Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 5:34pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Maryland and Delaware RR
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Maryland and Delaware RR
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  60 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Maryland and Delaware RR  (Read 22996 times)
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Maryland and Delaware RR

« on: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:15pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

The Maryland and Delaware is a 120 Mile Shortline Railroad which is the only surviving near me. I saw some Rails in Cambridge,Md (around 20 min away from me) a while ago and did a google search and it turns out it's a Class 3 shortline with Headquaters in Federalsburg Md.It normally operates a RS3M 1203 or CF7 2628 around Cambridge .I haven't seen the units because I thought it was a Fallen Flag until now.
It serves 2 industrys Corrpack ,Hastings in Cambridge, Many more around the system.
Check out there site http://www.mdde.com/index.html
For a more detailed Map of Cambridge try here
  http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?formtype=address&searchtype=address&country=US&addtohistory=&address=&city=Cambridge&state=Md&zipcode=
I traced it to Dover on Mapquest
It doesn't get much use but my Railfanning goal is to see it !!!.
It's a cool  Shortline which doesn't get in the paper  all that often (i've never seen it in the paper but I may have missed it ).  
It's of Conrail and Penn Centrel Heratige I can't wait to See it for myself.It also has interchanges with NS and CSX.
Like the NDC the have  RS3M's 3 of 'em

BC&A
http://www.mdde.com/index.html
One of my Favorite RRs

« Last Edit: Dec 15th, 2004, 9:31pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

Re: Maryland and Delaware RR

« Reply #1 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 2:47pm »

Heres some sites with more info and pics http://www.trainweb.org/peninsularailfan/mdde_jobscript.html

and another  
http://www.trainweb.org/peninsularailfan/cr_intro.html#Maryland%20&%20Delaware

I can't wait to catch it in action

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:19pm »

Hey, BC, is that the rail line that runs next to US 13 on the Delmarva Peninsula. I drove next tosome railroad for miles last May after I got off the Ches. Bay Bridge/Tunnel on my was to NJ via the ferry at Lewis.
Is this the area that your from. I ask because I'm not familiar with that area.
I sure would like to know which railroad that was originally and what it is now.
         Thanks,
         Bruce

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #3 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:26pm »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 3:19pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey, BC, is that the rail line that runs next to US 13 on the Delmarva Peninsula. I drove next tosome railroad for miles last May after I got off the Ches. Bay Bridge/Tunnel on my was to NJ via the ferry at Lewis.
Is this the area that your from. I ask because I'm not familiar with that area.
I sure would like to know which railroad that was originally and what it is now.
                                       Thanks,
                                       Bruce

Probably I'll check the  Highway maps in a minute.
It was of Penn centrel and Conrail heratige Conrail Formed it in Augast 1977.
I've been near it for my whole life and now just find out about .

« Last Edit: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:30pm by BC_and_A_railway » Logged

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 3:43pm »

Parts of it may have been but most of it would be NS of ex-Conrail,Which may be operated by them on some joint agreement try here http://www.mdde.com/maps.html for a map of the tracks The green lines are very close to US 13 so it was most Likely NS and parts MD&DE

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 4:51pm »

Thanks, BC, that must be the line that I followed for many miles on my way to the  Cape May ferry. I was wondering if that was an old PRR line headed south to the end of the peninsula back in the days of car floats to Norfolk.
Very interesting. I'd sure like to know more about that area.

Regards,  
       Happy Holidays,
       Bruce

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 5:18pm »

on Dec 16th, 2004, 4:51pm, ErieAtlantic7597 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Thanks, BC, that must be the line that I followed for many miles on my way to the  Cape May ferry. I was wondering if that was an old PRR line headed south to the end of the peninsula back in the days of car floats to Norfolk.
Very interesting. I'd sure like to know more about that area.

Regards,  
                                          Happy Holidays,
                                          Bruce

It's now NS and MD&DE of Conrail and Penn centrel heratige The PRR made its mark by going to Easton and Oxford for that line it ran it's last 4-4-0's on that line.
I was on mapquest and did a search on cambridge and came up with 6 potential areas near the track like crossings and a few that follow the rails a little.
I plan to track and scope the areas soon.

Long live the Seaford/Cambridge division of the MD&DE RR.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 5:54pm »

Bruce -
Not to confuse things, but there's also the Delaware Coast Line that runs from its interchange with NS at Georgetown DE to the SPI Pharma antacid factory at Cape Henlopen (very near the Cape May-Lewes ferry terminal).

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Dec 16th, 2004, 9:46pm »

The line parallel to US 13 up the Delmarva penninsula from Cape Charles:

For a while I was working for an engineering company that provided technical advice on this line so I know a few things about it.  My knowlede is from the 1978 to 82 time frame.  

In the late 70's this was the Virginia and Maryland, operated by the Accomack Northhampton Transportation District Commission.  It ran from Pocomoke City, Maryland to Cape Charles Virginia, plus a carfloat across Chesapeake Bay into Norfolk at Little Creek and a connecting track to the Norfolk Southern (the original NS that operated from its namesake city down into eastern North Carolina).  I see that the branch to Kiptopeke from Cape Charles is still shown on Mapquest, but did not remember that it was operated, even in the late 70's.  The ferry ran from Cape Charles, not Kiptopeke.  I notice that the line into Little Ferry is not shown on Mapquest but is shown on the USGS quads in Topozone.  However, given the general level of accuracy of Mapquest on railroads, the absence there may not prove anything.  The Little Creek harbor and ferry terminal is just northeast of the Norfolk Airport.    

Most traffic on the line came by way of the carfloat, if I remember correctly.  

They had one engine and few cars (none?).  At the time it was a struggle to keep in in 10 mph condition.  The hope was to eventually get the tie condition up to be able to operate at 25 mph.  The Commission had no budget whatsoever for new rail.  Fortunately the rail was almost all old 130 PS.  This heavy a rail overcame some of the problems of the poor tie and ballast condition.  The line was also virtually dead straight and flat, so there were no grade issues and few curve problems.  

George

blabey
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #9 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 12:40am »

I may be able to clear up some confusion here.  The rail line alongside the highway between Cape Charles, VA and Pocomoke City, MD is the Eastern Shore Railroad.  This company is owned by the Accomack Northhampton District Transportation Authority.  The track is ex-PRR and was operated by the Virginia & Maryland RR from the summer of 1977 until the fall of 1981 when the Eastern Shore took over.  (The corporate structure of the Virginia & Maryland RR continues today under a new name - the Arkansas & Missouri RR.)  The Maryland & Delaware RR to which you refer was under common ownership with the V&M. (J.A. "Tony" Hannold and others, including me)  The MDDE is currently owned by John Paredes, Eric Calloway, former Hannold-era employees and attorney Ed Banks.  Like the V&M, the MDDE was organized in 1977 to operate ex-PRR lines that didn't get included in Conrail.

blabey
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #10 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 1:25am »

To add to Mr. Harris' comments about the V&M at startup in 1977:
    It's true that the tie condition was simply awful.  When we began operations it took crews 10-11 hours to make the 64-mile trip from Cape Charles to the Conrail interchange at Pocomoke City.  At one point we had a "standing still" derailment in Nassawadox, VA.  The northbound train was stopped ( I think the crew was having lunch) a couple of cars loaded with utility poles toppled over as the rails gave way.  The poles spilled over on the highway causing a hell of a problem.  But it was helpful in getting the attention of the state and freeing up the rehabilitation funding.  With those state grants, we finally caught up on years of PRR deferred maintenance.  Eventually the V&M got the whole line up to 25 mph.  
  Our primary motive power was a group of ex-LIRR high-nose C420's.  We also had two RS-1's and ex-NS T6 Alcos (used on the Little Creek, VA side of the bay).   Alco C420 No. 200 eventually ended up on the Livonia, Avon & Lakeville (where it is now in service as LAL No. 420) One of the C420's ended up on the bottom of Chesapeake Bay when it went off the barge after the Eastern Shore Railroad had taken over from us.  A couple of the other C420's went to the NYSW (now all scrapped).  C420 No. 201 ended up on on the Bufalo Southern RR, where I think it is numbered 2010.  The RS-1's and the T6's went to the Arkansas & Missouri.

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #11 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 1:57am »

To blabey:

Thanks for the update and correction.  I can see that my memory had gotten way off on some things, like the power, but then I was only ever asked about track questions that the ex-CRIP trainmaster that we had doing most of the V&M related work did not know how to answer.  

Eastern Shore Railroad.  Maybe I can keep that in my occasionally sieve like memory.

Also, my 1982 date was wrong. I should have hit 81.   My involvement with the subject ceased in July 1981 when my job unexpectedly dissapeared.  After a few paniced weeks looking for work the stages being: engineering work, reasonably well paid work, who cares what kind of work, can I be sure the paycheck won't bounce? , I got a job doing inspection on a pipeline construction job for a few months, and it was nearly 5 years before I was consistently back into railroad / rail transit related engineering.  

Is the car float operation still going?  Did the track change around the Norfolk Airport ever happen?  At one point we did plans for a major simplification (and reduction in size) of the Little Creek carfloat yard, and if I remember right, changing the location of the car float ramp.  Did that ever happen?

George

ErieAtlantic7597
Historian

« Reply #12 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 8:21am »

Thankyou guys. One and all. I never would have never guessed at all the history that had taken place there as I drove along that rail line on US 13.
Thanks for all the really great old and more recent history of the rail activity on the Delmarva Peninsula. It certainly is interesting to me.
           Happy Holidays to All,
           Bruce

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #13 on: Dec 17th, 2004, 5:03pm »

I agree with bruce I didn't know about that history either.

I saw some of the MD&DE rails earlier and seem to be in very good shape hopefully there be in use for atleast another 25 years. No trains though.

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
CHESSIEMIKE
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #14 on: Dec 27th, 2004, 1:24am »

We've touched on the Eastern Shore Railroad before:
http://forums.railfan.net/forums.cgi?board=GenShorts;action=display;num=1023162097

CHESSIEMIKE

Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #15 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 2:35pm »

Cool link and I thought it was all dead

Guess what i'm doing tommorrow
Getting up a 2-3AM and Going to Federalsburg Md to see the base of operations we'll get there around 6 and hope to catch some MD&DE action!!!
I'll take lot's of pics i'll clean out both memory card to fill up with pics

BC&A RR

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
NS3360
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #16 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 3:44pm »

on Dec 28th, 2004, 2:35pm, BC_and_A_railway wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Cool link and I thought it was all dead

Guess what i'm doing tommorrow
Getting up a 2-3AM and Going to Federalsburg Md to see the base of operations we'll get there around 6 and hope to catch some MD&DE action!!!
I'll take lot's of pics i'll clean out both memory card to fill up with pics

BC&A RR

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics  

Moderates: Traction, ALCO, GVT Short Lines, Short Lines

BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #17 on: Dec 28th, 2004, 11:13pm »

on Dec 28th, 2004, 3:44pm, NS3360 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

I'm looking forward to seeing the pics  

a little change of plan we called the office and they said not much is going on tommorrow except Massey MD to Centerville MD so were heading there early tommorrow nothing will happen unless NS gives them more Cars.And Wednsday well call about Thursday and may or may not go somewhere to catch 'um If i catch any thing be ready for lot's of pics of trains.I hope they work Cambridge soon though so I don't have to go in the car so long.

BC&A RR

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #18 on: Dec 29th, 2004, 11:04pm »

on Dec 28th, 2004, 11:13pm, BC_and_A_railway wrote:       (Click here for original message)

a little change of plan we called the office and they said not much is going on tommorrow except Massey MD to Centerville MD so were heading there early tommorrow nothing will happen unless NS gives them more Cars.And Wednsday well call about Thursday and may or may not go somewhere to catch 'um If i catch any thing be ready for lot's of pics of trains.I hope they work Cambridge soon though so I don't have to go in the car so long.

BC&A RR

That trip never happned due to a alarm clock faluire I slept till 9:30 then.
Tommorrow we may make a trip tommorrow morning but i'm not sure when or where and it's 11PM at night already .No garentee on the trip though if we don't go tommorrow well call the office and find out where the action is the office people are very nice and helpful there they seem Railfan friendly too.Either way i'll see them soon hopefully.

BC&A RR

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
BC_and_A_railway

View Profile   WWW  

DSCF0052.jpg - 130296 Bytes
« Reply #19 on: Dec 30th, 2004, 8:04pm »

Went out this morning and were planning on just tracing the rails and looking for good  photo oppertunities.So we called the office and they were operating Federalsburg to Hurlock.We were neer there and Saw a headlight it was 1203 thank goodness I bought my camera!!I got about 20 pics (the memory card got full)And will post most of them.I hope my camera wasn't blury were getting a new one soon.
Also the main road from Hurlock to Federalsburg Follows the tracks very close a jump out of the car and you have some pics they don't go fast either

Pic one in Hurlock we catch 1203 at a lesierly spped going to purdue to pick up some cars.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (130296 bytes, 1280x960 pixels)

Click Here to View Image DSCF0052.jpg - 130296 Bytes

Regards,
Dayton Blair
| Flickr. |
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  60 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »