Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 22nd, 2017, 9:21pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Eastern Rail Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Penn Eastern Rail Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Eastern Rail Line  (Read 16992 times)
The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

Re: Penn Eastern Rail Line

« Reply #40 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 2:31am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Thankyou very much guys fot the info. I had heard on that East Penn excursion ride on the Q-Town branch back in May that the lumber place in Perkasie gets their lumber in by rail from somewhere else and transloads it to the site. any one have truth to that? Thanks alot again guys for the info.

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

RN-16
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #41 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 4:05pm »

on Jan 6th, 2005, 6:59pm, prr9137 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The 57 in the pictures above is not out of service, it was sent to Boyertown. We used it on that branch while repairs were made to the 52. We also have another 57 in Quakertown that is a RS-1, that unit has been out of service for about 3 years. In Q-town the train crews run as needed. There are 3 customers. GAF roofing in Q-town, Fibermark in Q-town, and Frisco in Telford

My mistake. I thought the Geep #57 was OOS. Sorry about that.

-Jeff

prr9137
TRAINing

« Reply #42 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 7:06pm »

Shelly lumber in Perkasie is building a new site in Q-town. The site will be served by rail. This will be a good bit of new traffic for us.    Don

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #43 on: Jan 7th, 2005, 9:21pm »

Thanks as always Don for the info.

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

rob216
Historian

« Reply #44 on: Jan 21st, 2005, 10:10pm »

Was there a derailment on the Octoraro line Jan 21st.?  I was listen to the scanner at my fire house and thought that I heard something about in Kennett.  Not sure how much damage was done or what all was involved.

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #45 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 4:27am »

There was another derailment on the Octoraro Branch near MP 30. 3 cars (Covered Hopper, Box and Bulkhead Flat with Lumber load)on the ground, rail and ties chewed up. The U23 hit a small washout and the track sank and the first car derailed and chewed up the ties as it went along, the rails had no support left and spread under the following cars.   Took a little while to rerail everything. Track repaired and back in operation by Monday past.

As was prior, trackage on this former PRR line is bad. Ties are past prime and the deferred maintenence of 25+ years is showing. Octoraro Railway routinely had derailments on this line. East Penn has their work cut out for them. They are focusing on replacing ties and brush cutting on this line and possible purchase of the W&N Branch and new engine house in the future.

rob216
Historian

« Reply #46 on: Feb 24th, 2005, 7:21pm »

Well they were running down the line today from what I saw at my local firehouse.  They had an empty load of cars that they were pulling from Herr's and also some from the lumber yard.   I heard someone say something that TastyCake in Oxford was going to start useing the rails soon.  Anyone know anything of that or did I hear wrong?

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #47 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 3:10pm »

I believe that the one Septa forum on the Ocatoro branch mentions something to that effect. The one response to me on the last page mentioned a place called Frisco that is served by EPRY. Who is Frisco?

prr9137
TRAINing

« Reply #48 on: Feb 28th, 2005, 8:42pm »

Fresco is on the Q-town branch at Telford. I have not heard anything about Tastycake as of this day. One can only hope.  Don

rob216
Historian
  04210004.jpg - 113655 Bytes
« Reply #49 on: Apr 21st, 2005, 10:28pm »

Well here is a pic of a tamper on the Octoraro line down in Oxford. I took this today as I was driving around the town.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (113655 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image 04210004.jpg - 113655 Bytes

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #50 on: Jun 3rd, 2005, 1:39am »

The Perkiomen Branch-or as i like to call it, " the branch that runs between the trees"
In the Lehigh Valley region of Pennsylvania where i live, the Perkiomen Branch of the Penn Eastern Rail Lines is my favorite line. Most of the 15 mile line is surrounded by woods which is why i call it the above mentioned title. Also, most of the line is just running through areas, no stop and go, stop and go, every half-mile or so to serve a customer. Ya it would be nice if the Perk branch would get some other customer(s) down the line, but i think them having only three customers and all their customers being based in the same area is great. Cause from Emmaus to the E. Greenville area, it's just running without stopping(except for the run-around i believe up near Emmaus). Plus the tunnel(never seen it yet in person). Such a great line in how it always seems to be running in the middle of nowhere. To top it all off, tank cars filled with cocoa butter from Bloomer,mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, God Forbid(no relation to the band of the same name) that one of those ever breaks open, especially on the Perk Branch where the line is surrounded most of the way by woods, if one of them does on the Perk Branch, the critters from the woods surrounding the line would be happy.

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #51 on: Jun 4th, 2005, 6:01pm »

Anybody know about that landscaping place at the end of the Perk branch, i see they have boxcars next to their place right where the track ends and the boxcar doors are open with bricks and cement bags inside of which the landcaping place sells. Does the landscaping place use the PRL boxcars for storage or for getting stuff shipped in. Cause i guess the PRL has boxcars on that branch for a reason, unless they just store them there and then let the landscaping place store some of their bags of cement and mulch plus bricks inside. Also, can anybody shed some darness on the siding that goes to the subsation that has been long defunct. I like how the grade crossing signs are still up but yet there is no grade crossing.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #52 on: Jun 27th, 2005, 10:22am »

Have noticed lately that PRL/EPRy has been buying up li'l stretches of industrial RR all around southeastrern PA... including the ex-Pennsy Octoraro and the ex-Reading Willmington & Northern branch.

EPRY/PRL now seems to encompass:
Kutztown Br. (ex-RDG)
Perkiomen Br. (ex-RDG)
Boyertown-Barto Br. (ex-RDG)
Lancaster & Northern (ex-RDG)
Chester Valley RR (UMP) (ex-RDG)
Bethlehem Br. (Lansdale to Quakertown) (ex-RDG)
Octoraro Br. (ex-PRR)
Wilmington & Northern Br. (ex-RDG)

A side note...

Was tubing down the Brandywine this weekend with wife and friends and our end point was at the Northbrook station, where an old caboose and flatcar remain (part of what was once the Delaware Valley RR).  Am told that traffic still comes down the line from the ISG steel mill at Coatesville and that PRL recently acquired the line from ISG's Brandywine Valley RR.  Quite a history.

Was wondering if anyone knew when I could photo traffic along the line ...either at the Coatesville-Modena end, or farther down near Embreeville, Northbrook, or Pocopson.
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
rob216
Historian

« Reply #53 on: Jun 28th, 2005, 8:24pm »

Well I know they usually run on Tuesdays and Thursdays on the Octoraro line.  But in the past month or so, they have been running on Mondays and Wednesday. Now for the other part from Wilmington to Coatsville,  Im not sure on that.  Did they move more power down to the area for it, or leasing some power for the line?

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #54 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 10:13am »

I was in Quakertown yesterday and I noticed a new diesel locomotive. It was a B23-7. I know you are probably thinking I'm refering to the ex-Geometry train Conrail unit but the one I saw was an ex-SP unit, #5114. Anyone know what the story is on this one?

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
IronHorse
Railfan
View Profile  

« Reply #55 on: Jul 27th, 2005, 4:25pm »

I saw that too, on monday.  A quick search found a photo and  information.  More info needed if anyone knows

Photo:
http://www.trainweb.org/arkansastrains/railroad/sp/058134.htm

Info:  SP 5114 (B23-7), retired 12/26/01  

from http://www.trainweb.org/utahrails/up/1lupr.html

"On the Reading's Bethlehem Branch"
wrg113
Railfan
  Picture015.jpg - 41568 Bytes
« Reply #56 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 7:41am »

I was in Q-Town again yesterday afternoon and was able to get a picture of the new unit as well as a shot of a high rail truck passing through the grade crossing at Hellertown Ave.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/Picture015.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wrg113
Railfan
  Picture016.jpg - 42884 Bytes
« Reply #57 on: Jul 29th, 2005, 7:42am »

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/Picture016.jpg
Click Image to Resize

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #58 on: Aug 1st, 2005, 1:49pm »

Here's another question I have. When is the new Shelly lumber facility scheduled to open and how many railcars a week are expected to come in and out of there?

cetane
TRAINing

« Reply #59 on: Aug 3rd, 2005, 9:35pm »

I've been wondering exactly what's been going on along this line for well over a year. I knew about EPRY purchasing the line earlier this year, but until last week I hadn't seen or heard any activity since sometime last fall. I've now seen activity pretty much since last Thursday (July 28th), when I noticed the two B30s near the Rt. 1 crossing. My research to date:  

_Roster_

EPRY 7874 B30-7
 EPRY 7811 B30-7
 [I've actually seen and photographed these two]

PRL 2206 U23B
 [per Erixpix.com]

_Lines_

The "Octoraro Branch" (Originally the Philadelphia and Baltimore Central Railroad, eventually PRR, PC) from Chadds Ford Junction (MP 26.98) to the PA/MD Border near Nottingham, PA (MP 54.49.) Bought from SEPTA. [per stb.dot.gov]

The Wilmington and Northern Branch (eventually Reading) between Modena, PA (MP 29.72) and Elsmere Junction (MP 1.89.) Bought from ISG Plate (North of PA/DE line) and Reading Company (South of PA/DE line)
 [per stb.dot.gov]

_Interchanges_

NS (Amtrak Harrisburg Line) at Coatesville, PA
 CSXT (Philadelphia Sub) at Elsmere Jct. / Wilsmere Yard

_Frequencies_
 Road: 160.935
 [per 2002 Police Call, confirmed by me]
 Oddly, this frequency doesn't appear in the FCC Database. Forgot to renew their license?

_Customers_
 Herrs Foods, Nottingham, PA
 ISG Plate (ex Lukens Steel), Coatesville, PA
 McGeary Grain, Avondale, PA [added]
 Coastal Lumber, Oxford, PA [added]
 Shagrin Gas, Kennett? [added]

This site (http://www.erixpix.com/shorts/prl/roster/) also shows another B30-7 (7836) as assigned to this line, but I have not yet seen it or heard it mentioned on the radio. My guess is it's MU'd with 2206. The two B30s are usually parked just south of Rt. 1, just north of Chadds Ford Junction, on the W&N branch, exactly where I used to see Octoraro Railway units parked many years ago.  

My guess at this point is that 7874 and 7811 operate on the W&N branch (N-S), while 2206 operates the P&BC Branch (E-W). The crew is usually warming up when I pass at about 7:45 AM, and are blocking the day's trains (probably what was pulled up from CSX the day before) by 8. They're usually done between 5:30 and 6:30 PM.  

« Last Edit: Aug 28th, 2005, 1:35pm by cetane » Logged
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »