Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 30th, 2017, 8:55am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Maryland and Delaware RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Maryland and Delaware RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  60 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Maryland and Delaware RR  (Read 22763 times)
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Re: Maryland and Delaware RR

« Reply #100 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 11:18pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thanks everyone!  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Strasburg_fan
Former Member

« Reply #101 on: Jun 18th, 2006, 1:59pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

BC,

I just stumbled onto this thread now, and I really enjoyed your photos. It doesn't really matter that you "lost the train" again - the pics you were able to take more than made up for it. Nice job, and keep up the great work!

-Chris

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #102 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 5:09pm »

Thanks Chris,
-------
Does anyone know how the Seaford line withstood the storm?
Reports on the news said they lost some track a bridge, somewehre between Federalsburg and Hurlock. Federalsburg is also on the national news due to 4-5 feet of flooding in some areas. Including Railroad Ave. Where there office, shop/shed and transload facilitys are. I also found a article in the star democrat news paper about it:
Quote:
Floods in Caroline, Dorchester
By STEVE NERY, Staff Writer
June 26, 2006

Click an image to enlarge...

PHOTO BY ERIN FLUHARTY
Railroad Avenue in Federalsburg collapsed due to flash flooding after nearly nine inches of heavy rain Sunday. Federalsburg declared a state of emergency early Sunday morning.
Click an image to enlarge...

PHOTO BY DICK NEWCOMB
A portion of River Road washed out after heavy rains overwhelmed the culvert and undermined the road surface.

AP PHOTO
Joe Glime, left, and David Payne shovel stone into an alleyway in Federalsburg.

PHOTO BY ERIN FLUHARTY
Vehicles drive Sunday through several inches of standing water on Route 331 near Federalsburg.

PHOTO BY DICK NEWCOMB
This railroad track along Route 307 near Hurlock was damaged by floodwaters.

Powerful, prolonged rainfall caused severe flooding and washed out roads in areas of northern Dorchester and southern Caroline counties Sunday morning.

Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. ordered state agencies to provide whatever assistance was necessary in the two counties, as Federalsburg, Hurlock and Galestown all suffered serious flooding. Emergency management authorities said they had not heard of any deaths or serious injuries.

The rain began early Sunday morning and lasted until the afternoon, resulting in around a foot of accumulation in some areas. The National Weather Service is also predicting at least a 40 percent chance of rain each day through Thursday.

About 50 people in Caroline and Dorchester counties had to be evacuated, Maryland Emergency Management Agency (MEMA) spokesman Jeff Welsh said.

Federalsburg Mayor Betty Dallas declared a state of emergency about 8:15 a.m.

Donald Nagel, the chief of police in Federalsburg, said low-lying areas in the town were flooded Sunday morning, and about 45 people were voluntarily evacuated. They spent the day at the town fire hall, eating soup and sandwiches and watching TV, but all had returned to their homes by late afternoon as the water began to recede.

“We got very lucky. Thank God for the sun,” Nagel said.

Authorities said it was unclear how much damage was caused by the flooding. There were no reports of deaths or serious injuries.

Caroline County Sheriff’s Sgt. Ron Dixon spent the day helping evacuate Federalsburg residents. He said the heavy rain had stopped by early afternoon, and the water had subsided a great deal by 5 p.m.

“I don’t think there’s been any panic,” Dixon said. “Everyone understands it’s better to err on the side of caution.”

The Marshy Hope Creek, which runs through town, overflowed its banks, and children waded in hip-deep water.

Federalsburg received between 10 and 12 inches of rain overnight. Some church services were canceled Sunday, and parishioners helped to clean out flooded basements.

Janice Todd, 47, helped haul soggy carpet out of the basement of Park Lane Church of God.

“We had to rip carpets out of two rooms,” she said. “We’ve had just a little bit of damage — nothing we won’t overcome.”

One family confronted the possibility of a difficult loss. Terry Cheesman, 47, and his 14-year-old daughter, Ashley, said their pony, a 14-year-old named Misty, was missing. But they were helping their church and their neighbors before beginning to look for her.

“I was crying. I was real upset,” Ashley Cheesman said. “We’re just hoping she’s found higher ground. We just have to help our neighbors first.”

Billy Hepperle was helping his parents clean up Mom & Pop’s Place, the pool hall and bar they own on Main Street. He said water ran down a hill across the street from the bar and through the front door, but he expected the bar, which is closed Sundays, to be open for business on Monday.

“We got lucky because a lot of stuff didn’t get damaged, just some carpet around the bar,” Hepperle said.

Talbot County was more fortunate, although National Weather Service Observer John Swaine Jr., who makes his measurements from Royal Oak, recorded 5.6 inches of rain. While flash flooding caused several roads to close Sunday morning, only Deep Branch Road and Island Creek Road remained closed by Sunday evening, a Talbot County Emergency Management Agency dispatcher said.

In Dorchester County, water levels in areas surpassed the tops of cars and stop signs, Emergency Management Director Wayne Robinson said, as creeks overflowed from the sudden rainfall.

First Sgt. Russell Newell, a spokesman for the Maryland State Police, said at least 20 Dorchester County roads were closed.

He said Route 307, a state road, has been completely washed out in a large section down to the gravel. He said the road will have to be completely rebuilt in order to be used again.

“It is quite a serious situation,” he said. “There’s a lot of roads that have been disabled due to heavy rains and flooding.”

Several roads will likely remain shut down for weeks due to damage, Robinson noted.

Dick Newcomb, who lives on Mt. Zion Road near Skinner’s Run Creek in Dorchester County, said he pulled three cars off Skinner’s Run Road with his tractor. After talking to authorities, he eventually left the tractor on the road to prevent people from trying to navigate the flooded road.

Newcomb noted he saw crawfish leaving the overflowing river in search of dry ground.

A spillway in Galestown suffered some damage, Welsh, the MEMA spokesman, said, but an assessment could not yet be made. MEMA will send out teams this morning to get a better idea of damage in both counties, he added.

“We’re in a very rocky stretch of weather right now, with more bad weather forecasted,” he said.

Federalsburg Police Chief Donald Nagel said everyone had returned to their homes by Sunday evening with the exception of people on the east side of Main Street. Most of the water had subsided by Sunday evening. A MEMA command center remained to handle problems.

Lightning caused multiple scattered outages throughout the area Saturday night and heavy rains and wind brought additional outages Sunday, Choptank Electric Cooperative spokesman Anne Whaples said.

The Federalsburg substation lost power about 7:45 a.m. due to transmission problems experienced by Delmarva Power, Whaples aid. Trees and broken poles on Delmarva lines rendered the station powerless.

At the height of the outage, 1,300 Choptank members in the Federalsburg area and northern Dorchester area were without power.

Most people had power back by 2 p.m., Whaples said, but about 175 members were still out at 4 p.m. Significant flooding in the Federalsburg area hampered repairs.

The American Red Cross set up shelters in both Hurlock and Federalsburg, but they were not extensively used. The Red Cross left both towns by Sunday evening.

Welsh, the MEMA spokesman, said there were reports of 4 to 5 feet of water in parts of northern Dorchester and southern Caroline County. He also said a spillway in Galestown near the Delaware state line was at risk of giving way, but that no one would be in danger if the spillway gave. He said the Maryland Department of the Environment was sending engineers to inspect it.

The Maryland Department of Natural Resources sent boats to assist in rescue operations if necessary, Welsh said.

Mike Zeigler, an assistant director of the Maryland Emergency Management Agency, said there were some evacuations in the Galestown area of Dorchester County. A Maryland National Guard UH-60 helicopter has been deployed to survey flooded areas on the Eastern Shore.

In Seaford, Del., Amy Walls, a spokesman for the city, said between 10 and 15 people were evacuated from homes in an area known for flooding. She also said flooding caused some cars to get stuck at intersections, and city officials were urging people to stay off the streets.

Associated Press Writers Kristen Wyatt in Federalsburg and Brian Witte in Baltimore contributed to this report.

Pics:
RR Ave:

River road

Bridge-

I left out some pics because I dont have the time.  

http://stardem.com/article.asp?paper=1&cat=1&article=17278
Sadly you need register.

« Last Edit: Jun 26th, 2006, 5:10pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
emorygrove

« Reply #103 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 5:46pm »

From the tv there appears to be a bridge washout at Williamsburg, MD (outside of Federalsburg).  Washout aside, the track looks to be in good shape, well ballasted with good ties, etc.  What is the traffic on this line anymore?

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #104 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 7:01pm »

on Jun 26th, 2006, 5:46pm, emorygrove wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From the tv there appears to be a bridge washout at Williamsburg, MD (outside of Federalsburg).  Washout aside, the track looks to be in good shape, well ballasted with good ties, etc.  What is the traffic on this line anymore?

Yeah, the bridge seems to be gone. I saw a vid of it on WBOC somewhere.  
Most of the tracks in really good shape. Well it was... From the pics and video it seems most of the tracks held well...  
On the Seaford line it really depends,(The flooded one) Its as needed, weekdays only. Its possible to see 10-20 car trains on Average, and sometimes even longer depending on how much is needed by Purdue in Hurlock and other customers. They could run all 5 days, or no days, I always call the night before to find it. And they also normally will tell me where there heading to for the day. The only bad this is they start really early! (7:00-7:30)

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #105 on: Jul 24th, 2006, 12:20pm »

Caught the MDDE today, And CF7 2628 was running! 1203 was in the shops getting some sort of work done... Ill post pics later tonight.  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #106 on: Jul 25th, 2006, 11:05am »

And here are the pics-

And a small ok vid-
http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c35/BCandA/?action=view&current=MDDE2628Idling.flv
I dont know why photobucket made some of them so small.....  

« Last Edit: Jul 25th, 2006, 11:08am by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #107 on: Aug 16th, 2006, 8:47pm »

Caught the MDDE again the 14th... 2628 was the power, 1203 is still in the shops it seems...

Outside the Shops, She was on the Team track for some reason...

Coming towards the Seaford Yard to get some cars

Closer...

Here I took a vid, Of course I forgot my tripod again...  

Waiting for the NS GP38-2.

Powering up with her cut of cars

The load was 3 boxcars and 2 bulkheads with logs. (I guess there going to be Electrical/telephone poles?)

Back towards Federalsburg

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  cps83106.jpg - 38514 Bytes
« Reply #108 on: Sep 5th, 2006, 4:33pm »

MDDE at carville on Centreville line. 8/31/2006

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/cps83106.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #109 on: Sep 8th, 2006, 5:04pm »

Cool, the Centerville branch is on my to see list... Maybe next day im out of school...  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  1201a.jpg - 98213 Bytes
« Reply #110 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 3:53pm »

MDDE 1202 enroute to Towsend just leaving Massey on May 24th 2006

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (98213 bytes, 1164x787 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 1201a.jpg - 98213 Bytes

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  1202a.jpg - 153348 Bytes
« Reply #111 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 4:05pm »

enroute back to Massey the same day.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (153348 bytes, 1164x787 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 1202a.jpg - 153348 Bytes

www.wwrr.com
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  selbyville9806.jpg - 39612 Bytes
« Reply #112 on: Sep 11th, 2006, 4:10pm »

2632 at the engine house in Selbyville September 6th 2006

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/selbyville9806.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #113 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 5:56pm »

Neat, Is there a good time to catch the trains down there?

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #114 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 6:27pm »

I just happend to be on my way to the beach and saw the engine. No one was around and it was late in the day. I did see the NS on the way back to Harrington but I was late and did not want to take the time to turn around and catch up to it.

www.wwrr.com
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #115 on: Sep 13th, 2006, 9:54pm »

Good to know I dont have to be there at 7-8am to catch um like in Federalsburg, They tend to leave around 8ish there. Then catching them can be a intersting task....

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #116 on: Sep 20th, 2006, 5:59pm »

Just a little reminder that The Excursions in Hurlock are coming up the 7th!  

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian

« Reply #117 on: Sep 21st, 2006, 8:27am »

Thanks,I was wonderig about that. I hope I can get off work. I have wanted to do that for a while now.

www.wwrr.com
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #118 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 3:19pm »

Just got back.  
Nice ride, Weather wasn't that nice though.  
Looking down the line-

2628-

It was a nice ride, Minus the weather... Cold, windy, And wet.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
KENTANDQUEENANNERR
Historian
  MVC-009S.jpg - 40474 Bytes
« Reply #119 on: Oct 7th, 2006, 7:21pm »

The "Eastern Shore Express" leaving for the 2pm run to Federalsburg.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/MVC-009S.jpg
Click Image to Resize

www.wwrr.com
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  ...  60 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »