Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Mar 28th, 2017, 3:45pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

RJ Corman
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   RJ Corman
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: RJ Corman  (Read 1750 times)
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

RJ Corman

« on: Nov 6th, 2006, 7:04pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well you can call me a insider on RJ Corman. So lets get some talks started. Railroad, derailment service etc.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

Re: RJ Corman

« Reply #1 on: Dec 10th, 2006, 5:55pm »

Nice to see that Corman(Allentown Lines) put no trespassing signs up near the end of their one line in West Catasauqua. Good to see some life be put back into that part of their track. Even though they haven't made a profit off any of the track in Whitehall(West Catty and Fullerton) since 99'. In the summer of 03', gons were up at the end to pick up scrap ties and other junk and i think a railcrane may have been up there recently. On Saturday the 9th of Dec. 06' i seen a Corman railcrane doing work on the line b/t e. penn junction and their Linden St. Yard. And i think it was cutting shrubs and on the line going up to west catty, many small trees have been cut. Once again it's good to see the Allentown Lines putting those no trespassing signs up as it shows they haven't forgotten about the line. Though i noticed that the former LV station nearby has been torn down. What  a shame, whoever has been in charge of something on the old Tarkett grounds was in charge of that and not Corman. Does anyone know if the Allentown Lines got a new customer as they are getting in 60 ft. boxcars now of NS and Southerns(NS). And one of them had it's doors open and it looked like bricks were inside.

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #2 on: Dec 13th, 2006, 7:29pm »

Corman did finally get some ROW work done. Brush cutter will make things a little better for the crew! The old station was taken down by the city! Did you vote for the mayor? ha ha and the bricks. last time I was there they had bricks, dont know what for.

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 17th, 2006, 5:00pm »

thanks for the update, figures Whitehall was responsible for the old station knockdown.

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 19th, 2006, 10:15pm »

Go to Thurmond WV. This is in the New River Gorge.... 2.8% grades, winding track. A short line but action packed and beautifull

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #5 on: Dec 23rd, 2006, 11:17am »

So the rail crane went up as far as Tarkett @ the end of track?  I heard one of the two Allentown Lines GP16's is now a R/C unit...

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 11:32am »

Unless it came and went without me knowing there wasnt a railcrane in Allentown. It was a big *#@ brushcutter. The line was grown in big time so they finally got out to clean up. Yes one of the two units is a remote. The reason they have two units is for road crossings. The power isnt needed to move product just to protect the public. Now that is a stance on safety.

NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 2:55pm »

towny thanks for the info.  Do you have any advice trying to catch the Allentown Line in action? If you look in the older topic about it you can see I have only saw them working once, and they never left the Linden St. Yard, just switching cars around.

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24th, 2006, 6:28pm »

you can usually catch them in the yard during the day monday through friday, a brushcutter is what i saw. Thanks for clearing(no pun intended) that up.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 25th, 2006, 12:01am »

Its hard to catch him out of the yard, since the majority of the opps are in the yard. They pick up cars from NS every few days on the old EL. They take 1 tank car or so a week up the line through town and thats about it. Most of the Allentown line customers come right into the Corman yard to pick up via rail to road. Fruit seller, newsprint, and lub oil are all taken from rolling stock to truck there in the yard. The Allentown line a really really short line. Its a shame the cement plant didnt conect with them.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Apr 11th, 2007, 10:05pm »

word is steam from china is coming to RJC

Mike Derrick
TRAINing

« Reply #11 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 8:21pm »

on Dec 19th, 2006, 10:15pm, towny72 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Go to Thurmond WV. This is in the New River Gorge.... 2.8% grades, winding track. A short line but action packed and beautifull

Towny, how often are they working on this line now?  The GP mill was giving the WV Southern about 3 days a week worth of work, but how has the coal loadout now boosted traffic?  This is the RJC operation that is on the top of my list, but generally have no idea how much they are running or when.  I'd be interested in whatever is using RJC power, even if pushing CSX.

Thanks!

Mike Derrick
www.shortlinesusa.com

Mike Derrick
http://www.shortlinesusa.com
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #12 on: Apr 12th, 2007, 9:15pm »

Well coal is around 3 trains a week, but with the long turn around time of 18hrs or more coal runs about 5 days a week. GP I would say 2 to 3 times a week. No set sched. For such a short line it opperates more like 300miles of line. There is 3 tunnels on the Mountain now so lots of red to see!

CapnTomDrums

« Reply #13 on: May 24th, 2007, 8:05am »

According to the Trains website Corman bought a Chinese 2-10-2 to be used in Kentucky.

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."
Samuel Adams
towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 10:52am »

Reported late summer we should be expecting the steamer! All the way from China,

caseyjones1533
Enthusiast

« Reply #15 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 2:09pm »

How bout all the way from Iowa...

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Jul 8th, 2007, 6:59pm »

no this is not the units from Iowa, this going to be a rebuilt unit from china...it is in china being rebuilt under contract. Iowa Interstate will be keeping its 2 steamers for now

csxt123
TRAINing

« Reply #17 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 6:18pm »

I was wondering if you know any info on the Memphis line SE of Guthrie. In particular, the operations to Cumberland City TN. I'll be in this area in a couple weeks and would love to add RJCorman to my list of RRs seen.  
            Thanks, Mike Parker
                Morriston FL  

Alco1254
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #18 on: Jan 1st, 2010, 10:12pm »

Any info on the Allentown operations would be greatly appreciated. I am attempting to do an HO layout with RJC on one side & the NS Lehigh Line on the other side. Trying to figure out how to build a river. lol. Has there been or will there be any action on the old line that runs up to rt.22? Its a shame to see it basicaly abandon,although not officialy. I did notice it was recently cleared & posted for trespassing. I dream one day that I will one day have tracks running pat my house in Coplay. Wishful thinking I guess.

customtrains
TRAINing

« Reply #19 on: Feb 9th, 2010, 6:47pm »

Here is a drawing I did of a RJ Corman GP38

Andy

Pages: 1 2  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »