Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 27th, 2017, 1:35pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Knox and Kane RR: Liquidation Auction Oct. 10 & 11
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Knox and Kane RR: Liquidation Auction Oct. 10 & 11
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Knox and Kane RR: Liquidation Auction Oct. 10 & 11  (Read 12955 times)
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

Re: Knox and Kane RR: Steam excursions may resume in 2008

« Reply #100 on: Jun 16th, 2008, 7:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Update:

The 3 blue baggage cars pictured above...tore apart for scrap.  Both crossings on Blood Rd...Gone.  Rt 66 crossing at Leeper gone in the northbound lane in the last few weeks.  Hmmm.  Not under abandonment yet, but maybe more cost effective to rip the highway rough crossings out and pave them over and let any future buyers worry about relaying the crossings since they aren't being used for the RR?  All "major" crossings in Clarion County have been marked Exempt for 6-8 months or so.

Edit:

I forgot to mention...If there are any firefighters out there, Firehouse's May 08 issue has a small write up about the arson, and includes a dark shot of the coach, and a scorched number board shot of the SY58.

« Last Edit: Jun 16th, 2008, 8:03pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

Choo-choos and whoo-whoos!!!
My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #101 on: Jun 24th, 2008, 11:58am »

Thanks, EMTRailfan.

I hope to visit the K&K in July.

mfptb425
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #102 on: Jun 29th, 2008, 10:04pm »

maybe 1658 and 38 could be saved with the right amount of money. if i recall Cass Scenic Railroad #3 suffered from a shop fire in 1972 and it ran again. Also the Durango and Silverton had a round house fire in the winter of 1989 with all engines getting hit by the fire and being restored. if we could rise some money for the railroad they both could be restored. Just a thought

http://forums.railfan.net/Images/Test/KKC3.gif
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #103 on: Jul 6th, 2008, 6:06pm »

on Jun 16th, 2008, 7:59pm, EMTRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Update:

The 3 blue baggage cars pictured above...tore apart for scrap.  Both crossings on Blood Rd...Gone.  Rt 66 crossing at Leeper gone in the northbound lane in the last few weeks.  Hmmm.  Not under abandonment yet, but maybe more cost effective to rip the highway rough crossings out and pave them over and let any future buyers worry about relaying the crossings since they aren't being used for the RR?  All "major" crossings in Clarion County have been marked Exempt for 6-8 months or so.

Edit:

I forgot to mention...If there are any firefighters out there, Firehouse's May 08 issue has a small write up about the arson, and includes a dark shot of the coach, and a scorched number board shot of the SY58.

What equipment is left in Marienville?

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #104 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 2:31pm »

on Jul 6th, 2008, 6:06pm, thebigham wrote:       (Click here for original message)

What equipment is left in Marienville?

The railbus, 1 Cambria&Indiana 2 bay hopper (the other one left by truck a few months ago), 1 speeder and ?weed sprayer? still on rails, the old auto rack/double decker passenger conversion, 3 or 4 excursion coaches (orange), cupola caboose, RPO car, a couple of well used speeders on the ground at the round house, and possibly a ballast tamper.  I may have missed a few.  Haven't been to Kane in a while.  Last I was by, there was a string of the brown coaches along RT6, and a Burro and tender car on the Nansen siding.  That's all I know of.

Edit: Forgot about a small tanker.

« Last Edit: Jul 7th, 2008, 2:33pm by EMTRailfan » Logged

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #105 on: Jul 7th, 2008, 10:52pm »

NEWSFLASH!!!

A Pennview Mountain coach is sitting outside of the Marienville engine house as I type.  For those that don't know, The Pennview Mountain RR was Sloan Cornell's 1st steam RR in Blairsville, PA in the early-mid '70s.  I have talked with his daughter, and she said that it was her job to stoke the steamer up in the mornings.  Almost certain that she said that he built the entire line on his farm, and that it was not a pre-existing line (don't hold me to it though).  I have an article about the Pennview.  I'll have to dig it out.  Hopefully still be out when I work Thurs. for some pics.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #106 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 12:12pm »

on Jul 7th, 2008, 2:31pm, EMTRailfan wrote:       (Click here for original message)

The railbus, 1 Cambria&Indiana 2 bay hopper (the other one left by truck a few months ago), 1 speeder and ?weed sprayer? still on rails, the old auto rack/double decker passenger conversion, 3 or 4 excursion coaches (orange), cupola caboose, RPO car, a couple of well used speeders on the ground at the round house, and possibly a ballast tamper.  I may have missed a few.  Haven't been to Kane in a while.  Last I was by, there was a string of the brown coaches along RT6, and a Burro and tender car on the Nansen siding.  That's all I know of.

Edit: Forgot about a small tanker.

Thank you!

I will visit the K&K next week and take a lot of pictures.

Is this equipment land locked now? There were some reports of rails being removed from crossings.

Here are some of my pics of Marienville from Nov. 2006:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order=byrail&page=1&key=Knox%20%26%20Kane

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #107 on: Jul 10th, 2008, 4:49pm »

Ugh.  You're coming next week.  I'm not working in Marienville next week.  

All of the rail that I am aware of that has been removed is south of Marienville.  The Byromtown Siding has been removed north of Marienville, but as far as I know, the main is still in tact.  The Burro and tender car on the Nansen Siding that I mentioned above is loaded with rail, but when I saw it a year ago, it looked like it had been there for a while before that.  There are approx.  7 or 8 cars in Marienville.  They have trucked a few out, and cut a few up.  Can't imagine all of them getting cut.  Some of them look in decent shape, but that also takes a buyer wanting to use them vs. a scrap dealer

To everyone:

Be careful in Kane.  "The KKRR is being watched very closely."  I wouldn't press your luck by exploring the yard area without permission, which should be a no brainer anyway as railfans.  You'd be surprised how much extra you may find if you take the time and have the curtesy to ask first instead of just trespassing.  I've gotten the "I can't tell you that you can, but..." and from a dispatcher, "Well, I can't seem to find the waiver forms, but I don't have any movents for a while.  Let's take a walk through the shops"  to under the radar cab rides, although I knew the *crew(s)* fairly well.  Never hurts to ask first.  The worst that will happen is a NO vs. a legitimate earbending from RR personnel or a cop at minimum.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #108 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 5:40pm »

I visited the K&K yesterday.

I did not explore the Kane Yard due to the arson and I was worried about trespassing. If anyone can get the car numbers of the cars stored near the enginehouse, please post them here.

I missed the crane at Nansen Siding. Where is that exactly?

Where is Blood Road?

The tracks been removed completely at the Rt 66 crossing at Leeper.

I was trying to figure out why that Penn View coach is sitting out in the open in Marienville. I think it's outside in case some one tries to burn down another building owned by the K&K.

The track to the turntable at Marienville and the track on the turntable have been removed.

I'll list all the K&K equipment here soon.  

thebigham
Historian
  resize.jpg - 179672 Bytes
« Reply #109 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 5:48pm »

Penn View 782 Marienville, PA 7/16/08

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (179672 bytes, 1126x845 pixels)

Click Here to View Image resize.jpg - 179672 Bytes

EMTRailfan
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #110 on: Jul 17th, 2008, 7:14pm »

Nansen Siding-

If you depart Kane SB on Rt 66, when you come to the 1st KKRR crossing, not counting the A&E, Nansen Siding will be to your right a few 100 yds. after the crossing.  IIRC, power lines go over the highway right there and the old Dancin' At Nansen's Bar is just a little farther south of that.

Blood Rd.-  

Is south of Marienville.  If you depart SB and go through the village of Gilfoyl,  Blood Rd. sorta Y's off of 66 to the right and boomerangs back onto 66 at the Clarion/Forest County Line.  The RR crossing is right at 66 and is (was) visible at the north end.  The remaining railbed is right beside 66 here.  The south crossing is a little off of 66.

My Railpictures.net
My RRPA
My NON RR pics
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #111 on: Jul 18th, 2008, 10:00pm »

I was just told (I'm sure some of you know this) that the railroad has been sold except for the two steam engines. The new owner plans on scrapping the K&K.

« Last Edit: Jul 18th, 2008, 10:01pm by thebigham » Logged
thebigham
Historian

« Reply #112 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 1:05pm »

I just found out that all the remaining equpment on the K&K will be scrapped.

thebigham
Historian

« Reply #113 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 4:42pm »

My latest K&K pics:

http://naphotos.nerail.org/show/?order=byrail&page=1&key=Knox%20%26%20Kane

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Re: Knox and Kane RR Update: Will be scrapped

« Reply #114 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 6:34pm »

Everything lefts going to be scrapped? Would that be including the steamers?
Or have they been moved/saved already?

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Alan_Maples

View Profile  

« Reply #115 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 8:28pm »

Equipment was not included in the sale of the railroad, and will be sold at a later date.

Alan Maples

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #116 on: Aug 6th, 2008, 8:40pm »

Good news.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Mr. Starr

« Reply #117 on: Aug 7th, 2008, 12:52am »

And what does that mean for the Chinese built steam?
 Who,what ,when and where is the mikado anyone know?

Tom

PENNSY_BOcabeese
Railfan

« Reply #118 on: Aug 7th, 2008, 12:54am »

That's a real shame, they have some nice looking equipment. They should at least have an auction or something, to cut up all that neat stuff. Somewhere all those cars could find new homes, but with the price of scrap steel, they would make a bigger bucks cutting them up!

mfptb425
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #119 on: Aug 7th, 2008, 11:04am »

Well what is going to Happen to the H&BTM 2-8-0 #38 is it going to be sold or scrapped. also the question everyone is asking what about the Chinese 2-8-2 #58

http://forums.railfan.net/Images/Test/KKC3.gif
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »