Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Sep 23rd, 2017, 4:27pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Knox and Kane RR: Scrapped!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Knox and Kane RR: Scrapped!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Knox and Kane RR: Scrapped!  (Read 13411 times)
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Knox and Kane RR

« Reply #60 on: Aug 26th, 2007, 12:22pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Marienville's Octoberfest is coming up in the near future.  Last year KKRR gave rides from the Marienville Station to McCray's Siding and back.  I found someone to cover for me for a few hours and my wife came up and we rode the last ride of the day, possibly the last ride ever on the line by the looks of things.  I'm glad I took the short ride.  I got to go inside the round house to see the steamers before they got towed up to Kane.  As far as I know they are still there.  According to the link, it doesn't look like KKRR is giving rides this year for Oktoberfest.  If I see different, I will post.  I didn't know anything about the rides last year until I rounded the bend at The Kelly on the way to work in the AM.  Spent the morning railfanning (while I was working   ) til my wife got there.

Here's the link to the sched. of events: http://www.forestcounty.com/oktoberfest.html

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian
Re: Knox and Kane RR

« Reply #61 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 9:52am »

http://www.kanerepublican.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4576&Itemid=27

Train to state park may resume next year  
Written by Ted Lutz      

The Knox & Kane Railroad's excursion train to Kinzua Bridge State Park still sits idle on tracks along Biddle Street in Kane. Trips from Kane to the park were suspended after the 2004 season.

The excursion train from Kane to the Kinzua Bridge State Park near Mt. Jewett still sits idle on tracks along Biddle Street.

This is the third summer the train rides have been suspended.

There is a chance the excursions could resume next year.

"It's a hope," John Hafer said in discussing plans by the Knox & Kane Railroad to operate the excursions again next year.

But he pointed out that the decision to resume excursions rests on many factors.  

"Nothing is written in stone," Hafer said. "It's not definite."

Hafer is the grandson of Sloan Cornell, a Marienville resident who has owned the railroad since 1981.  

The rail excursions to Kinzua Bridge State Park began this month 20 years ago-- 1987.  

For years, a steam locomotive pulled passenger rail cars from Marienville to the park with a stop in Kane. The highlight of the 96-mile roundtrip excursion through mainly forested land was the crossing of the 2,053-foot Kinzua Bridge, which stood 301 feet above the Kinzua Creek Valley.

When the structure was built in 1882, it was the highest railroad bridge in the world.  

The bridge was destroyed on July 21, 2003 when tornadoes toppled the midsection of the structure. Of the 20 steel support structures, 11 now lie in the ruins of the bridge at the bottom of the gorge.

The railroad operated excursions to the park in 2004, mainly from its depot on Biddle Street in Kane. But, without the bridge crossing as a feature, the number of passengers diminished. The railroad has not operated train excursions in 2005, 2006 or this year.

Hafer said it would take "the better part of the winter" months to complete maintenance work on just one of the railroad's two steam locomotives now housed in Kane.

"It takes time and money," he said in discussing mandatory work to bring a steam locomotive up to code.

The railroad has used a diesel engine in the past for the rail excursions. However, Hafer believes it will take a steam locomotive "to bring the people back" to ride the excursion train.

Hafer is continuing to work on the railroad's property in Kane where many rail cars now are located on a siding on the south side of Biddle Street (Route 6). He is planning to extend one of the existing sidings on the property.

The railroad has sold one of its diesel engines and an "extra caboose," Hafer said. But he said the railroad has no plans at this time to abandon any tracks.

"Everything is staying the way it is," Hafer said.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Knox and Kane RR: Steam excursions may resume in 2008

« Reply #62 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 7:04pm »

Great!!!  Let's hope.  I heard last year from a very reliable source that the KKRR was going to "try" to run excursions in 2007.  Thanks for the post.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 5:58pm »

Note that this did not come from the owner.  

If you heard it from him, believe it.

Dave Becker

Moderates: WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
Railfan.net
EBT_fan
Enthusiast

« Reply #64 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 11:15am »

Word may not be from the owner, but it's at least from his grandson.  I wouldn't know if Sloan is in good enough health to be making public statements now (it seemed to be questionable for years now).

That'd be awesome if it does open.  My dad and I enjoyed riding it several times between '91 and 2000, one of the few nearby long rides you were allowed to stand up, walk around, and grab a bite to eat on.  The bridge was a plus, but I'd ride it again as it is.

Only ever boarded at Kane though, and it looks like that will be the only option for now?

Btw, is there an engine house in Kane they are keeping the locos in?  I didn't know if Kane had any facilities.

Ray

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #65 on: Aug 31st, 2007, 2:29pm »

The "Try to run from Kane in 2007" actually did come from Sloan during the Oktoberfest rides in 2006, but it wasn't a public statement.  I asked him if they had any KKRR patches to sell, and he told me that all of that stuff was packed up at Kane.  That is when he told me that they were going to try to run in 2007, and that the souvineers would be for sale.  This was before he had to recooperate without going into details why.  I saw him in June and he seemed to be doing pretty good considering.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian
  kkrrbehinenginehouse.jpg - 92223 Bytes
« Reply #66 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 2:00pm »

There is a two stall engine house in Kane.

Here is a pic of the back of it from November 2006

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/kkrrbehinenginehouse.jpg
Click Image to Resize

skybird
TRAINing

« Reply #67 on: Sep 11th, 2007, 4:15pm »

If the K&K can run excursions why not freight

firedog911
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #68 on: Sep 29th, 2007, 8:28am »

I was up in Kane a week or so ago and noticed there were ties being replacemented and looked like a few sticks of rail were being replaced near the crossing on Rt 321.

minnesotamatt
TRAINing

« Reply #69 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 9:31am »

on Sep 11th, 2007, 4:15pm, skybird wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If the K&K can run excursions why not freight

All of the K&Ks customers are at the other end of the line. With the track conditions the way they are freight wont make it down there.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #70 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 2:25pm »

That and the fact that it is a 60-65 mile treck from Lucinda to Mt. Jewett for 10 or 12 cars per week.  Pretty sure that the last customer NB was in Lucinda, the fiberboard plant is farther south.  Its just not very cost effective, no matter what the track condition is with nothing else between Lucinda and Mt. J except the wide open track.  The line needs more customers or more cars from the current customers on it to survive.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
jeo324
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #71 on: Sep 30th, 2007, 5:36pm »

Why didn't the Genessee and Wyoming keep in the old New York Central low grade line up to a connection with the K&K from Brookville to serve these customers?

minnesotamatt
TRAINing

« Reply #72 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 7:32am »

major track work and really wouldnt be worth it. If my memory serves me correctly the K&K and the NYC corssed over eachother not a diamond jtc. so there would be alot of earth moving just to get that done. also the bridges over the creek and 207 are gone the crossing on 66 is out and im sure the curved tresle over paint creek would need to be replaced. Not to mention the fact that the fiberboard plant when most of this could still have been done was only shipping about 3 cars a week. That was about 5-6 years ago they closed and the last train out of the plant derailed. I know that the new timber company in there promised more traffic but it is still alot of money and not a fast enough turn around. I forgot that all of the NYC low grade is gone the track and the big tresle is gone a scrap company took the whole damn thing about a year ago.

Matt

Mr. Starr

« Reply #73 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 8:51am »

If I read this forum correctly,I saw/read that most of the K & K RR passenger excursion cars were sold . As for the excursions how are they the K&K going to run excursions without passenger equipment?  However, I understand that excursions may resume in 2008, what about the CHINESE SY steam locomotive where is that ?  

Tom

thebigham
Historian

« Reply #74 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:08am »

on Oct 1st, 2007, 8:51am, Tom_J wrote:       (Click here for original message)
If I read this forum correctly,I saw/read that most of the K & K RR passenger excursion cars were sold . As for the excursions how are they the K&K going to run excursions without passenger equipment?  However, I understand that excursions may resume in 2008, what about the CHINESE SY steam locomotive where is that ?  

Tom

No, only two passenger cars were sold.

The article above says that no more equipment would be sold.

I think the Chinese steamer is in the Kane enginehouse along with the GP9.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #75 on: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:16am »

As far as the NYC Grade, there WAS a Conrail/KKRR interchange just west of Shippenville near where the high trestle over 322 used to be.  Conrail did go above the KKRR, but there was an inclined junction (KKRR south to the Conrail west).  Conrail ripped at least the Franklin/Shippenville section up in the mid-late 80's.  The stretch of the KKRR from Clarion Jct. to Knox was ripped up in 2000.  In B&P times, the NYC track ended at Piney Tipple.  Not sure when it was removed.

As far as the passenger stock, I can't answer what has been sold, but there is quite a bit left both in Kane and in Marienville.  I think the better stock is in Kane along with the GP9 #39and both steamers (the Mike #58, and the Baldwin #38).  The RS36 #70 was sold off in June, and has left the line.  It did get the torch.  I think the power and genset are working an oil rig in Tx.  Not sure on that.

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2007, 10:19am by EMTRailfan » Logged

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
rwk
Historian

« Reply #76 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 10:42pm »

Still any hope for it coming back? Long distance steam excursions are rare so as it is, this was a 96-mile round trip when they ran to the bridge. Will they even be able to run steam without access to the bridge and wye? They also ran a few rare excursions south of Marienville a few years ago I saw on the website. I believe it was a 100 mile round trip.

thebigham
Historian

« Reply #77 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 11:19am »

I'm sure the excursions will only be from Kane to the bridge.

All the motive power has been moved to Kane.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #78 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 8:28pm »

on Oct 30th, 2007, 10:42pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Still any hope for it coming back? Long distance steam excursions are rare so as it is, this was a 96-mile round trip when they ran to the bridge. Will they even be able to run steam without access to the bridge and wye? They also ran a few rare excursions south of Marienville a few years ago I saw on the website. I believe it was a 100 mile round trip.

There is a WYE already in Kane.  John has been pretty busy in Marienville and Kane.  Maybe he's just as busy at Mt. J. laying new track for a WYE there too if it's possible.  If not, they'll probably be steam powered one direction, and GP9 the other, just like a lot of other steam specials.  After all, the article posted a few months back does say that the work on one of the steamers will take the better part of the winter.  It also says that it takes time and money.  So maybe the steam just might not make it in 2008, but give them credit for giving it a go.  If they do run in 2008, I'll be there either riding or taking photos every weekend that I can regardless whether it is steam or Geep.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Steel_Wheels
Chaser

« Reply #79 on: Feb 7th, 2008, 3:11pm »

Hey, EMTrailfan, we've met then!! Remember the guy with the disposable camera standing next to you taking pictures during those OKtoberfest shorts Sloan was running. We were standing by the crossing on the road to loleta.

That was me. Because you even told me you supposed to be at work at the ambulance station across the street.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »