Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 24th, 2017, 3:07pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Seminole Gulf
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Seminole Gulf
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Seminole Gulf  (Read 1902 times)
BillD53A

Seminole Gulf

« on: Sep 22nd, 2006, 5:00am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Seminole Gulf is leasing two GE B39-8's as part of a lease-to-buy deal.  They are RLCX 8515 and 8598, and arrived on the property on Wednesday.

Bachmann makes Atlas
BillD53A

Re: Seminole Gulf

« Reply #1 on: Sep 27th, 2006, 9:06am »

8515 and 8598 arrived on the SGLR on Sept 20.  They made their first run on Sept 22.  On Sept 25 they overturned a rail, derailing 5 cars and shutting down the CSX interchange.  Dont know if it has been opened yet.

Bachmann makes Atlas
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #2 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 10:38am »

Gee, you think they will buy them?

BillD53A

« Reply #3 on: Sep 28th, 2006, 11:05am »

Actually from what I understand the employees like them.  Of course they only have 1 loco on the roster that is halfway dependable, and that one is iffy.  Last Sunday the engineer was starting one of the newest GP9s for the dinner train and it put a piston through the engine block.   Its getting hard to find parts to keep those old geeps going.

Bachmann makes Atlas
B+MNW21201
Former Member

« Reply #4 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 9:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

well, it will be nice to see something different on the rails around Ft. Myers. I have a photo of one of the GP9 when they first got it in the old Chessie colors. Since then it has gotten kind of boring for rail fans.

Hand_Brake_Applied
Banned User
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #5 on: Jan 18th, 2007, 9:44pm »

I was down there last November.I have to say in my opinion those office people are about the most miserable people i ever run across.I talked about one of the positions available.........12/hr for a conductor.....14?hr for engineer!this,in one of the fastest growing areas in the country.A buddy who works for CSX told me to stay away from them and i have to agree..junk power/bad track no money.Does anyone here know how long an employee lasts there?Seems that they need help an awful lot.

Terror must be maintained or the empire is doomed.
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 16th, 2007, 3:44pm »

Yah, they don't seem to like to work with Railroad Museums.  They've been replacing the tracks up at tuckers grade lately, somehow derails happen when they are around.

Dean
BillD53A

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 1:32pm »

Seminole Gulf is replacing several grade crossings in Charlotte County.  Part of their annual trackwork.  
Alco C425 #550 is handling the ArtTrain , which was in Bonita Springs last week and is being moved to Punta Gorda today.

Bachmann makes Atlas
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 2:45pm »

Friends,

I do believe a few little facts have been forgotten about in regards to the  
Seminole Gulf Railway. I can only draw this conclusion from the remarks posted here.
   First of all, when the current proprietors took possession of the railroad in 1987, it was pretty beat up already by the previous operators. This is only my opinion, but I feel that had the folks that operate the Seminole Gulf now not shown up, and took over the rail line, I think there would be NO railroad here in SW. Florida. Again, it is my opinion as an old business man, that the major corporation that owned the line was right on the verge of abandoning it had not the present folks stepped up to the plate.
   Saying that Seminole Gulf has but one semi dependable locomotive is just a light bit of an under satement.Due to the fact that I'm a past retirement age guy that still works a forty hour week, I don't have the time nor the inclination to dig into the very little parts of the operation of the Seminole Gulf Railway. But I do know that Monday, Wendsday, and Friday, a freight train goes to Arcadia, Florida. And back. That is a 110 mile round trip. Plus from about the mid week point, dinner trains are run, plus excursion trains on certain week days. That alone would require more than one "semi dependable" locomotive.
   As far as Seminole Gulf Railway working with a "museum". I can say from very first hand expierience that they worked exceeding well with the model railroad that they inherited from the major corporation, which was already on the property with their own "full size equipment". (two forty foot box cars, one 1948 Fairmont speeder, one
85 foot 1945 Budd car). Plus giveing trackage rights for the operation of the motor car on many, many week ends, and agreeing to trackage rights for two motorcar meets, 1991&1992, from Ft. Myers to Arcadia and back. And one railfan trip with every passenger carrying car available covering every single mile of their railroad. Includeing some trackage that does not exist any longer. I know of the aformentioned events because I organized them in the name of Scale Rails of SW Flroida.
   Some people have stayed for almost twenty years , others left with short time service. This day in age, that happens all over in any kind of industry. I have gotten to know many of the long time employees through the almost twenty years that Seminole Gulf Railway has been here in Ft. Myers.  
   Is the railroad old and the engines tired? Absolutely yes. Do they work with a "museum entity"? From my own expierinece, more than could have been expected.
Do employees stay or leave? Some did and some did'nt.
   I have gotten to know the proprietors of Seminole Gulf Ralway. It is my humble opinion that they are doing all they can do with what they have to work with. The alternative here in SW Florida is NO railroad at all.  

Respectfully,

Bruce Raykiewicz    

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2007, 6:01am by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
BillD53A

« Reply #9 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 6:41pm »

I wrote that 4 1/2 months ago.
550 runs.  YOU said it barely runs.  I said that historically, every spring they fire it up, play with it for a week and park it again.
571 is dead.  The power cables burned up several years ago.  Since 571 is long-hood front, the cables from the other units don't fit it.  It has been and is being cannibalized to keep the othewr units running.
572 has been dead for decades...since the early 90s IIRC.  It is gutted.
573 runs.  The prime mover blew up about 2 years ago, and it was swapped for the prime mover from 571.
574 died shortly after SGLR took over and has been gutted.
575 runs but does not have MU capability.
576 and 577 are in Oneco.  One runs the other doesn't .  I think 577 is running, on the trucks from under 571.
578 runs, but something happened in its electrical cabinet around 2 1/4 years ago.  They had it parked for a while, then got it running, but they didnt take it out of town for a long time, and still dont if they can help it.
579 had an engine fire shortly after it came from the FEC.  It has been used only on the passenger trains since.
580 threw the piston.  
AT THE TIME I WROTE IT, 573 was the only unit they had that they could count on.

Bachmann makes Atlas
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 5:42am »

Bill,

I was only responding to the collective series of posts. If you re-read my post, I never used the phrase "barely runs".  And, I never used the number 550.  Even YOU must admit, it would be sort of difficult for them to do all of this train moveing around, even four and a half months ago, with only one locomotive. Thats all I'm saying.  
   Bill, I know you a long time, and I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest with you. YOU have the time to study every tie and spike, whereas I don't AND I don't wish to for that matter either.

Bruce

« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2007, 6:04am by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
dgmarklin
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 8:04pm »

Well said Bruce,  

I just know that were suppose to have some deal going on with running the steamer down at lakes park about 8 years ago and were suppose to give us other stock and they backed out, they said that they never talked to us about it , so thats my experience, not much of one but what i heard.  Although it wouldnt be a first that the Railroad museum of South Florida screw up things and ticked people off...  lol   I just stick in there the best I can and keep my mouth shut  

Ya, I guess Seminole Gulf does the best they can, after all a locomotive is exactly cheap, neither is some of their rolling stock.  After all a small GE 44 Tonner is about $35K.   ( http://www.theccrr.com/sale.htm  )

Dean
CapnTomDrums

« Reply #12 on: Feb 25th, 2007, 8:39am »

Any truth that Seminole Gulf is rebuilding the Seaboard Air Line branch to LaBell, to serve the coal-fired generating plant?  The welded-rail train is in Arcadia.  Are they going to serve Alico Corporation's new ethanol plant too?

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."
Samuel Adams
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #13 on: Feb 26th, 2007, 2:15pm »

Tom,

If you are at all familiar with the SW Florida area, you would be very aware that much of the Seaboard ROW to Labelle is either built on, used for power lines or has reverted to grove and pasture land. And, that it is approximately twenty five miles from any trackage in Ft. Myers to Labelle. Point of Interest; the trackage to Labelle was removed by the Seaboard Air Line way back in 1952. The same time frame that they pulled all trackage out of SW Florida back to the Arcadia area.

Seminole Gulf has installed,and is installing welded rail in different parts of the railroad. This information I heard just a few short days ago at a live steam gathering
in N. Ft. Myers. From none other than the president of the Seminole Gulf Railway. Who just happens to also be a live steam enthusiast and a personal friend .

Take care,

Bruce

« Last Edit: Feb 26th, 2007, 3:46pm by ErieAtlantic7597 » Logged
CapnTomDrums

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:25pm »

Since we all know the owner so much was anyone going to tell us that Alco C425 #550 left this morning with all SGLR lettering removed ans WNYP stencilled on the cab?

"The liberties of our country, the freedom of our civil constitution, are worth defending against all hazards; and it is our duty to defend them against all attacks."
Samuel Adams
up6050
TRAINing

« Reply #15 on: Jul 28th, 2007, 4:10am »

on Jun 22nd, 2007, 3:25pm, CapnTomDrums wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Since we all know the owner so much was anyone going to tell us that Alco C425 #550 left this morning with all SGLR lettering removed ans WNYP stencilled on the cab?

The WNYP is the Western New York and Pennsylavania Railroad, out of Falconer, NY, and is a all ALCO railroad.

up6050
TRAINing

« Reply #16 on: Jul 30th, 2007, 12:07am »

Found a picture of the ALCO C425 on the LAL, which is the sister railroad of the WNYP (owned by the same guy). Here is a link to the picture:
http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.php?id=195437

BillD53A

GenShorts/1083659073_6c4ad15662_m.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #17 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 2:49pm »

An old photo of 580

Bachmann makes Atlas
BillD53A

GenShorts/1084519178_9cb2748820.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #18 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 3:00pm »

Bachmann makes Atlas
BillD53A

GenShorts/1083659363_4330525c89.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #19 on: Sep 15th, 2007, 3:04pm »

502 again

Bachmann makes Atlas
Pages: 1 2 3  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »