Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 17th, 2017, 11:58pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Knox and Kane RR: Scrapped!
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Knox and Kane RR: Scrapped!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Knox and Kane RR: Scrapped!  (Read 13481 times)
K4s 1361
Railfan
Re: Knox and Kane RR

« Reply #20 on: Oct 6th, 2006, 10:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

BTW, as of October 4th, I noticed the For Sale signs are back at the Marieneville Station and Yard.

Oh! well, so much for hopes Sloan will fix it and run it again.

I wish i was there when steam ruled the rails!!

The Brickleys from Germany Originals since 1750.
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #21 on: Oct 16th, 2006, 12:22pm »

Thanks for the news.

Chris

PilotinControl
Enthusiast

« Reply #22 on: Oct 16th, 2006, 3:09pm »

Hey All,

Well doesn't that just tear it... it's funny.. there is a company who is interested in the K&K, and B&P/Low Grade Line and Sligo branch.. in fact C&K coal company who owns the sligo branch wants to use it to haul coal.. but alas.. B&P has everyone going to Butler or Dubius..so it doesn't surprise me at all.

PilotinControl
Enthusiast

« Reply #23 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 3:10am »

Hey All,

Here's an update.. on railswap.org the Knox and Kane RR NYC caboose, tamper, and the RS-36 is for sale....no more friehgt is ever going to run on this line...next will come the passenger cars and the steam locos.....sad...very sad.

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #24 on: Nov 17th, 2006, 7:27am »

As far as I know, several of the passenger cars have already been sold off...particularly the DL&W cars.

tbschwab
TRAINing

« Reply #25 on: Apr 16th, 2007, 10:25am »

has anyone heard if the k&k will be scrapped or if the people who were in talks of buying it will come through?

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #26 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 8:00pm »

I saw in the BPRR Yahoo group that #70, the Alco, is supposedly on the way to Bradford for scrap.  Yahoo post says that the engine and generator are being removed for use elsewhere.  There are also some photos from the Kane newspaper of one of the diesels getting new wheels last fall.  Some think that it is #70.  Why put new wheels on it to scrap it?  Does anyone know anything?

Also appears to be clean up around the Marienville Yard.  All of the old speeders, etc. are gone.  Still one speeder and tank cart at the wye plus tamper and spreader and coaches and 2 cabeese.  There are 2 loco plows outside of the RH.  Looks like fairly fresh paint.  You can also see through the round house, window to window.  Last I heard, the steamers are stored at Kane now.  There were two coaches under restoration in the round house last summer.  You used to be able to see one of them through the window.  What happened to those?

String of cars is still on the main behind the Subway.

Sloan Cornell told me last summer that KKRR is going to "TRY" to run excursions from Kane to the Viaduct in 2007.  Let's hope.

Does anyone know anything

« Last Edit: Apr 19th, 2007, 8:02pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #27 on: Apr 19th, 2007, 8:09pm »

As far as the talks of someone buying it, I don't know.  I heard that the fiberboard plant still wants rail service, plus there is also a new flooring plant being built back there too.  It all comes down to getting more that 10 cars/week to make movements.  For Clarion County sake, I hope something works out for the line, and get it back in operation.  Last rail line in Clarion Co. since BPRR filed for abandonment of the Low Grade to Sligo.  Hate to lose another piece of history.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #28 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 10:07am »

Drove by the Marienville Station this AM, and the high rail Dakota was out behind it, with a few guys standing around it.  Going for a ride???

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2007, 10:08am by EMTRailfan » Logged

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
pablo
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #29 on: Apr 20th, 2007, 10:45pm »

I have been told the ALCO will be scrapped. In fact, I was under the impression that it had happened already.

Posted elsewhere online is that several 251-engined ALCOs are being scrapped so that their 251's can go to marine applications.

Better get your 251 ALCO before they're gone.

David Becker

Moderates: WNY&P, LA&L & B&H
Railfan.net
scottychaos
Historian

« Reply #30 on: Apr 25th, 2007, 10:11pm »

The New York Central bay window caboose has been sold, to the city of Oswego, NY, who is going to put it on display.

Its NYC 21064.
Built at Despatch Shops in 1963.  

http://www.hebners.net/CR/crN7B/cr21064July%2014_87a.jpg

more info:
http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=35583

Scot

thebigham
Historian

« Reply #31 on: May 4th, 2007, 1:17pm »

I posted some K&K pics I took last November here:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order=byrail&page=1&key=Knox%20%26%20Kane

Chris

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #32 on: May 22nd, 2007, 8:33pm »

I was taking somebody to UPMC Northwest today from Clarion, and Penn DoT was putting EXEMPT signs up at the 322 crossing at Clarion Jct.  I don't work in Marienville until next week to see if there are EXEMPT signs up along RT 66.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
PSU Railfan
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #33 on: May 22nd, 2007, 10:51pm »

Saw in today's Railpace (June) that the RS-36 has been sold.  "The new owner is apparently interested in the prime mover only...the remainder of the unit is to go for scrap"

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #34 on: May 25th, 2007, 6:59pm »

Finally got to make it as far north as Leeper this morning.  There are also EXEMPT signs at all 3 of the RT 66 crossings from Clarion Jct. to Leeper.  I'll be working Marienville next week and update.  Not sure whether the signs are being placed on the whole line, or just Clarion County Penn DOT, District 10, putting them up in Clarion County.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #35 on: May 31st, 2007, 12:14pm »

Didn't get a chance to make it north of Marienville yesterday while working.  Slow day.  Anyway, there is NOT an exempt sign at the RT 66 crossing at Muzette Rd.  Must have been a Clarion Penn DoT office thing.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
Ron_Mele
Railfan

« Reply #36 on: Jun 21st, 2007, 11:22pm »

My brother in law and I took a trip today to see the Kinzua Bridge and we paralled the K&K. We stopped in Marienville and noted that there were no locomotives in the roundhouse. But, there were some passenger and track maintenance equipment stored there.  Next, we went to Kane and and saw more passenger equipment. We talked to a K&K employee who was there working on some equipment and he said the railroad isn't dead yet but didn't elaborate. Next, we stopped in Mount Jewett and saw the Alco unit marked for scrap. There were also an old B&O baggage car and a very decrepit C&O passenger car sitting there. Where are the steam locomotives? I hope the railroad can survive but it is going to take a LOT of track rehab to get it in operating condition.

Ron Mele

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #37 on: Jun 22nd, 2007, 9:37am »

The last that I heard, both steamers are now in Kane along with the GP9 since the RS36 has been sold.  Eventually, I look for everything that is left in Marienville to be moved to Kane.  I didn't realize that all of the passenger cars in Kane were gone.  I am with you, I hope the line survives.  I don't have any RR technical skills, but I would be willing to donate some elbow grease to keep her open.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #38 on: Jun 25th, 2007, 4:13pm »

No, all the passenger cars in Kane are still there.

PaulP.
TRAINing

« Reply #39 on: Jul 1st, 2007, 6:25am »

Is thier like a fund raiser to help the company that wants to buy the railroad?  was like thinking of having a fund raiser to help the company buy the railroad, even though at $2million.  Which I know, , it's a lot for the shape it in, but it's alot to forget about. Im sure if we save half, or 3 qouarters as much, the surrounding compnaies would pay the rest. And as in re turn they wouyld bring the passenger service back once the line is up to FRA...

Bad idea I know.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ...  11 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »