Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 27th, 2017, 1:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Knox and Kane RR: Liquidation Auction Oct. 10 & 11
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Knox and Kane RR: Liquidation Auction Oct. 10 & 11
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Knox and Kane RR: Liquidation Auction Oct. 10 & 11  (Read 12956 times)
pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Knox and Kane RR

« Reply #40 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 1:55pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

My simple, dumb idea:

Have the forest service buy the line for tourist purposes and have at it.

I have much more to say on this idea, but basically, there are many models for this around the country. None are close enough to this line to impact it in any negative way.

David Becker

Moderates: WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
Railfan.net
railfaninwi
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 2:02pm »

i was wondering if anyone knows the asking price on the railroad and how to contact the current owner. i have been around this line as a kid and moved from jamestown ny to wisconsin in june 2003 and have just learned about the tornado and if i can i would like to restore the line and excursion service. i understand the line needs upgrading but with my contacts i should be able to make a vialant effort to restore back to usable shape pretty quickly. thanks for any help you offer.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #42 on: Jul 2nd, 2007, 4:54pm »

Last I heard was +/- $2 million.  That was before the ALCO RS 36 was sold.  A few other things have been sold, and some of the (non-main) rail has been pulled.  If you Google the RR, I think I have seen the RR phone#, but I don't know if it is in service either now.  I can contact the ownership in person, but I'm not the type to give out personal info out to strangers.  If you PM me with your contact info, I can probably get the info to them.

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
PilotinControl
Enthusiast

« Reply #43 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 1:03am »

Hello,

The person who is interested in this line please contact me offlist...I know of a company who is willing to run the railroad if someone is interested in fixing it. I know Sloan and the family. The problem is the restoration of the line to bring it to proper specs is outrageous....to do anything with the line it will cost millions to fix....the sale of the railroad is not worth 5 million...considering Sloan bought it for scrap from the B&O for about $250,000 anyways.....contact me offlist if interested.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #44 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:06am »

Thats about 1.5 million in todays dollars.....not chump change, and I wouldn't say the railroad was in any better shape then. ....not to mention, the rise is scrap value more recently.....5 million may be steep, but not too far off.

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2007, 2:09am by NHIWW » Logged

PilotinControl
Enthusiast

« Reply #45 on: Jul 3rd, 2007, 8:34am »

Hello,

This is true...a very well known reputable company did an assesment of the line to get it up to operating standards and using the correct freight hauling rail....including materials....correct roadbed work, proper drainage, ties, rail, ballast, man hours.....and 60 plus miles of track....and repairing the bridge which would be completely rebuilding the thing...*20 million plus dollars* to do all the work with maybe a few thousand left over for equipment...signage for road crossings...since people have been taking them and selling them on ebay...and bringing in freight service....cause there are customers on this line...still...who would like to still get railservice...and this private company has contacts to bring in more customers....so if anyone has a large bank account I can tell you where to write the check  

« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2007, 8:42am by PilotinControl » Logged
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #46 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 2:23am »

$20 million?...thats all?.....60 miles of track to bring up to class one standards for that measly amount?....pretty rough esitmate if you ask me.

Consider the work that needed to be done down the W&W was nearly $10 million, and that was for little over 6 miles out of 10 miles of ROW to be rebuilt in portions (grant it, K&K is not flood ravaged) ....inlcuding 6 bridges, all very low compared to Kinzua, not to mention the other bridges on the K&K...and that volunteer labor was contributed in large amounts....which K&K doesn't have.

I think that figure would be more like $40 million. Easily, you can figure $500,000- 1 million per mile just to get things up to Class 1 standards from what the K&K is working with. Add at least 15 million for the bridge work...then look at equipment....you might as well just call this railroad dead.

« Last Edit: Jul 4th, 2007, 2:38am by NHIWW » Logged

PilotinControl
Enthusiast

« Reply #47 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 7:34pm »

Hello,

True...that was a couple years ago....I know of a few companies that can bring in materials for *cost* or less than cost even had a company willing to bring in materials from left over from other projects to tackle the bridge.....all this how ever was contingent on change of ownership...current ownership was less than willing to work...at one time a few of the industries offered money to the owner...and was turned down....remember when industries are along the line...whether owned by a private entity or corporation...you still have an obligation to provide dependable rail service...and when you basically blow off your customers and rather *play* trains then something is wrong...then again look at what happened to the Gettysburg Railroad...need I say more.

OC@T Fan
Enthusiast

« Reply #48 on: Jul 4th, 2007, 11:34pm »

put it this way... as long as that railroad is under sloans control it will never run again... for pete sake his steam engines used to leave marienville with his dog as the fireman.

May 75 sound in the Oil Creek Valley FOREVER!
PaulP.
TRAINing

« Reply #49 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 6:45pm »

hahahahaha

PaulP.
TRAINing

« Reply #50 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 6:50pm »

well the thing is we do what we can, scrap what we can to get atleast soem money. We don't need all bran new rail, we can use old rail that current class one railroads left behind that is in decent shape. You replace every other rr tie instead of ever rr tie.

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Jul 5th, 2007, 10:30pm »

from what I hear about Sloan, there isnt enough good rail left up there to do much of anything. The entire line is a FRA violation, and sad to say the alco is gone now!

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
skybird
TRAINing

« Reply #52 on: Jul 11th, 2007, 6:50pm »

WHILE I AM NOT ABLE TO TRAVEL AT THIS TIME THE KNOX AND KANE IS OF INTEREST AS ARE MANY SHORT LINES AND REGIONALS THIS IS WHERE THE ACTION IS. PERHAPS THE TONS OR COUNTIES INVOLVED CAN USE TH RIGHT OF EMMINET DOMAIN TO TAKE OVER TH K&KAND GO FROM THERE. A LOT OF BUSINESSES AND OTHER THINGS HAVE FAILED BECAUSE OF TALK AND LITTLE ACTION. EVERY AVENUE MUST BE EXPLORED ANDACTION TAKEN AS TALK DOSEN'T GET THINGS DONE. IF YOU HAVE CUSTOMERS WHO ARE WILLING TO HELP FINANCE GETTING THE LINE BACK IN SHAPE FOR HEAVENS SAKE LOK AT THE POSSIBILIES AND IF NEW CUSTOMERS AREAPOSSIBILITY WHY KEEP TALKING? REBUILD FROM THE INTERCHANGE TO THE PRESENT CUSTOMERS AND GET REVENUE STARTED. DON' CRY OVER LOST POWER OR ROLLING STOCK. POWER CAN BE SMALLER LOCO'S LIK ALCO S-2S OR EMD SW 1200'S LARGER POWER CAN BE PURCHASED LATER IF DEMAND CALLS FOR IT TOO MANY PEOPLE WANT THE WHOLE WORKS OR NOTHING EXPLORE EVERY AVENUE TOO MANY CANT SEE THE FORREST FOR THE TREES. ACTION MUST BE TAKEN AND NOT WORRY ABOUT WHAT WAS LOST OR SOLD OFF TODAY AND TOMORROW ARE HERE NOW. DELAY WILL IN THE LONG RUN CAUSE MORE PROBLEMS  GOOD LUCK

PaulP.
TRAINing

« Reply #53 on: Jul 15th, 2007, 2:43am »

Is it CSX or NS mainline down the line? Would they be interesting in making a deal?

towny72
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #54 on: Jul 15th, 2007, 4:54pm »

B&P and RJC both had interest in the line but after seeing the carloads it would produce vs repair costs they ened the talks. B&P has been talking to the new plant going into clarion about doing a DC service. It would be less expensive to run trucks up to the plant and down to the line then off load onto box cars.

Railfan Safely, And always respect private property.
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #55 on: Jul 16th, 2007, 2:02am »

on Jul 5th, 2007, 6:50pm, PaulP. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
well the thing is we do what we can, scrap what we can to get atleast soem money. We don't need all bran new rail, we can use old rail that current class one railroads left behind that is in decent shape. You replace every other rr tie instead of ever rr tie.

Generally, with a rebuild like this RR would need, just to get up to class 1 standards would only require every 5th tie to be new....at least in doing that much, the line would be more passable....drop some stone and tamp the joints and start some sort of service to get revenue flowing...

Rarely is a line rebuilt with every single tie replaced...unless its done by a major corp like NS or CSX (ok, that may be a stretch)...you get the point.

Really, this whole situation reminds me of what played out on the NH&I when it was under McHugh control....."my way or the highway"

Sad.

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

KKRR_MOW.jpg - 52893 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 11:29pm »

I snagged a shot of this piece of MOW equip. at Kane.  I know Sloan owned the Gettysburg at one time, and obviously the KKRR.  I'm pretty sure that he started out in Blairsville, PA with the Penn View Mountain RR, but what is the JKWI in the keystone?

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/KKRR_MOW.jpg
Click Image to Resize

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #57 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:23am »

on Aug 1st, 2007, 11:29pm, EMTRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I snagged a shot of this piece of MOW equip. at Kane.  I know Sloan owned the Gettysburg at one time, and obviously the KKRR.  I'm pretty sure that he started out in Blairsville, PA with the Penn View Mountain RR, but what is the JKWI in the keystone?

OK, I found my own answer via Google.  It stands for the Johnsonburg, Warren, Kane, and Irvine RR.  Next ??? is does this RR tie in to the Sloan Cornell RR history in some way?

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2007, 7:23am by EMTRailfan » Logged

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Alco539
Railfan

« Reply #58 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:58am »

Kevin,

The JWKI was the predisesor to the Allegheny Railroad. (Now the A&E/B&P) The Connection Point was at Kane and I believe at that time there was no K&K. The RR went as far south as Johnsonburg (I think) And north to Corry. I believe they served Union City for awhile before losing the customer there. The from Warren north to Erie was in pretty bad shape back then until 1986/87 when Hammermill Paper took over the line to run it's pulpwood trains. The BP take over happened in 1992/93. Sloan used ex-WM/Chessie Gp9 #6414 (now #59) and an RS3 er' two on the line for power. Oh yeah,.. The piece of equipment is a Nordberg Spiker.

RES

« Last Edit: Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:59am by Alco539 » Logged
skybird
TRAINing

« Reply #59 on: Aug 23rd, 2007, 6:17pm »

what's up with the K&K haven't heard or read anything. Is it all talk and no action? Time is wasting and winter will soon be here, not that work can't be done in th winter season. hope all is not lost.    

skybird

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »