Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 26th, 2017, 7:03am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

what do you do in HO scale?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
   what do you do in HO scale?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: what do you do in HO scale?  (Read 11762 times)
alvintrain
Enthusiast
Re: what do you do in HO scale?

« Reply #140 on: Dec 13th, 2009, 4:54pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

I model the Reading Railroad from 1945-1976. My main layout is 16ft by 6ft and my yard, locomotive servicing/ shop is 16ft by 5ft. I dont model after the real railroad in most places on my layout track wise but locomotives and cars I do.  
As of 12-13-09 My locomotive roster...

Steam:

RDG T1 4-8-4 2102 PCM
RDG T1 4-8-4 Unlettered PCM
RDG T1 4-8-4 2113 PCM

Diesel:

RDG GP35 3629 Athearn  
RDG GP35 3655 Athearn
RDG SD45 7600 Athearn
RDG SD45 7601 Athearn
RDG GP40-2 3672 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG GP40-2 3673 Athearn
RDG GP39-2 3412 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG GP39-2 3413 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG F7A 269 Athearn
RDG F7A 270 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG F7A 280 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG F7B 269 Athearn
RDG F7B 270 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG SW1500 2763 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG NW2 103 Athearn Custom Paint
RDG GP7 607 Proto 1000
RDG GP7 602 Proto 1000
RDG FA1 301 Proto 1000
RDG FB1 301 Proto 1000
RDG S1 50 Proto 1000
RDG S1 53 Proto 1000
RDG C424 5201 Atlas
RDG C424 5207 Atlas
RDG RS3 445 Atlas
RDG RS3 449 Atlas
RDG Trainmaster 801 Atlas
RDG GP30 5516 Bachmann  
RDG GP30 5518 Bachmann

RDG RDC 9166 and 9168 Proto 1000

alvintrain
Enthusiast

« Reply #141 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 8:59am »

Here are a few videos from my H.O Layout. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlsEB-b9Fu4   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YybJw2-WYp0  

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #142 on: Apr 7th, 2010, 10:20am »

Nice big basement. Great running layout.

Dyed in the wool PRR fan.
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #143 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 7:35am »

on Apr 7th, 2010, 8:59am, alvintrain wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here are a few videos from my H.O Layout.

Very nice videos. Your layout resembles my old basement layout.  I also enjoy running my trains. My layout is in my attic now. Being from Bayonne I model the Reading along with the CNJ amd B&O. They all shared the same 4 track mainline through town to Communipaw. I like the big trains I saw you run.  keep it up.
   Frank

« Last Edit: Aug 9th, 2010, 7:36am by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P6240004_2.jpg - 92280 Bytes
« Reply #144 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 8:04am »

*  My attic layout is hard to use in this recent 100 deg weather. Today is just un the 80s right now. I just have two main lines circling the layout. Because of the attic location it is against a wall on two sides. The center is open for access I made a hinged down track section and a lift out piece for layout continuity. I put in a roundhouse turntable on one end, and a yard and engine service area along the roof pitch wall. Frankford  occupies the other two sides. On a small extension into a corner is Stevensville.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P6240004_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

P6240006_2.jpg - 90213 Bytes
« Reply #145 on: Aug 9th, 2010, 8:07am »

* Here is the engine service and storage end of the layout. This layout is just for running trains and storing locos on the layout.
  frank

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/P6240006_2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
alvintrain
Enthusiast

« Reply #146 on: Aug 10th, 2010, 6:08pm »

Here is a newer video of my layout. Alot is in the works and i hope to get more things finished as soon as possible. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWMQloNOqOc

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #147 on: Aug 10th, 2010, 7:13pm »

Really nice. You might just want to add a little something I added to my layout to prevent the engines and rolling stock from falling off the table on to the floor with disastrous results. I added a strip of plastic as a barrier, just high enough to stop an engine or car from falling off the table. My strips are about a foot long, two to three inches high, and about a sixteenth inch thick. They are of vinyl. Should there be a derailment or accident, the strip will keep the rolling stock from a nasty fall.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #148 on: Aug 10th, 2010, 8:45pm »

I daresay, old chap, that the British do appear to be invading.....

But on a serious level, all that steam is wonderful.  I agree with the previous post about preventing accidents-this equipment just costs too much today to take a chance when it's easily prevented.

To satisfy my curiousity, about how much space does the entire roundhouse area take up?  

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #149 on: Aug 25th, 2010, 10:25pm »

[quote author=photoman 475

To satisfy my curiousity, about how much space does the entire roundhouse area take up?  

[/quote]
 Alan: If this is directed to me, 63" track to track left to right. from a point center in 63 to track 39".
  frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #150 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 12:05pm »

Thanks Frank-in the future I'm planning an addition that requires a yard and enginehouse-and what you have there is similar to what I have in mind.

Alan

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #151 on: Aug 26th, 2010, 12:44pm »

Sounds great. That prompts the question, do you make additions/ deletions to your layout based upon your running the layout and seeing possible changes/ improvements for running the trains, or making up the trains ? I wound up putting in a small engine yard in a corner when changing engines in the area became a hassle.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #152 on: Aug 28th, 2010, 1:39pm »

on Aug 26th, 2010, 12:44pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Sounds great. That prompts the question, do you make additions/ deletions to your layout based upon your running the layout and seeing possible changes/ improvements for running the trains, or making up the trains ? I wound up putting in a small engine yard in a corner when changing engines in the area became a hassle.

* I'll be 65 in a few months, and built and ran many layouts. One thing is verrrry certain. Nothing on a layout just like on the real thing is cast in stone forever. You my complete a addition one day. The next be at a train show. There see someting on a table. Look in your wallet. The light comes one in your head. Vision, ideas flow in a second. A purchase is made and once home. On the same day start making changs in what was finished yesterday
* On making up trains. I look to the right side. I close my eyes and think about and useing my trains. I views yards, sideings, service areas, all siens. I see trains running. I like this. Once I looked to the left. I closed my eyes and thought about  making and breaking up trains in the yard. I thought about a short freight stoping at a sideing. the breakman cuting the train open. The engineer pulling up clear of the switch. The breakmann throwing the switch. The engineer backing up to the 2 reefers on the sideing and pulling them out. Then backing up, reconnecting to his train, with the breakmann cuting it open again with 2 full reefers now on the rear to deliver to this sideing. It reminds me of work, not play. I only look to the right now.

frank.  

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2010, 2:00pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #153 on: Aug 28th, 2010, 2:05pm »

Great !!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice to see you aren't stuck in the mud.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #154 on: Sep 4th, 2010, 9:53pm »

on Aug 28th, 2010, 2:05pm, Pennsy wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Great !!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice to see you aren't stuck in the mud.

Hey Pennsy, I think I am stuck in the mud. I am very set in my ways. I do things in a old way, with old things. I like my old trains. I have newer ones, but I have a lot of old ones. I am just glad that the castings have not failed on most of them. I wish my old, new one CNJ 4-6-0 camelbacks and Reading 4-2-2 Bicycles were still running. They fell apart. I'll keep plodding along. Maybe do something silly like double heading Gilbert Hudson's to pull a freight train.
C U Later
 frank

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #155 on: Sep 4th, 2010, 10:26pm »

Just as bad as you are. My Schwinn Black Panther is in perfect running condition. All I have to do is top off the tire air pressure and I'm gone.

toptrain
Historian
View Profile  

HOScale/P9150006_-_Copy.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #156 on: Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:11pm »

There are times when I bring out my English trains and run them on my New Jersey layout. I like the colors. Here you see a Triang Royal Princess. A Hornby A4 seagull, and a Triang Canadian Pacific loco.

« Last Edit: Sep 23rd, 2010, 8:12pm by toptrain » Logged

toptrain
" Its A Heck of A Day "
photoman475
Historian

« Reply #157 on: Sep 24th, 2010, 8:59am »

Pennsy:

As for additions to the layout, it's been part of a longer range plan since I got the layout.  My layout came from an estate, and I have been s-l-o-w-l-y rebuilding it to fit the space available.  The original home the layout was in required a narrower layout.  My space is wider, so the layout has been expanded to fit the space.

The first addition will accomodate a yard, which is currently lacking on the original layout.  I'm planning on a 6-to-8 foot long addition, about 24 inches wide, possible a little wider.  This will be the primary yard on the layout.  An engine servicing facility will be part of it, with some steam era "artifacts" showing up.  Because of where it will be located in the basement, at least one hidden track, maybe two, will be available to store trains for staging.  I was able to add one track for hidden staging when I rebuilt the north side, which did not exist before.

Currently the layout is 11x11; the yard addition would add one leg.  When built, the north side would become 11x17 or 11x19.  

A second addition, if funds can be found, would more than double the size of the layout's length on both the north and south sides, to about 11x26.  This would allow me to add an ore/coal dock on the south side.

The layout is "proto-lanced".  The railroads are Anthracite, the scenery will be generic Northeast Pennsyvania, moving coal from the coal branch to (hopefully) tidewater.  The railroads will be true-equipment will be lettered and numbered properly for the equipment actually used by each road.

Gotta run-more later!

Alan  

Pennsy
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #158 on: Sep 24th, 2010, 10:31am »

Was the original layout owner a good friend? I inherited a layout from a good friend upon his passing, from his wife. It was quite an honor and I did my best to preserve his "ideas" on that portion of my new layout. The extra engines and rolling stock were welcome additions as well.

photoman475
Historian

« Reply #159 on: Sep 24th, 2010, 3:30pm »

Pennsy:

He was sort of the grandfather I never had.  There is a portion of the layout that is untouched and original; the track only needed ballast.

The basic idea of the layout is the same, a double track main line on the lower level, and a single track branch line on a slightly elevated level.  My biggest change was to change the layout's shape from rectangular to square, which made the layout larger.  Squaring off the layout means that the upper level single track line-my coal branch-will be about doubled in length when I get that far in track laying.

His widow saw the layout after it was reconfigured, and I explained why it was expanded-basically, I had the space to do it in that had not existed before when it was in their house.  She was quite happy to see the layout up and being restored.  And for that I am grateful-she was happy to see the layout getting put to use.

I didn't get his locos or cars, just the track and power packs.  I have more than enough equipment, so while having his steam locos would have been nice, I did get the important "stuff".  Because he developed a very bad case of arthritis, very little scenery was finished.  And for getting the layout from his widow, I am very grateful.

In enlarging the layout, I had to add a section to square it off.  The original section had the junction for the coal branch to the main line.  I've maintained the junction in that added on section, and expanded it to allow for the future additions.  (Amazing how those sidings all of a sudden aren't sidings anymore....)  Of course, that junction will now require a tower, and the junction will be named for him.  I will be naming something for his wife; I just don't know what yet.

Catcha ya all later.

Alan

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ...  20 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »