of the Executive Board of the Bored, Directors of; at their next scheduled meeting!  Please submit your suggestions on the back of this page at your earliest convenience.

Thank you.

Alan

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »