Railfan.net Home Railfan Photos ABPR Archives Staff Safari Photos Railfan Links

Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums Railfan.net Forums
Welcome, Guest. Please Sign In or Register. Apr 23rd, 2017, 11:42pm
Categories •  FastIndex •  LongIndex •  Help •  Search •  Members  •  Sign In •  Register

Information on Amtrak Pennsylvanian train
   Railfan.net Web Forums
   Regional Area Operations
   Eastern Pennsylvania
(Moderators: rob216, MH765)
« No topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint
   Author  Topic: Information on Amtrak Pennsylvanian train  (Read 32 times)
unveiler
TRAINing
View Profile  

« on: Feb 8th, 2017, 10:48pm »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

New here and may be in the wrong place - please direct me and I will adjust accordingly. Tried the Rolling Stock/Diesel board but no responses. Thank you in advance for any guidance.  

Looking for sources on this specific train and/or answers to the following questions for a story I am writing.  

1. Can this train withstand a solar flare hit? Says motive power is Genesis diesel-electric so guessing electronics would fry precluding use. If so, could an engineer circumvent electronics and somehow "jump start" the train?  

2. Can a person climb on top and find a roof door/hatch to get inside the train? If not, would someone be able to somehow pick the lock of one of the doors between cars while the train is moving? Yes, sounds ridiculous.  

3. Can the train go fast enough to jump the tracks? If not, would any factors increase the odds, like having all of the cars of the train covered with people, enhancing the chance of an imbalance?  

While this is a part of the story getting the main character from point A to B, I want to make it as realistic as possible in deference to you all and everyone who knows and loves trains. Thank you in advance for any help or guidance!

George_Harris
Historian
Re: Information on Amtrak Pennsylvanian train

« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2017, 12:13am »
Quick-Jump   Reply w/Quote   Modify

Where originally placed in Locomotives and Rolling Stock was the more appropriate location.  Look there for a response.

Pages: 1  ReplyReply     EMail TopicEMail Topic   PrintPrint

« No topic | Next topic »