Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. May 28th, 2017, 4:17pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Eastern Rail Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Penn Eastern Rail Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Eastern Rail Line  (Read 16994 times)
rwk
Historian
Re: Penn Eastern Rail Line

« Reply #180 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 6:03pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey, it would be great if W&W's steam train could run on the W&N and Octoraro,  perhaps an excursion from Greenbank to Kennett Square or Avondale, or even Oxford or Nottingham. (Wow that would be a LONG excursion!) The problem would be that W&W would have to enter the CSX yard at Landenberg Junction, Elsmere in order to connect with the W&N line north into PA. Not sure if CSX would like that. The W&W did run excursions on the W&N and Octoraro in the 80's, around 86, 87, or 88 and departed from Greenville, DE on the W&N just north of downtown Wilmington. Not sure where they went, I believe it was Kennett Square or South Modena. I believe they used a steam engine and on some a diesel, too. If the track in DE on the W&N is not certified for passenger trains, how were they able to run on the DE portion back then with an excursion? And is it true that SEPTA owns the Octoraro line, that it branched off the West Chester branch at Wawa but a bridge was washed out and the connection at that end was severed? Was or is there any plans for commuter service on the Octoraro?

rob216
Historian

« Reply #181 on: Dec 28th, 2007, 10:25pm »

Anyone know what happened to this engine?  

It was sitting in Kelton.  I can only guess that it was scrapped or is in the process of being scrapped.   And one last question, The people who scrapped the U30B and the dinner car in Oxford, are they going to be brining in more things to get scrapped or was it a one shot deal?

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
rob216
Historian

« Reply #182 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 1:32pm »

Found this up on Ebay today.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320210530672&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT&ih=011

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Railfan Entertainments
Historian

« Reply #183 on: Jan 23rd, 2008, 5:50pm »

WOW . That's amazing. If I had the money and time, I would defently buy it.

www.youtube.com/user/railfanentertainment
rob216
Historian
  S7300045.jpg - 207459 Bytes
« Reply #184 on: Feb 20th, 2008, 10:40pm »

I happened to be in Kennett Square toady and had my camera with me.  So I took a few shots.

First up.  

Next,  2206 waiting to go to work.

7836 looking like it got some paint work done.  Most likely to cover graffiti.

Brandywine Scenic caboose.

Old Octoraro 55

Image exceeds display size of 900 pixels wide. (207459 bytes, 1024x768 pixels)

Click Here to View Image S7300045.jpg - 207459 Bytes

rwk
Historian

« Reply #185 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 2:25am »

Why is East Penn getting rid of the caboose? Is the Kutztown train ride kaput for good?

jim6300loco
TRAINing

« Reply #186 on: Feb 21st, 2008, 5:26pm »

To All,
As Far as I know, East Penn does not own the caboose on the Kutztown branch. It still belongs to The former operator of the Line Mr. John Noland. As you are all aware he has sold Penn Eastern and East Penn.  
As Far as Passenger traffic on the Kutztown Line is concerned. As of right now the new operators have no interest in running passenger excursions. In fact the GP7 and the two coaches are soon headed for the railroad north east of Scranton know as the Stournbridge line at Honesdale, Pa.
The owner of the Line , The Kutztown Transportation Authority would always welcome Passenger train excursions on the Line. However it is up to the contracted operator of the line if that would ever happen.
Jim6300loco

caboose9
Historian

« Reply #187 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 5:40pm »

Brandywine Scenic caboose.

Not much information with the shot of this caboose, but it looks like B&O 903785/BSRR C-3785.  This is/was owned by Randy Sommers and was in Pocopson, PA, at one time.  Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
caboose9
Historian

« Reply #188 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 5:44pm »

Speaking of Kutztown, PA, steel, cupola, CNJ 91545 caboose, owned by Walter Matuch, was stored there but reported to be "going to Bayonne, NJ".  Did the car make the trip to Jersey?  Thanks, Roger

S. Roger Kirkpatrick, Cortez, CO - Gateway to Mesa Verde National Park
jim6300loco
TRAINing

« Reply #189 on: Feb 24th, 2008, 6:50pm »

Walter Matuch's CNJ caboose is located on his farm somewhere in New Jersey.
jim

rob216
Historian

« Reply #190 on: Apr 6th, 2008, 3:04pm »

GOVERNOR RENDELL ANNOUNCES $10 MILLION INVESTMENT IN RAIL FREIGHT

03/26/2008  
 HARRISBURG – Governor Edward G. Rendell today announced the investment of $10.2 million in rail freight infrastructure in an effort to help create and maintain jobs at expanding businesses throughout the commonwealth. The 38 grants are part of PennDOT’s rail freight assistance program.

“Rail freight provides a dependable and efficient method for moving goods around Pennsylvania and provides an important link to the global marketplace,” Governor Rendell said. “This investment will help stimulate economic development, while also preserving and improving the commonwealth’s rail system.”

Chester County
- Hyponex will receive $250,000 for construction of a rail siding and an unloading facility to serve a fertilizer plant along East Penn Railroad’s Octoraro Branch.
- ISG Plate Inc. will receive $197,250 for reconstruction of yard track at a steel processing facility.

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/Internet/pdNews.nsf/PressOfficeHome?OpenFrameset&Frame=main&src=currentyear?openview

All I can say is that its about time Hyponex did this.  The truck traffic is bad on the main road in front of them.

rob216
Historian

« Reply #191 on: Apr 20th, 2008, 9:45am »

I took a ride out to Kennett Square on Sat. the 19th and found a few new things in the yard.

Also, Where is 2206?  I see that 7874 has been doing the line work, but haven't seen 2206.

« Last Edit: Apr 20th, 2008, 9:47am by rob216 » Logged

rob216
Historian

« Reply #192 on: Apr 21st, 2008, 6:23pm »

Some more shots of me being out and about.  First up is the few cabooses sitting in Pocopson.  Also the siding being rebuilt.  Maybe the guys from the railroad can tell me what the plans are for.

Then I traveled up the line to Embreeville at Route 162 and found EPRY 7811 & PRL 2206 tied down for the day.  Also a few boxcars that have been there for years.

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2008, 7:24pm by rob216 » Logged

wrg113
Railfan

« Reply #193 on: May 16th, 2008, 9:44am »

I have noticed a significant decrease in traffic from Telford to Quakertown recently. The GAF factory is set to close soon if it hasn't closed already. I wonder  what EPRY's plan is for the future of this route?

Take my advice. Don't ever work at a Thomas event.
JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #194 on: May 16th, 2008, 10:50am »

on May 16th, 2008, 9:44am, wrg113 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I have noticed a significant decrease in traffic from Telford to Quakertown recently. The GAF factory is set to close soon if it hasn't closed already. I wonder  what EPRY's plan is for the future of this route?

I'm sure that the EPRY (actually ESPN now) actively tries to recruit new traffic on their lines.  It's a shame about the drop in traffic from GAF, but they weren't even using rail service when EPRY took the line over in the first place.  At least Shelly's is getting lumber up in Q-town now, so that's some traffic.  

I also just read a story that the Hanson Quarry in East Rockhill is reopening (under contract to someone else) for 15 months.  The article only mentioned trucks and not rail, so I don't know if they will be using rail.  Here's a link to the article:

http://www.mcall.com/news/local/all-b1-2erock.6406437may14,0,4329887.story

Quote:

New Jersey firm has lease at East Rockhill Twp. site for 10-20 loads of stone a day.

By Charles Malinchak

Special to The Morning Call

May 14, 2008

Large chunks of East Rockhill Township may find a new home on the beaches of Wildwood, N.J., under a construction company plan to mine stone from a quarry that has been dormant since the early 1980s.

At Tuesday night's township supervisors meeting, township Manager Anne Klepfer said R.E. Pierson Materials Corp. plans to take stone from the quarry on Rockhill Road.

She said no start date was given, but a company representative said they have an 18-month lease for the quarry and plan to take out 10 to 20 trucks per day.

The Vineland, N.J., company plans to use the stone to control beach erosion in Wildwood, Klepfer said.

While the representative said there would be no explosives used, Klepfer said she received correspondence from the state Department of Environmental Protection indicating there would be blasting.

A meeting with company representatives and township officials is scheduled for Thursday morning, where Supervisor Chairman David Nyman said he hoped details would be clarified.

Supervisor John Cressman said the quarry is owned by Hanson Aggregates, which also owns a quarry off Route 611 in Nockamixon Township, and was last used in the early 1980s.

Nyman said the quarry is a permitted use under township laws and if blasting is used, it is hoped the company gives nearby residents adequate notice.

''The quarry is there. It is a fact of life. We just want to make sure residents are informed [of blasting],'' he said.

Cressman said there have been at least four homes built near the quarry and those residents have never experienced it in operation.

Under township laws, the quarry can operate from 7 a.m. to dusk Monday through Saturday and trucks would have to use predetermined routes, which could include Rockhill Road to Route 313 or Rockhill Road to Old Bethlehem Pike.

Nyman said it is conceivable that the company could have 10 to 20 trucks moving out of the quarry six days a week for a year and a half.

JimE

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
rob216
Historian

« Reply #195 on: May 20th, 2008, 8:58pm »

This is what I shot last Thursday. I just happened to be up in Oxford at the time.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=tgGyNekAU8A

Charlie_O
Historian
  SP_5114_Qtown.jpg - 136178 Bytes
« Reply #196 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:10pm »

Heading home today and an accident on I-78 forced a hasty detour thru Hellertown and Quakertown. The silver lining was a peak at vintage power at Q'town. Are these mothballed, parts units, or operable?
-Charlie

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/SP_5114_Qtown.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
Charlie_O
Historian
  EPRY_57_Qtown.jpg - 116416 Bytes
« Reply #197 on: May 27th, 2008, 9:11pm »

...one more...

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/EPRY_57_Qtown.jpg
Click Image to Resize

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
JimE
Railfan
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #198 on: May 27th, 2008, 11:09pm »

Charlie,

Bummer about the accident on I-78, but I'm glad that you made it to Quakertown.  I believe both of those units are indeed operable.  I haven't seen the 57 run in quite some time and although I've been mostly seeing the 3153, I think that the 5114 does occasionally venture out.

Actually, traffic is way down on the line now that the GAF roofing plant closed.  GAF went from planning an expansion to shutting down the whole place.  I haven't seen ESPN interchange with CSX for over a week now.  Usually I see a few cars waiting for CSX in Telford a few times a week, but I've seen nothing for over a week.  Either the traffic isn't there or ESPN/CSX are interchanging during the workday.

Jim

JimE
http://jrevans.fbody.com/trains.html
Matt_E._Lebo
Former Member

« Reply #199 on: Aug 19th, 2008, 7:30am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

Does anyone know where the former Lancaster & Northern caboose went that was on 34M yesterday? I had the misfortune if missing it, so I want to know where it is now. Any clue what train it will be on next and when?

-Matt

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »