Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Jul 25th, 2017, 3:05pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Penn Eastern Rail Line
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regionals and Short Lines
   Short Lines
(Moderators: rob216, DNatureofDTrain, NS3360)
   Penn Eastern Rail Line
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Penn Eastern Rail Line  (Read 17030 times)
hummel1237
Historian
Penn Eastern Rail Line

« on: Feb 6th, 2004, 5:16am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Does anyone have any information on this line?

Jim...

Charlie_O
Historian
Re: Penn Eastern Rail Line
  PRL_57_2204_alt.jpg - 81510 Bytes
« Reply #1 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 12:06pm »

on Feb 6th, 2004, 5:16am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Does anyone have any information on this line?
Jim...

Hey Jim -
PRL is a short line that operates what used to be the Lancaster & Northern.  They rest much of their power at the old RDG station at Reinholds, PA (Rt 897).  They used to run an old TTI U-boat and an ex-CR Geep, but lately they've acquired some Providence and Worcester GE's.  

PRL interchanges with NS at Sinking Spring and runs south to (I believe) Ephrata.  The January 04 Railpace has a nice set of photos and topo maps, including a guide to chasing this little line.  

I believe they also operate on the Reading's Perk branch from Pennsburg to Emmaus Jct, where they interchange with NS.  Saw what I think was one of their Geeps at East Greenville awhile back.  

Hope this helps.
-Charlie

Oh and here's a pic from Reinholds last winter...at left is the CR GP10 and at right a newly repainted P&W U23B.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/PRL_57_2204_alt.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2006, 11:18pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Feb 6th, 2004, 2:39pm »

on Feb 6th, 2004, 12:06pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Hey Jim -
PRL is a short line that operates what used to be the Lancaster & Northern.  They rest much of their power at the old RDG station at Reinholds, PA (Rt 897).  They used to run an old TTI U-boat and an ex-CR Geep, but lately they've acquired some Providence and Worcester GE's.  

PRL interchanges with NS at Sinking Spring and runs south to (I believe) Ephrata.  The January 04 Railpace has a nice set of photos and topo maps, including a guide to chasing this little line.  

I believe they also operate on the Reading's Perk branch from Pennsburg to Emmaus Jct, where they interchange with NS.  Saw what I think was one of their Geeps at East Geenville awhile back.  

Hope this helps.
-Charlie

Oh and here's a pic from Reinholds last winter...at left is the CR GP10 and at right a newly repainted P&W U23B.

Thanks Charlie! Nice photo!

Jim...  

Charlie_O
Historian
  LaNo_57_bw.jpg - 41107 Bytes
« Reply #3 on: Feb 11th, 2004, 8:49pm »

As long as we're talking about the PRL...

A recent photo on RailPictures.net shows PRL units at Reading.  They usually don't get past Sinking Spring.  Any ideas on what brought them this far.  Special move perhaps?

-Charlie

PS - Here's an old b/w pic I took of the Geep at Reinholds...
Funny, I wasn't railfanning when I took this; I just liked the way the old engine looked with the broom.

http://Forums.Railfan.net/Images/GenShorts/LaNo_57_bw.jpg
Click Image to Resize

« Last Edit: Feb 11th, 2004, 8:51pm by Charlie_O » Logged

Some days, the most interesting person you meet is a river with a train running beside it.
hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 6:11am »

on Feb 11th, 2004, 8:49pm, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
As long as we're talking about the PRL...

A recent photo on RailPictures.net shows PRL units at Reading.  They usually don't get past Sinking Spring.  Any ideas on what brought them this far.  Special move perhaps?

-Charlie

PS - Here's an old b/w pic I took of the Geep at Reinholds...
Funny, I wasn't railfanning when I took this; I just liked the way the old engine looked with the broom.

Funny you should mention Sinking Spring. I went there wanting to see something besides NS but that's all I saw the day I went.  It's a hike for me.  Oh well...

Jim...

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2004, 10:18am »

Jim-
The Jan 04 Railpace has a rough schedule for the PRL at Sinking Spring.  Should help you catch'm.
-Charlie

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #6 on: Feb 25th, 2004, 6:10am »

on Feb 12th, 2004, 10:18am, Charlie_O wrote:       (Click here for original message)
Jim-
The Jan 04 Railpace has a rough schedule for the PRL at Sinking Spring.  Should help you catch'm.
-Charlie

I get Trains. Maybe on Saturday you could give me that info...

Jim...  

« Last Edit: Feb 25th, 2004, 6:50am by hummel1237 » Logged
Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Feb 25th, 2004, 10:08am »

on Feb 25th, 2004, 6:10am, hummel1237 wrote:       (Click here for original message)
I get Trains. Maybe on Saturday you could give me that info...

Jim-
IM me later this week and I'll try to bring the issue with me Saturday.
-Charlie

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #8 on: Apr 20th, 2004, 6:47am »

on Apr 19th, 2004, 5:17pm, strasburg475 wrote:       (Click here for original message)

Remember, if you want pics, sound recordings, or general info on this shortline, don't hesitate to contact me!!

Pics would be a great start. I'd like to come out and video sometime and could use a friend to guide me around.  

BTW - If you like 2-8-2s Mikados we're trying to have a get together with moderators and fans in Phillipsburg NJ on May 1st '04. The Bel-Del is running #142 (Mike) from there to Carpentersville and back. Let Charlie O know...

Jim...  

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #9 on: Apr 20th, 2004, 5:56pm »

Here's what I gathered from Railpace...

The PRL moves freight Monday-Wednesday-Friday.  The line between Sinking Spring to Stevens is only a few miles, so chasing shouldn't be hard.  Crew call is 7 a.m. at Reinholds...they head south as a light engine move to pick up empties at one or more of the lumber customers in Stevens then head north to the NS interchange at Sinking Spring.  Then they return south.  There are other line customers along the route as well.  From what I've read, Fritztown Rd parallels the ROW north of Reinholds, with Xings at Bran Rd, Shearer Rd, and Vinemont.  

Good luck.
-Charlie

hummel1237
Historian

« Reply #10 on: Apr 21st, 2004, 2:01pm »

I have a 4 and 13 year old myself so I know how it is being a parent and I agree. I figured they would be the ones calling anyway. However, Charlie O posted the website and you can get the time and place from there...

A group of us are "trying" to meet up at Phillipsburg NJ 5-01-04 and I thought you might want to tag along - that's all. Not clad in stone just yet...

Didn't mean to upset the apple cart...

Jim...  

« Last Edit: Apr 21st, 2004, 2:13pm by hummel1237 » Logged
prr9137
TRAINing

« Reply #11 on: May 29th, 2004, 10:30am »

I would like to set the record straight. I work for the PRL and we run M.W.F. pulling from Reinholds at 0700 (am). We work south first to gather cars, then we run north to Sinking Springs. We run over the NS to interchange in Reading. We then return to our home rails with loads to go south. We also operate other lines such as the Perkieom ( Pennsburg to Emmaus Jct), Colebrookdale (Boyertown to Pottstown), Kutztown branch (Kutztown to Topton), Chester Valley (King of Prussia to Bridgeport), Bristol Ind. (Bristol), And the Quakertown branch ( Quakertown to Telford) this is listed as East Penn Railways our sister company. Any other info you need we could work out.  Hope this helps.     Don

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #12 on: May 30th, 2004, 11:36pm »

Don -
Thanks for the info.  
-Charlie

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29th, 2004, 12:08pm »

Say Don, when would be a good time to see the train come up to the NS interchange in Emmaus. Is it prediictable or is it only when needed.

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

ATF1224
Chaser

« Reply #14 on: Jun 30th, 2004, 1:04am »

I'm working on a MSTS replica of the PRL between Stevens and Sinking Springs, and then NS from Sinking Spring to Spring Street.

I'm looking for detail photos of the sidings and spurs along the line so I can get it as accurate as possible.  

So far I have the PRL mainline laid between Stevens and Sinking Spring.  I want to get the actual PRL part of the route done before I attempt to model any urban scenery.

Thanks!

Jake Mensel
prr9137
TRAINing

« Reply #15 on: Jun 30th, 2004, 10:39pm »

The best time to catch the Perk crew is Tuesday and Thursday. They start out of Pennsburg about  0800. The normal move is gather empties and then run to Emmaus Jct.         Don

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #16 on: Jun 30th, 2004, 11:09pm »

Thankyou for the reply to the Perk crew. I think i seen them at emmaus junction a moth ago when i went over a grade crossing down from the junction(not the one next to it). But by the time i got down they were gone. It was a Thursday. I heard they rum on Saturdays to(is this true)?

One day I shall be a Lighthouse Keeper on a small grassy island in a remote part of a sea in Heaven for eternity. Thankyou God for giving me that oppurtunity.

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #17 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 11:26pm »

Caught the PRL Perkiomen crew today for the first time ever at Emmaus Junction.
Them and NS were dropping and picking up from each other. A great present for me to see on my b. day.

Charlie_O
Historian

« Reply #18 on: Aug 24th, 2004, 11:41pm »

Happy b'day dude.

-Charlie

The Scyther
Historian
View Profile  

« Reply #19 on: Aug 25th, 2004, 11:04am »

Thanks Charlie O

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8  ...  15 (last) ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« Previous topic | Next topic »