Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Aug 16th, 2017, 5:27pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Eastern Rail Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Penn Eastern Rail Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Eastern Rail Line  (Read 17043 times)
EPRY7874
Chaser
Re: Penn Eastern Rail Line

« Reply #200 on: Aug 24th, 2008, 11:37am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

That caboose was sold by John Nolan to the New York and Greenwood Lake Railroad

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

PRL_007.jpg - 124436 Bytes
« Reply #201 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 10:30pm »

Hey, guys. If any of you know Chris Signorelli, I'm his brother, Jeremy. I live about two miles from the Sinking Spring branch of the PRL where U23B 2204 hauls freights and have even chased some freights on bike! Anyway, I caught a few shots of the NYGL caboose (ex-LV) while it was in Denver before they hauled it away. This is at Locust St. in Denver.

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (124436 bytes, 1024x766 pixels)

Click Here to View Image PRL_007.jpg - 124436 Bytes

PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

PRL_012ed.jpg - 146912 Bytes
« Reply #202 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 10:47pm »

Here's another shot...

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (146912 bytes, 1024x766 pixels)

Click Here to View Image PRL_012ed.jpg - 146912 Bytes

PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

PRL_013.jpg - 110654 Bytes
« Reply #203 on: Sep 5th, 2008, 10:59pm »

A "patriotic shot."

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/PRL_013.jpg
Click Image to Resize

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #204 on: Sep 7th, 2008, 7:48pm »

Thats a former Erie Caboose, not LV.

PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #205 on: Sep 13th, 2008, 10:55am »

Actually, I thought it was too, and I was pretty sure of it, but when I talked with one of the crew of the 2204 one day (Brian), he said LV. I think it's Erie, too.

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008, 8:44am by PRL2204 » Logged
MH765
Historian

« Reply #206 on: Sep 13th, 2008, 7:20pm »

on Nov 19th, 2007, 12:48am, NHIWW wrote:       (Click here for original message)
The best chances of any type of excursion on the W&N or the Octoraro Branch would be if the EPRY re-created the relationship that the Octoraro Rwy had with the Wilmington & Western which ran excursions with W&W supplied equipment in the 80's & 90's. They are the closest supply of equipment to the EPRY.  

Doing so would eliminate the need for securing crews & equipment. Then again, those excursions benefited the W&W, not the Octoraro...so, it depends on what the owners of the EPRY would want.

There were issues with the ROW that stopped the W&W excursions in the 90's...some of those issues were dealt with when DV took over from Octoraro, but mainly in PA since that trackage was owned by PennDot which is why the BSRY was able to run excursions...the W&N below the state line was not up to class 1 standards for Passenger trains.  

How about using the Reading (FP7s) 902 and 903? A trip from Coatesville to Elsmere Yard might be possible... at least on the PRL portion. Coaches could be leased from the Morristown & Erie (minus the Comet cars)...

Heck even a Coatesville to Greenbank trip would be really impressive (use CSX and W&W tracks), but that's just one of my "just dreamin'" things.

"NS H86, Main Line over!"
PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

GenShorts/PRL.doc (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #207 on: Sep 26th, 2008, 8:41am »

Hey, guys. It would neat to see the Sinking Spring Branch of the PRL do some excursions like the Perk Branch did. I asked the crew on the Sinking Spring branch on one occasion if they would be able to, but he replied that insurance costs would be too much... Wouldn't just two weekends of passenger excursions from Reinholds to the end of the line in Stevens be inexpensive?    

« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2008, 8:42am by PRL2204 » Logged
EPRY7874
Chaser

« Reply #208 on: Sep 30th, 2008, 8:24pm »

The current management does not really want to run passenger trips. The fistfight, trespassing on neighbors land and people standing on freight cars to get pictures on the Reading F Perk trips killed it for everyone!

« Last Edit: Oct 1st, 2008, 4:23pm by rob216 » Logged

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
rwk
Historian

« Reply #209 on: Oct 1st, 2008, 1:59am »

But I heard train rides are coming back to Emmaus for 2009, Emmaus' anniversary celebration, not sure what motive power or how far they're going from Emmaus, all the way to Pennsburg Station or not as far. It's too bad that EPRY/PRL has little to no interest in passenger excursions, because they own a bunch of old Reading branches that would be perfect for excursions, Quakertown, Sinking Spring branch, Octoraro, W&N, etc. The Octoraro and W&N are long stretches of track that would make for a nice all-day railfan trip, if only the track was up to snuff for passenger trains and PRL would permit it. If somehow W&W could get permission to move a steam train across the CSX yard between the W&W and W&N to run special excursions up the W&N and perhaps the Octoraro toward Nottingham. Would make for a very long excursion if they could go from Greenville to Nottingham and return. Of course, the train would board on the W&N, like Greenville like they did in the 80's, not at Greenbank due to hauling people through the CSX yard, they might have a problem with that. But, CSX might be more receptive to moving an empty train a mile, but isn't it all friction bearing, the DL&W Boonton coaches and locos? This is all a pipe dream. Reading and Northern is a perfect example of a regional/short line railroad which hauls freight and runs long excursions plus the Lehigh Gorge Scenic. R&N is the opposite of EPRY, they are very willing to run railfan trips and excursions for the general public on a regular basis. Plus, their steam, 425 is back.

EPRY7874
Chaser

« Reply #210 on: Oct 8th, 2008, 10:01pm »

Our track is all Class 1

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #211 on: Oct 10th, 2008, 9:25pm »

W&W moves steam over CSX every year for the Festival in Wilmington. It HAD to do with poor track conditions when the W&W stopped excursions in the late 80's, now it just is up to ownership of said lines to make the call.

W&W has the ability to move through the yard for what is needed, its not operations on main line trackage, its yard trackage. The only main line they technically run on is Amtrak and that is limited. Can't say steam doesn't ply the rails of the corridor at least once a year... *when trasportation day takes place*

PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #212 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 7:59am »

on Feb 11th, 2004, 8:49pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As long as we're talking about the PRL...

A recent photo on RailPictures.net shows PRL units at Reading.  They usually don't get past Sinking Spring.  Any ideas on what brought them this far.  Special move perhaps?

-Charlie

PS - Here's an old b/w pic I took of the Geep at Reinholds...
Funny, I wasn't railfanning when I took this; I just liked the way the old engine looked with the broom.

Hey, Mr. O'Hay. I know the PRL crew because I live two miles from the Sinking Spring branch. I was talking to them one day, and they said that they have trackage rights up to Reading, and run up to Bethelehem.

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2008, 8:42am by PRL2204 » Logged
PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #213 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 8:04am »

on Apr 20th, 2004, 5:56pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Here's what I gathered from Railpace...

The PRL moves freight Monday-Wednesday-Friday.  The line between Sinking Spring to Stevens is only a few miles, so chasing shouldn't be hard.  Crew call is 7 a.m. at Reinholds...they head south as a light engine move to pick up empties at one or more of the lumber customers in Stevens then head north to the NS interchange at Sinking Spring.  Then they return south.  There are other line customers along the route as well.  From what I've read, Fritztown Rd parallels the ROW north of Reinholds, with Xings at Bran Rd, Shearer Rd, and Vinemont.  

Good luck.
-Charlie

Actually, I'm sorry to say, business on the Sinking Spring branch isn't so hot.. Their business is only ONCE a week now, or as needed.. However, if you want to see them in operation, they usually operate Monday or Tuesday for sure.

PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #214 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 8:13am »

on Jun 30th, 2004, 1:04am, ATF1224 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I'm working on a MSTS replica of the PRL between Stevens and Sinking Springs, and then NS from Sinking Spring to Spring Street.

I'm looking for detail photos of the sidings and spurs along the line so I can get it as accurate as possible.  

So far I have the PRL mainline laid between Stevens and Sinking Spring.  I want to get the actual PRL part of the route done before I attempt to model any urban scenery.

Thanks!

Oh, cool! I love my local branch.. If you want close-to-accurate motive power, MSTS MEC U23B #294 from train-sim.com is just about as close as you can get! Also, if you want accurate photos, use google earth or google maps... Thanks for working on the PRL branch, by the way..

« Last Edit: Oct 14th, 2008, 8:43am by PRL2204 » Logged
PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #215 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 8:17am »

on Dec 31st, 2004, 3:05pm, denjct wrote:       (Click here for original message)

This is a frame of a drive by video shooting somewhere near Reading, PA. Does anyone recognize the location? I'm transfering the video to DVD and I want to label it. Thanks

Dave

If I'm not mistaken, the second photo you posted looks like the PRL just exiting their branch onto the NS mainline in Sinking Spring. Hope this helps..

rwk
Historian

« Reply #216 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 6:01pm »

Hey, why is it easier for a short line RR to run freights from it's own trackage to a class 1 like NS, but the same type of movement for a public passenger excursion would be nearly impossible? Like if a excursion train would run from Ephrata or Reinholds to downtown Reading and back, which would involve running on NS from Sinking Spring to Reading. Why wouldn't that work? Liability?

George_Harris
Historian

« Reply #217 on: Oct 14th, 2008, 7:42pm »

on Oct 14th, 2008, 6:01pm, rwk wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Hey, why is it easier for a short line RR to run freights from it's own trackage to a class 1 like NS, but the same type of movement for a public passenger excursion would be nearly impossible? Like if a excursion train would run from Ephrata or Reinholds to downtown Reading and back, which would involve running on NS from Sinking Spring to Reading. Why wouldn't that work? Liability?

You answered your own question.  Liability.  Freight does not sue you.  People sue you.

EPRY7874
Chaser

« Reply #218 on: Oct 16th, 2008, 5:07pm »

PRL2204   We run into Reading only not Bethlehem.

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
PRL2204
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #219 on: Nov 1st, 2008, 12:12am »

on Oct 16th, 2008, 5:07pm, EPRY7874 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
PRL2204   We run into Reading only not Bethlehem.

Oh, sorry! Now that I think back, I think the crew meant that EPRY/PRL operate branch lines in Quakertown.. Thanks for the correction!

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »