Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 27th, 2017, 2:52pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

DAV&P
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   DAV&P
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: DAV&P  (Read 1403 times)
akb1964
TRAINing
DAV&P
  davp_dunkirk_1914.jpg - 61623 Bytes
« on: Jul 12th, 2007, 1:02pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

A friend is looking for more info on the railroad her grandfather worked for:  Dunkirk, Allegany Valley & Pittsburg.

She located this web site:  http://wnyrails.org/railroads/davp/davp_home.htm
 and is looking for any additional info.  She found a photo of a steam locomotive with her grandfather in the background and is also hoping to identify the type of locomotive.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/davp_dunkirk_1914.jpg
Click Image to Resize

pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: DAV&P

« Reply #1 on: Jul 14th, 2007, 8:34am »

There's quite a few sources available online. Among them are wikipedia, and there are a few threads on railroad.net about it too. I live in Warren, and so the DAVP used to run through here. There are numerous traces of it that can be found if you look...and know where to.

Anything specific?

Dave Becker

Moderates: WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
Railfan.net
zx2trainchaser
Chaser

« Reply #2 on: Jul 16th, 2007, 5:52pm »

There is or was a video for sale at the Dunkirk Historical museum of old color movies of the line from the 60's- 70's.  This is during the time the New York Central and later PennCentral operated the line. The video shows operations from Dunkirk to Titusville. There are many cab shots, chases, approach, and passing shots of the trains as well as some flying switches!  I have seen this picture before probably in the Dunkirk Museum.  I have also hiked the old railbed in high school, and college years.

pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Jul 16th, 2007, 8:46pm »

You sure that there's such a video? I've never heard of it, and I'll snatch it up if I can...or will work to find one.

David Becker

Railfan.net
akb1964
TRAINing

« Reply #4 on: Jul 18th, 2007, 6:09pm »

One thing that she would like to do is purchase a G scale or O scale engine.  She realizes that none will have the proper markings.

Can anyone look at the photo and tell us who make the engine and what type it was?

zx2trainchaser
Chaser

« Reply #5 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 9:13pm »

I am positive on the videos existance because my wife bought it for me as a gift.

pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Jul 19th, 2007, 10:27pm »

Another place to list this would be in the New York Central forum(s), since the NYC took over the DAVP in the early 1900's.

David Becker

Railfan.net
Mr. Starr

« Reply #7 on: Jul 29th, 2007, 4:57pm »

Didn't the D. A. V, & P. RR run through GERRY, NY Chatauqua County ? I seem to recall a train station there, also I believe that the Railroad crossed route 60 north and south almost directly but, could be diagonally across from their rodeo/fair grounds. When I last saw this station it was painted in a NYC two tone gray with stripe . †sorry about pics I was age 13 at that time when I saw the building ...

Tom

« Last Edit: Jul 29th, 2007, 4:58pm by Mr. Starr » Logged
zx2trainchaser
Chaser

« Reply #8 on: Jul 31st, 2007, 11:21pm »

You are correct.  The DAV&P did cut across rt 60 At Gerry.  Also the movie on the DAV&P has been put onto DVD format and was for sale at the ALCO Brooks loco display at the Chautauqua Co Fair grounds!

train48
Railfan

« Reply #9 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 10:39am »

Jim_Peters was especially informative when I contacted him, as he workd the line 1946 - 52. He gives his accounts on the NYC

train48
Railfan

« Reply #10 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 10:46am »

Jim_Peters was especially informative when I contacted him, as he workd the line 1946 - 52. He gives his accounts on the NYC thread. Also, I hiked the line from the depot in Fredonia to the gulf bridge near the Darby Switch in 1973 when the tracks were still in. Line may or may not have been OOS at the time. We saw no trains that day. Sorry, no pics.  
    How do I contact Dunkirk Hist . Society for that DVD? Thanks in advance.

phantom
TRAINing

« Reply #11 on: Aug 3rd, 2007, 1:21pm »

Hello folks.  

I was contacted a bought the elusive DAV&P Video. So I called some of my Friends at the Dunkirk Historical Societies. Funny thing at 2:00 PM. in the afternoon they are all at work. But when they get back to me Iíll post the information on how to get the DAV&P Video.  I will give you a tid bit, there will be a new one coming out next year. It will compare know pictures and places on the DAV&P and show whatís left today. Thatís my winter project.  

Iíd be happy to answer any question you might have a bought the DAV&P . My specialty is the portion of the line that ran from Dunkirk NY. to Falconer NY.

You can also visit my web site at: www.eclipseauctions.us/davp

Thanks, Phantom ( Sean P. Moore )

AKA: Slee the Sloth on Sloth Radio @ www.slothradionetwork.us

Sean Moore

Dunkirk Allegany Valley & Pittsburgh in G scale.
http://www.eclipseauctions.us/davp/
pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Aug 5th, 2007, 2:14pm »

Thought you might like to know that there's some more trackage left in Warren, PA.

Dave Becker

Railfan.net
phantom
TRAINing

« Reply #13 on: Aug 5th, 2007, 4:24pm »

To order your copy of the DAV&P video on VHS or DVD please send $20 USD + shipping to :

Shipping on DVD $ 3.00

Shipping on VHS $ 5.00

Dunkirk Historic Society  
 515 Washington Ave.
 Dunkirk NY. 14048

Sean Moore

Dunkirk Allegany Valley & Pittsburgh in G scale.
http://www.eclipseauctions.us/davp/
Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #14 on: Aug 5th, 2007, 8:12pm »

I haven't ventured into this forum for a while, it appears that I've missed an interesting discussion. I grew up in Sugar Grove, Warren County, PA-about 11 miles from Youngsville. Youngsville was the point where the DAV&P crossed over the PRR and headed south to Titusville. Before PA Route 6 was widened in the early 1960's, one could see the embankment where the DAV&P grade rose, parallel to the PRR, to an elevated crossing. This is about where "Railroad Street" in Youngsville is today. The line south of Warren was torn up in the early 1960's, I forget the exact year.

I have the DAV&P video as well. I don't recall the title at the moment, I'd have to dig it out of my collection of tapes.

Here's a link to a photos of a shortline that connected to the DAV&P in Youngsville, originally the "Youngsville & Sugar Grove Street Railway". I'd love to see photos of the DAV&P depot, on Oak Street in Youngsville, if anyone has any they could post.

http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=fallenshorts;action=display;num=1178290013

« Last Edit: Aug 5th, 2007, 9:39pm by Aa3rt » Logged
pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #15 on: Aug 5th, 2007, 9:47pm »

You can still make out some of the former DAVP in places where the wider 6 hasn't obliterated it, and this includes in and around Youngsville.

Dave Becker

Railfan.net
train48
Railfan

« Reply #16 on: Aug 6th, 2007, 7:22am »

akb1964: try http://www.nycrrmuseum.org/ to find out what type of locomotive the 2195 is. I'm no expert on steam but it appears to be a 10 - wheeler. 1919 seems kinda late in history for that type of power to be active. Thanks for the DVD info, phantom!

Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

DAVPTICK.jpg - 18668 Bytes
« Reply #17 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:47am »

A souvenir ticket (coupon) from the 5th annual "Russell H. Shapely Memorial Autumn Leaf Excursion" which ran from Rochester to Titusville, via Buffalo and Dunkirk, and then over the entire DAV&P and return, on Sunday, October 14, 1951, sponsored by the National Railway Historical Society.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/DAVPTICK.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:51am by Aa3rt » Logged
Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

DAVPITIN.jpg - 291441 Bytes
« Reply #18 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:48am »

The trip itinerary (SP?) for the trip mentioned above.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (1187x1564, 291441 bytes)

Click Here to View Image DAVPITIN.jpg - 291441 Bytes

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007, 10:54am by Aa3rt » Logged
Aa3rt
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

DAVP.jpg - 24471 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:54pm »

From an eBay auction, here's a view of the Forest Furniture Manufacturing Company in Youngsville, PA. This view is facing east towards Irvine and Warren. That's the old PRR line heading to Corry on the left, with the DAV&P crossover in the background. This is where the DAV&P started heading towards Titusville.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/DAVP.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Sep 3rd, 2007, 3:57pm by Aa3rt » Logged
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »