Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Oct 19th, 2017, 8:54am
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Bachmann G Royal Blue
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Model Railroading
   Garden Railways
(Moderators: BC_and_A_railway, GardenRailroadGuy)
   Bachmann G Royal Blue
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Bachmann G Royal Blue  (Read 3783 times)
VentureForth
Historian
Bachmann G Royal Blue

« on: Dec 7th, 2013, 8:44pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Well, I sure hope I can get a word in edge wise over here!  

My wife just  introduced me to my third  model rail gauge with a purchase of the  item mentioned in the title from a local garage  sale. So there are a  couple of issues. 1)  it's there a kit to convert the coaches and drumhead  to be lighted? 2)  no soundout of the caboose. 3)  what  steam  fluid do I use?   It's obvious this ain't the $300 set he told my wife, but I still got a  good deal...

Any  tips or help would be great.

GG1man
TRAINing
View Profile  

Re: Bachmann G Royal Blue

« Reply #1 on: Dec 7th, 2013, 11:43pm »

OK, so you have some work ahead of you.  There are many ways to approach the lighting.  The most effective and simplest method I have found so far is LED lighting powered by a nine volt battery.  LED self adhesive lighting strips can be found on Evilbay.  They can be cut to length and wire leads can be soldered to the tiny brass terminals.  I have found switched nine volt battery boxes on Ebay also.  These can be mounted on the underside of the coach allowing for easy access to the switch.  The nine volt battery will last a long time, since it is powering LEDs, which take next to nothing to operate.  

"No sound out of the caboose".  I'm not sure what sound you are referring to.  The tender is where Bachmann sound systems are located.  The water fill hatch lifts up and a nine volt battery is inserted.  

Assuming your set has a smoke generator, the proper smoke fluid would be the one made by Bachmann.  Although most any brand of smoke fluid will work just fine.  I have been using simple lamp oil.  I buy it in quart bottles at Home depot.  It's a lot less expensive than the smoke fluids sold by train manufacturers.  

For much more information on Bachmann Big Haulers, go to this site;

http://www.girr.org/girr/tips/tips1/big_hauler_tips.html  

« Last Edit: Dec 7th, 2013, 11:44pm by GG1man » Logged
TAB
Historian

« Reply #2 on: Dec 8th, 2013, 1:06pm »

GG1man.....although not a G Scaller, I found there to be a wealth of information in that site referenced by the link you provided. The sections on electronics were especially useful...Thanks!....Tom

Moderator...Scratchbuilding and Kitbashing
VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #3 on: Dec 8th, 2013, 11:31pm »

Fantastic stuff.  I  really appreciate it.  I  will check out the link. I  guess my confusion about the sound comes from the fact  there is a lead from the loco to the tender and a switch.  The need for additional batteries befuddled me as this isn't typical in the 'N'  world.  Heck, a 9v  is about the size of one of my cabooses!  

GG1man
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #4 on: Dec 9th, 2013, 12:02am »

Now that you have discovered Large Scale, you're in for a whole new adventure.  Check out "G Scale Central Forums".  A bunch of happy garden railroaders are there to help you along, whether you decide to go outdoors or build an indoor layout.

VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #5 on: Dec 10th, 2013, 1:06pm »

I dunno 'bout that.  

I ran the thing for almost 20 minutes yesterday, and the motor melted the casing box.  Now the motor won't sit tight enough to engage the gears.

As for the aforementioned website, it's great.  It has some good tips, but it looks like that Big Billy's repair shop (or something like that) is outta business.    

This makes HO look cheeeep.

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2013, 1:08pm by VentureForth » Logged
GG1man
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #6 on: Dec 10th, 2013, 10:34pm »

Sorry to hear about your mishap.  Bachmann Large Scale locomotives were never known for their robustness.  Although twenty minutes can hardly be considered a torture test.  

You mentioned that your wife bought the set at a yard sale.  When I was modeling Lionel High Rail, I would search yard sales for items.  Rarely did I find anything worth buying.  Most people, back then, had this notion that all Lionel Trains were worth a fortune, so even the junk was priced too high.  

Not that your wife's purchase was junk, but as I mentioned, Bachmann locos will not stand up to too much abuse.  It may be that the set was misused in some way that caused some damage to the motor.  

Yes, Barry's Big trains is no longer doing business.  But don't be discouraged about large scale or garden railroading.  Check out Ebay for a used LGB or Aristocraft loco.  Look at the LGB Stainz steam locos or their Schoema diesels.  Most of the time the Stainz locos can be had for under a hundred dollars.  LGB trains are like the old  Lionel that ran when you placed them on the track, even after being in storage for forty years.  

As for HO being less costly, the argument could be made that, in relative terms, both scales basically equal out in cost in the end.  In the smaller scales more "Stuff" is needed as opposed to the large scales.  

Have a look at my own garden railway.  It has evolved over the last 22 plus years.  here's one video that can lead you to my others.

http://youtu.be/SRb-voXREMg

Let us know how you make out.  

« Last Edit: Dec 10th, 2013, 10:38pm by GG1man » Logged
VentureForth
Historian

« Reply #7 on: Dec 11th, 2013, 1:35pm »

Thanks for the encouragement.  I have found that for about what Bachmann's cost for replacement under its limited lifetime warranty, I can get a new chassis with all new gears & underbody for $20 less.  For $50, according to the customer service rep, I can put on a "newer" chassis (NOT the Anniversary edition) which has some upgraded components to it.

As far as building outside in the garden, I would love to.  However, dogs and a pretty decent slope hinders that idea a bit...

GG1man
TRAINing
View Profile  

« Reply #8 on: Dec 11th, 2013, 9:15pm »

I here you about the dogs.  My garden railway wasn't started until a few years after our dog died.  We never got another dog after our experience with him.  There would have been no way for us to have trains in the garden with a dog.  Cats, on the other hand, are quite the opposite.  The only time the cat can do a bit of mischief is when I put down fresh ballast.  While it's still easy to dig into, he thinks he can use it as a litter box.  Once the ballast has set for a few days and starts to knit together, he can't do his duty any more.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »