Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 28th, 2017, 4:08am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

what do you do in HO scale?
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   HO Scale
(Moderators: Lfire83, Henry, strasburg90)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: what do you do in HO scale?  (Read 11439 times)
green_elite_cab
Historian

« on: Aug 8th, 2004, 5:36pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

i saw this in the n scale forums, so i thought i'd mirror it.   i just like to know what everyone else is doing.

i'm doing anything that ever ran in NJ at anytime, from WW2 up.    i figure thats alows me to run the best of the deisels and electrics, and should i desire steam i can say its an excursion (us younger people have an excuse for everything)

i try to run conrail, and UP.   since NJ has lots of catenary, i'm gonna have all that stuff on my layout,  so those pretty acelas and loved GG-1s will look great.    i'm starting on a 4x8, and branching  off with modules until i invade the entire basement.    

what kind of stuff are you guys doing, for example  era,  railroad, area , you know, whats your railroad about?

i look forward to seeing all of you brag about your layouts  

chris

Virginian
Railfan
Re: what do you do in HO scale?

« Reply #1 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 12:13pm »

End of steam on the N&W and Virginian.  Layout is on hold with basic benchwork and two mainline loops operational.  Been working on rolling stock and motive power.

Chessie4155
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 1:14pm »

Chessie System, St. louis Div., Indiana sub,  1972/1986.

Chessie System Railroads
Purr-Fect transportation
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Picture_004.jpg - 6249 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 3:42pm »

Eastern "hills of Pennsylvania" style single track short line operation with steam and diesel operation with Alco, Baldwin, EMD's, GE's etc.  Can operate in the 50-60's era or modern times. Use a variety of equipment, have access to large PRR collection, my own RDG collection, plus host of other misc equipment such as kitbashed steam, old ambroid B&M coaches (I have about 12 built, 6 in kit form)

Below is my 2-8-0 #40, built from a Bachman 2-6-2/0-6-0 ALCO stlye boiler, Tyco frame and drivers, valve gear etc, Brass Tender and host of detail parts.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Picture_004.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2004, 3:46pm by NHIWW » Logged

J. M. Fusco
Historian
  Copy_of_40newhopestanding_edited.jpg - 56604 Bytes
« Reply #4 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 5:19pm »

Oh wow! My namesake! I would love to see that in G scale! Not to be picky but there are errors with that model. The bell should be infront of the sand dome and the sand dome should be taller and there is only one sand dome. Everything Else looks great!

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Copy_of_40newhopestanding_edited.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2004, 5:23pm by J. M. Fusco » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Picture_005.jpg - 7338 Bytes
« Reply #5 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 7:36pm »

Yeah, I am very aware that the engine is not an exact copy of NH&I 40 and it was not meant to be. It's just something that was done freelance. The drivers for one are way too big as are the cylinders, the tender is too big, there are two sand domes etc.... The Boiler is a copy of #9's- an ALCO. Bachman based their 0-6-0 and 2-6-2 design off the USRA design.

I still say that NH&I should come out with a model of 40 like they originally planned to do back in the 60's. That was the purpose of buying 40 back in 62'.

Another ALCO Below....

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/Picture_005.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2004, 7:39pm by NHIWW » Logged

hudsonelectric
Historian
  104_Side_copy.jpg - 50468 Bytes
« Reply #6 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 8:03pm »

Mid '50s traction railroad, Hudson Electric RR,  extending from Paterson, NJ through to Jersey City, and then across to Trenton and down to Camden. Built to railroad specifications along former trolley ROW during the 20s & 30s. MU passenger service and heavy freight traffic with large on-line industries. Owns and operates several tugs, barges, and carfloats out of both Camden and Jersey City. Wholly owned subsidiary is Camden Terminal & Interchange RR, a large yard that leases storage space to other roads, and has large car repair facility for contract work. Interchanges with PRR, B&O, CNJ, Erie, DL&W, NYC, & NYS&W. Partners with Titan Belt Lines (my friend George's model railroad) in Atlantic Produce Express (APEX) which owns and operates freight reefers with passenger brakes, steam and airlines, and trucks allowing them to be cut onto night trains from Florida, the Carolinas and Virginia/ Maryland with fresh produce and fruit for domestic and export markets shipped via Jersey City or Camden. Trackage rights arrangements with the PRR into Philadelphia for direct connection with TBL. Electric freight motors consist of Baldwin Class D and  and GE 40T units, a couple of S-1 switchers for interchange work, MU passenger equipment, and maybe some big freight motors along the lines of the GE-built New Haven EP-3. Company slogan: Speed...Safety...Service!  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/104_Side_copy.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 24th, 2004, 8:12pm by hudsonelectric » Logged

J. M. Fusco
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 11:31pm »

on Aug 24th, 2004, 7:36pm, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Yeah, I am very aware that the engine is not an exact copy of NH&I 40 and it was not meant to be. It's just something that was done freelance. The drivers for one are way too big as are the cylinders, the tender is too big, there are two sand domes etc.... The Boiler is a copy of #9's- an ALCO. Bachman based their 0-6-0 and 2-6-2 design off the USRA design.

I still say that NH&I should come out with a model of 40 like they originally planned to do back in the 60's. That was the purpose of buying 40 back in 62'.

Another ALCO Below....

Yeah you've got to admit 40's a beutiful engine! I've been wanting a model of her for long time. I model G and imagine #40 in G! That'd be cool!

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #8 on: Sep 13th, 2004, 9:46am »

Sharp Model, Hundsonelec...I have always wanted to aquire some of the smaller electric switchers, but have never gotten around to it.  

A friend of mine In California is working on his model of the Pacific Electric.  He has had me build some of his wooden freight equipment for him...mostly La Belle kits...many kitbashed to his specs.

I like the "Red Cars" myself....classic Interurban.

Rick_F.
TRAINing

« Reply #9 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 6:47pm »

I'm modeling th Erie RR. and the C&O from about 1952 to about 1956.

Modeling The Erie & The C&O
Fred
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 7:25pm »

My Saline, Ann Arbor & Yuma RR  (SAY RR) is based on the Ann Arbor Railroad circa 1964. Like the AA, railroad runs from Toledo, Ohio to Elberta/Franfort, Mi including the ex NYC Saline Branch. Construction began in Oct, 1986 with operation starting up Oct, 1987. I recently have decided to "abandon" this HO layout and concentrate all my time & money on my outdoor garden railroad.

John C. Durant
Former Member

« Reply #11 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 8:06pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Was modeling my own freelanced shortline based on the Jamestown, Westfield and NorthWestern RR, a shortline/interurban that was located in Upstate NY.  
I've since changed the scope, era and location. Now its Conrail 1976-84 and Southwest PA. The Southwest Secondary that ran from Radbaugh to Uniontown, Pa. However by the time that I'm modeling it was cut back to Connellsville.
Coal is the main comodity, but feed, chemicals and lumber are also shipped. There will be a working interchange with The B&O/Chessie at Everson/Scottdale. Conrail and the B&O crossed and interchanged at that location.
Primary Conrail power will be GP40/40-2's and GP38/38-2's.  
The line is now owned by the SouthWest Pennsylvania RR.

BNSFrailfan.

« Reply #12 on: Sep 19th, 2004, 8:23pm »

I model only Kato's(Collect Locomotives Only)
I have these Model's:

Kato.
BN SD70MAC's  
BN 9580.
BN 9615.

Kato.
BNSF SD70MAC's
BNSF 8802.
BNSF 9838.
BNSF 9959.

Kato.
BNSF AC4400CW's
BNSF 5602.
BNSF 5615.
BNSF 5624.

Athearn. (New Locomotive to my Collection)
BNSF SD75M.
BNSF 8213.

End of list.

« Last Edit: Mar 14th, 2005, 10:30pm by BNSF_railfan. » Logged

Allan Love Jr
Young_Rider
Historian
  FromBridge-2.jpg - 39386 Bytes
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22nd, 2004, 2:24am »

I do the DT&I, The Grand Trunk, Chessie System, and Norfolk Southern...with anything else I find attractive thrown in :p. I had a layout back in ohio...and I doubt I'll get to start another til I have my own place. I'm currently living with my boyfriend in Vegas, so there's not a lot of room!

Here's a picture

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/HOScale/FromBridge-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

-Shaun
Las Vegas, NV

DT&I fan!
Visit my myspace page to see more RR photos! www.myspace.com/shaun31us
Passenger_Extra
Historian

« Reply #14 on: Sep 23rd, 2004, 6:23pm »

Early to mid 50's B&O, west end, when there was a nice mix of steam and diesel,
 the main was kept clear ahead of passenger trains,  
   and the word "Timesaver" could turn a weak yardmaster into jello.  

PX

Not good on trains 1, 2, 5, 6, 25 & 26 west of Washington D.C. and trains 27 & 28.
Southern Green
Historian

« Reply #15 on: Sep 26th, 2004, 12:01am »

Im GOING to do a freelance shortline set in the mountains here in NC  that leases NS and CSX power and runs steam powered excursions.  
          Cy

Go Braves!

mlrr
TRAINing

« Reply #16 on: Nov 8th, 2004, 9:57am »

I primarily model Amtrak with a little NJT and MNRR.

Once I move and expand my layout's area, I will heavily invest in freight equipment (Conrail, Norfolk Southern, CSX, BNSF and possibly Union Pacific).

Space is the only thing holding this up.  I intend to model the present for the most part with a small amount of equipment representing equipment that was around when I first got into Model Railroading that is no longer seen in service on the real railroads.

~Kyle
The Mary Lindsay Railroad - Featuring Amtrak Model Trains
www.marylindsayrr.vze.com
Jrisen
TRAINing
  DCP_0007.jpg - 153910 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Nov 16th, 2004, 6:00am »

WCO  

West Central Ohio RR club.

Waiting at the red singnal for an east bound.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (153910 bytes, 1152x864 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DCP_0007.jpg - 153910 Bytes

ATSF_railfan
Chaser

« Reply #18 on: Nov 27th, 2004, 7:05pm »

I'm working on a layout on the ATSF.

The Black River Branch is going to be a fictional, small 1950's-era branch of the Santa Fe. Right now, I have a 2-8-0 and GP7, perfect branchline locos for the ATSF. The BRB will also have access to mainline thoroughfare, so I can let the occasional Super Chief fly through.  

Guys, I hate to say it, but you actually know of New Hope & Ivyland?!

Normally people are so concentrated on Strausburg... (I don't blame them, quite a display!)

I grew up less than a mile away from the NH&I in Bucks County. I lived just outside New Hope. My hometown. What memories. I'll never forget that train. Never.  

That was the source of my first steam-oriented sight, and first cab ride. Gotta love it.  

Long Live #40!  

« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2004, 7:07pm by ATSF_railfan » Logged

Thanks to Amtrak Prototype & Model for GIF's

Also, a large thank you to ErieAtlantic7597 who has done so much for me. Thanks Bruce!
Whiteoaksvet
TRAINing

« Reply #19 on: Dec 11th, 2004, 5:56pm »

The original plan was to model current operations in Northern Illinois-BNSF and UP, including intermodal, coal, mixed freight, and the twice a day Amtrak into and out of Chicago.  I had the benchwork all built and most of the rolling stock aquired in N scale.  About that time, mother nature caught up with me and my eyesight told me that if I wanted to continue in N, I needed longer arms.  So, I sold all of that off and am now starting over with the same idea in HO, except for that pesky curve radius difference.  So the room with 3 sides of benchwork and a peninsula now has 2 duck-unders.  I at least have trains running on a big loop, but the final plan is still up in the air.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  19 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »