Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 24th, 2017, 3:17pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Eastern Rail Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Penn Eastern Rail Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Eastern Rail Line  (Read 16964 times)
EPRY7874
Chaser
Re: Penn Eastern Rail Line

« Reply #160 on: Jul 20th, 2007, 9:14pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Hey Christian
This is George from the M&H, the 2206 was moved to our Octoraro Division at Kennett Square  in 2004.

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
PennRailVideos
Former Member

« Reply #161 on: Aug 14th, 2007, 8:45pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify   Remove

My first time seeing the PRL, and I got a pic on Railpictures.net!

« Last Edit: Aug 25th, 2008, 5:50pm by adam17 » Logged
rob216
Historian
  Picture_001.jpg - 88190 Bytes
« Reply #162 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 4:04pm »

I was out around my town of Oxford today, and noticed a few new things along the tracks in town.  First up is what to me looks like a side dump car.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/Picture_001.jpg
Click Image to Resize

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

Moderator: Short lines, Eastern Pennsylvania
rob216
Historian
  Picture_002.jpg - 89137 Bytes
« Reply #163 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 4:07pm »

The next item its not new to the line, but in a new location.  It used to sit down in Kelton.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/Picture_002.jpg
Click Image to Resize

My opinion is just that, my opinion and in no way represents the company I work with.

rob216
Historian
  GenShorts/Picture_005.jpg (Note: Can't Find Attachment!)
« Reply #164 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 4:10pm »

If you look closely to the pic above, you can see it was part of Conrail.  Looks like number 2887.  But if you look at this close up pic of the number, you can make out New Hope & Ivyland.  My question is,  did it ever serve there at one time?

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2007, 4:11pm by rob216 » Logged

rob216
Historian
  Picture_004-2.jpg - 103647 Bytes
« Reply #165 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 4:17pm »

And the last one.  Looks like to me as if used to be a dinner car for Amtrak.  But in the blue paint, it has C&O 3620.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/Picture_004-2.jpg
Click Image to Resize

livesteamsteve
Railfan

« Reply #166 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 5:28pm »

Rob, as far as I know, the U Boat with NH&I on the side did run there.  I have seen pictures of U Boat(s) running or stored on their track (can't remember too well).  They were not owned by the RR, but by McHugh Bros., who operated the RR in the 70s and 80s.

Got Steam!!!
engineer
Enthusiast

« Reply #167 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 8:03pm »

both the u boat and the passenger car have a date with the scrapper  the passenger car used to be a first class car on the c&o then amtrak 

« Last Edit: Nov 12th, 2007, 8:07pm by engineer » Logged

nobody rides on my train without a ticket!!!!!
rwk
Historian

« Reply #168 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 11:34pm »

Noooooo! Not SCRAPPED! How could they scrap a historic passenger coach (diner) and a rare diesel? They look in bad condition, but why scrap them? A tourist RR could use that Amtrak car. Or it could be converted into a roadside diner. They don't build coaches like that anymore. Especially since Budd is out of business, not sure about Pullman.

rwk
Historian

« Reply #169 on: Nov 12th, 2007, 11:56pm »

Why no passenger on the Octoraro? What about excursions on the W&N? It's a shame the Brandywine Valley went out of business and the train rides ended. I never got to ride them. Will there EVER be the opportunity for any public excursion on either of those two lines? What happened with the East Penn Scenic in Kutztown? Will they run again? What's with all the insurance crap killing passenger trains? Will there ever be a passenger movement on the Qtown line again? Any possibility for reopening the line north of Calif. Rd? Or commuter service restored between Shelly (or Bethlehem) and Lansdale? Last commuter train from Bethlehem was June 30, 1981 and last commuter train from Qtown was July 26, 1981. I rode one of the special excursions on Oct. 13 at 8 am on the Pennsburg line to Vera Cruz and return. Will there be future excursions over that line or was that a once and done deal? What is PRL/EPRY's attitude toward passenger trains?

engineer
Enthusiast

« Reply #170 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 7:52pm »

at this time no  more passenger trains are scheduled. the u boat has a bent fame on the long hood end the passenger car is also beyond repair. east penn scenic is shut down . as far as quakertown it is unknown for commuter service septa would have to upgrade the entire line as well as run wires for electric trains and signals

« Last Edit: Nov 13th, 2007, 7:59pm by engineer » Logged

nobody rides on my train without a ticket!!!!!
rob216
Historian

« Reply #171 on: Nov 13th, 2007, 11:57pm »

Just a few more questions from me.   Where did the Amtrak car come from? Wouldn't it be easier for it to be taken to Coatsville for the scrap yard there?  And also for the engine to be taken there?  I know it used to sit there in Kelton.

rwk
Historian

« Reply #172 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 1:38am »

So I guess PRL/EPRY is not into passenger trains like Reading & Northern, or Strasburg, or New Hope & Ivyland. And is the Kutztown train ride shut down permanently? What about any special excursions on the Quakertown line? Will there ever be train rides again on the Perkiomen branch out of Pennsburg? The ones in October were great. In my area there's two steam tourist trains near by, the WK&S and the Bel-Del in Phillipsburg, NJ. I live near Allentown, PA close to Fogelsville.

Mr. Horsepower
Historian

« Reply #173 on: Nov 14th, 2007, 3:52am »

on Nov 13th, 2007, 11:57pm, rob216 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Just a few more questions from me.   Where did the Amtrak car come from? Wouldn't it be easier for it to be taken to Coatsville for the scrap yard there?  And also for the engine to be taken there?  I know it used to sit there in Kelton.

Thats that same AMTK coach that used to sit in the yard at South Modena. Thats a good point...Why isnt Coatesville scrapping them? The U-boat used to sit in Pocopson as well.

-JRS

"Our Lady of Blessed Acceleration, don't fail us now." - The Blues Brothers
EPRY7874
Chaser

« Reply #174 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 3:31pm »

It is unknown what will happen as far as excursions. but I can tell you this/ With horns being stolen and fistfights occuring during the last round of trips on the Perk as well as railfans trespassing on private property and standing on railcars for pictures all i can say is that the railfan community isnt helping itself. It is nice to have these rare mileage trips to run but people just cant seem to control themselves creating headaches for the railroad. Freight cars dont complain and there isnt a motorcade of people running into each other, fighting, and trespassing why should any railroad open themselves up to such problems. I am not trying to start a fight but think of all these things just mentioned and think about the point of view for the railroad. Just my two cents worth.

Keep Firing Ass*@!#$
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #175 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 5:52pm »

on Nov 18th, 2007, 3:31pm, EPRY7874 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
With...fistfights occuring during the last round of trips on the Perk... all i can say is that the railfan community isnt helping itself.

Hadn't heard that one...really?
Guess I missed that by going on Oct 6th.
-Charlie

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
OWFan
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #176 on: Nov 18th, 2007, 6:08pm »

rwk,

just some info to clarify.  east penn scenic was privately owned to the best info that I have, not epry.  the owners have moved on and the equipment appears that it is being prep'ed to move.  where I don't know.  can anyone help out on this?

NHIWW
Historian
View Profile   WWW  

« Reply #177 on: Nov 19th, 2007, 12:48am »

Brandywine Scenic was forced out of business when the contract between PADOT/SEPTA and the Delaware Valley Railway was not renewed, but instead given to Brandywine Valley Railroad/Lukens Steel for the W&N and the SEPTA owned Octoraro Branch trackage put up for sale and short term operation by the M&E.  Had all this not happened, the BSRY would still be running excursions over the PA portion of the W&N.

The best chances of any type of excursion on the W&N or the Octoraro Branch would be if the EPRY re-created the relationship that the Octoraro Rwy had with the Wilmington & Western which ran excursions with W&W supplied equipment in the 80's & 90's. They are the closest supply of equipment to the EPRY.  

Doing so would eliminate the need for securing crews & equipment. Then again, those excursions benefited the W&W, not the Octoraro...so, it depends on what the owners of the EPRY would want.

There were issues with the ROW that stopped the W&W excursions in the 90's...some of those issues were dealt with when DV took over from Octoraro, but mainly in PA since that trackage was owned by PennDot which is why the BSRY was able to run excursions...the W&N below the state line was not up to class 1 standards for Passenger trains.  

« Last Edit: Nov 19th, 2007, 3:46am by NHIWW » Logged

rob216
Historian

« Reply #178 on: Dec 1st, 2007, 1:33pm »

I got out of work early today and lucky for me they were working the line today.  I had my camera with but unlucky for me, I only had 40 seconds of recording time left.  Heres what I was able to get.  It would have been nice to get the whole train with the caboose bring up the back.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMhp9LhjcfM

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2007, 1:38pm by rob216 » Logged

rwk
Historian

« Reply #179 on: Dec 8th, 2007, 1:03am »

But, there's a better chance of an excursion happening on a shortline than CSX or NS, although Juniata Terminal's train with PRR E8's ran on NS tracks November 2-6 from Philly through Reading, Allentown, Bethlehem, Easton, Phillipsburg, Brainards NJ, Martins Creek PA, Bangor, Portland, and Delaware-Lackawanna to Steamtown the Steamtown excursion line then CP to Binghamton old DL&W, then to Olean, NY , Harrisburg, PA via NS and back to Philly on Amtrak. I saw the train go by at Macungie near where I live. It is very rare to see a passenger train on the line between Reading-Allentown. In Sept. 1985, fall 1987 and 1988 Blue Mountain & Reading ran trips with Reading T1 #2102 to Jim Thorpe via Allentown, as well as Philly, Harrisburg, etc. in 1985 they departed from Temple station, but in 1987 and 1988 they departed from South Hamburg picking up people at Shoemakersville, Leesport, and Temple.

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »