Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Nov 20th, 2017, 6:50am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Eastern Rail Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Penn Eastern Rail Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Eastern Rail Line  (Read 17071 times)
IronHorse
Railfan
View Profile  

Re: Penn Eastern Rail Line

« Reply #60 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 12:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Interesting items from PennDOT's Rail-Freight Assistance Program:

Bucks County:

--  Building Materials Corp. of America, Richland Township, $100,000, for the construction of track and six turnouts to enhance loading and unloading operations at the renovated roofing manufacturing facility.
    --  East Penn Railways, Inc., Perkasie Borough and East Rockhill Township, $100,100, to continue maintenance of a 16-mile section of railroad that serves Shelly Enterprises.

Montgomery County:
    --  Lansdale Warehouse Co., Inc., Hatfield, $40,000, for track rehabilitation and building modifications to allow for 90' railcars at the warehouse.
    --  Penn Eastern Rail Lines, Inc., $143,000, for maintenance work over 27 miles of track to handle anticipated increases in freight traffic.

There could be more that affect EPRY that i don't know about.

Source, More Info : http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/08-04-2005/0004083082&EDATE

"On the Reading's Bethlehem Branch"
rob216
Historian

« Reply #61 on: Aug 10th, 2005, 10:31pm »

Here is some more since they now own the Octoraro line and the lines up to the steel plant.

Chester County:
    --  ISG Plate, Inc., Coatesville, $165,000, track rehabilitation at the
   steel-making facility.
    --  ISG Railway, Inc., Coatesville, $250,000, track rehabilitation and
   rail replacement within the Coatesville Yard to enhance service to
   the steel plant and seven other shippers located on the Octoraro
   branch.

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
EPRY7874
Chaser

« Reply #62 on: Aug 21st, 2005, 10:12pm »

The 7836 is sitting in Avondalementio on the passing siding, it appears to be Out of Service. As for the above ned customers on the Octoraro are as follows, McGeary Grain, Schagrin Gas, Coastal Lumber, and Herrs Foods in Nottingham.

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
Hand_Brake_Applied
Banned User
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #63 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 9:22am »

As a former Octr employee i have to ask,when did coastal start?Are they located at the former Tipton trucking site?Or is Tipton still there and using rail service?Is there any more on Tastycake using rail service?

Terror must be maintained or the empire is doomed.
rob216
Historian

« Reply #64 on: Aug 22nd, 2005, 11:28pm »

I am not too sure when Coastal started in there, but they are next to Tipton Trucking.  As far as I know, Tipton has not used the rail line for some years for any kind of transport.  That also goes for Tastycake.  I don’t think the line was ever used after it was installed.  I think it was originally going to serve Coke when they first moved there.

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Hand_Brake_Applied
Banned User
Chaser
View Profile  

« Reply #65 on: Aug 23rd, 2005, 9:39am »

Ok so Coastal is where Keystone wood treating was.The line up to the Tastycake plant was supposed to be a Pepsi plant,this was my first lesson in "believe it when you see it".It was later used by Emerald foods who were part of Keebler industries.They used to get hoppers of potato flakes,its too bad it never took off.We only got a few cars a year before the plant was shut down over union activities.The real shame of it is Solo cup was going to build a new plant on a farm west of oxford when the president of Solo read of the union troubles and pulled the plug.The Octr,the DV always seemed to have trouble of some kind.I have been told the old Octr branch was built through and old indian burial ground and was cursed for it and thats the reason it never really took off for its builders or later operators.Makes you wonder though if it dont have some truth to it.

Terror must be maintained or the empire is doomed.
The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #66 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 12:04pm »

See that EPRY is scrapping that PCC(Septa) car down in Topton

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #67 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 12:36pm »

From what I have seen is that the one PRL U-boat sits in Avondale (at the former station) where the crew office is. The siding west of the station holds 3 ex Southern Pacific U-boats. Sorry If I call them U-boats and they are not. Its just that they look like them. Not to mention some track equipment. I was also not aware that PRL has purchased the W&N. So we have the Delaware Valley back but this time its PRL. I think PRL will do a good job with the line. If anyone gets a chance throw in some pics. I would love to see this new operation.

-John

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now." - The Blues Brothers
Charlie_O
Historian
  EPRY_7874_7811.jpg - 132407 Bytes
« Reply #68 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 4:44pm »

on Aug 24th, 2005, 12:36pm, John_S. wrote:       (Click here for original message)
From what I have seen is that the one PRL U-boat sits in Avondale (at the former station) where the crew office is. The siding west of the station holds 3 ex Southern Pacific U-boats. Sorry If I call them U-boats and they are not. Its just that they look like them. Not to mention some track equipment. I was also not aware that PRL has purchased the W&N. So we have the Delaware Valley back but this time its PRL. I think PRL will do a good job with the line. If anyone gets a chance throw in some pics. I would love to see this new operation.

-John

Are these the units in question?  Saw them at Chadds Ford PA recently.

-Charlie

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/EPRY_7874_7811.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #69 on: Aug 24th, 2005, 4:47pm »

YES!!! WHOA they look good. Glad to see some matching power for the 2 rail lines.  

-John

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now." - The Blues Brothers
RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #70 on: Aug 25th, 2005, 2:11pm »

Wow! They look nice! Great catch Charlie!

-Jeff

engineer
Enthusiast

« Reply #71 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 5:20pm »

east penn needs you help.

we at the epry are always happy to see railfans out chasing and photographig us on the octoraro and brandywine [wilmington & northern] but we need you help in finding the person who goes by the kodak kidd it seems this person taged our unit in chadds ford and it made the division superentendent go through the roof. if any one can help  please feel free to contact us either on this site or at our avondale headquarters on west state st. let's not let one person ruin it for everyone else.

east penn railways octoraro division staff

« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2005, 7:05pm by engineer » Logged

nobody rides on my train without a ticket!!!!!
rob216
Historian

« Reply #72 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 7:38pm »

What exactly do you need us to do?  I'm from the Oxford area and I am always looking out along the line for the work that is being done on the line.  Glad to see work being done on the line.  But I do frequent visit  the line from the Elk View viaduct down to Herr's.  But I am willing to help in anyway.

EPRY7874
Chaser

« Reply #73 on: Oct 4th, 2005, 10:25pm »

What Engineer is refering to is an incident that occured last weekend. A "railfan" graffittied one of our B-30-7's that was sitting at Chadds Ford Junction.  This so called "railfan"  signed his work by the alias of the Kodak Kidd. We  worked extremely hard to restore these locomotives to service and spent many hours in the hot blazing sun sanding and wire cupping and painting these locomotives and it is a real kick in the face to us for some  scumbag to deface our property. If anyone knows who the  Kodak Kidd is, please reply notify us immediately. We have always been an extremely railfan friendly operation, but in the wake of this incident it is difficult to remain so. And the railfan community wonders why they are meetiing so much resistance from the railroads and local law enforcement agency's.  It is stupid juvenile stunts like this that make the railroads wary of railfan activity. Any information in this matter would be greatly appreciated!!

East Penn Railways Octoraro Division Staff

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
rob216
Historian
  PRL_logo.gif - 3174 Bytes
« Reply #74 on: Oct 13th, 2005, 11:35pm »

Little something I did in my free time.   Had nothing else to do that night.  

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/PRL_logo.gif
Click Image to Resize

adam17
Former Member

« Reply #75 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 1:04am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Here's a pic of EPRY's GP10 #7554. It's where I used to live (the road anyway.. Station Rd. ). This engine has TWO different horns, one for NB runs, and one for SB runs. They both sound great. I think the NB horn sounds better... IMO.

http://charyna.homeunix.com/trains/PerkBranch/20041006/IMG_9343.jpg

Some more at the main link: http://charyna.homeunix.com/trains/PerkBranch/20041006.html

Also... I found a link to a site that lists the roster of PRL/EPRY.
Here: http://www.erixpix.com/shorts/prl/roster/index.html

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2005, 1:08am by adam17 » Logged
adam17
Former Member

« Reply #76 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 1:10am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

on Oct 13th, 2005, 11:35pm, rob216 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Little something I did in my free time.   Had nothing else to do that night.  

Thats not such a bad logo. Loose the PA backround image and keep the keystone part.

rvrrhs
TRAINing

« Reply #77 on: Oct 14th, 2005, 9:55pm »

on Oct 14th, 2005, 1:10am, adam17 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Thats not such a bad logo. Loose the PA backround image and keep the keystone part.

I agree!  

Remember the Rahway Valley Railroad. Join the RVRRHS.

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #78 on: Nov 4th, 2005, 11:01am »

When does East Penn plan on having their new diesel on the Quakertown line operational? Also, what is the plan for the RS1?

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #79 on: Nov 16th, 2005, 3:21pm »

There was a flurry of activity when I was in Perkasie yesterday. I wonder what was up?

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »